Walking A Mother With Pups

mini girl

ive always made it a rule that I never take my girl with pups out walking just in case they pick something up and bring it back to the pups. Had an enquiry from a friend who has her first litter and she asked if it's ok to walk the New mother along with her other two dogs it's not a big litter and pups are two weeks old I did say I'd not do that but what do others do.

I am lucky that we are on a big farm and all dog walking is within our property. Would your other dogs not bring home anything they had picked up anyway? I think that if mum has vaccinated and is healthy and pups are healthy they should be covered for most things from the immunity they get from her?

I take my mum and other dogs out training - appropriate level for the Mum of course. If I don't she (and the others) get super antsy. I've got high energy dogs though and it really does make for a calmer household and better maternal behaviour if they've been allowed to blow off steam. If I let Em run in the back block she'd either scratch the daylights out of her under carriage or injure herself launching at breakneck speed - just wants to go hunting again. When she had uterine inertia all she wanted to do was go hunting.

• 1 month later...

I've always walked (or run) 'momma dog' . . . but been careful to walk in areas where I've seldom if ever seen other dogs.  I hate the idea of depriving a normally active bitch of exercise; I doubt if anyone has ever did any study of this, but it seems like old fashioned and now debunked notions of 'confinement' for human mothers.  My impression is that exercise helps the bitch settle into her role as mother.

Edited by sandgrubber