A Child And Her Dog

asal

My biggest issue is how does the child tell what dogs are OK to do this and what aren't?

When I see photos of kids crawling all over dogs it makes me sick, awesome,your dog is OK with that. But what's to say that the next dog the child sees will be?

It's just not worth the risk.

I rather teach my kids to respect dogs, just because they will out up with something, doesn't mean they should.

I believe even small kids are WELL able to distinguish between their own dog and a strange dog :)

once again .. it is up to parents to instil respect and knowledge .

As kids, we used to do all sorts of things to our dogs ... but would NEVER attempt to try anything on one of the working dogs , let alone a dog we didn't know. Why is it so hard to teach this nowdays?

We knew we'd be snapped at by the dog , or chastised by a parent if we did the 'wrong' thing ..simple consequences .So we learned ...

Kids today miss out on so much that we took for granted as children , they may be in the computer age but I suspect we were the lucky ones.

My dad had a building supply business and in the 50's your surveliance system was your guard dogs, no camera's then. anyone could enter and inspect the goods, the deal was once you had decided you told dad or one of his brothers which items you wanted and paid as dad or his brothers loaded your purchases... If you tried to load them yourself one of the dogs stopped you.

no kidding, they knew the rules. no shop lifting problems there.

dad had german shepherds, the original ones, and once Blue the red cattledog arrived, it was ACD's from that day forward, he was amazing he knew the drill from day one no need to be taught like the others, in the best ACD's its instinct. anyone enter after closing if no one was home would discover they were not allowed to leave until someone in the family arrived to tell the dogs it was ok to let them leave.

when I married took one with me to my new home, came home from shopping to discover my new landlord had been "waiting" 2 hours for me to come home. he was allowed to sit on the verandah but leave? no chance. thought he would do the biscuit. but thankfully he was thrilled. reckoned wouldn't need to worry about his house being damaged by burglars regardless of whether I was home or not

Edited by asal

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I have a great chance to teach both control. They are never unsupervised. Neither has hurt the other and they show a lot of affection. Try to hurt that child and you will see another side to the dog. No guessing about it.

If you were producing dogs to be good with kids, how else to test that?

If you want dogs able to respond to environments they will be kept in, that needs to be tested in the environment.

I figure you can't expect to keep dogs protected from every environmental stress, and end up with dogs that can handle environmental stresses.

And the same goes for my Grand daughter.

I Think kids need to grow up with a dog.

You would need to see this kid to believe how confident, how much empathy and maturity she has, and how physicaly competent. :o I may be biased.

She 2 yo this month.

post-32332-0-20098800-1483835264_thumb.jpg

post-32332-0-61851100-1483835292_thumb.jpg

Edited by moosmum

The little dog is left alone. Shes old and grumpy and deserves her peace. G.D gets that she is handled differently.

And that ears and tails etc aren't to be pulled or grabbed etc. Looking gently is O.K. And she seems to have an understanding of Dog body (and sound) language already. The new Tentie pup is also getting some valuable lessons and forming a great relationship with children.

Thank you. I think so too. :)

I may have done myself out of a dog tho'. :laugh:

And I think for her, other dogs will have a hard time measuring up to her memories.

She will have high expectations. Finding some one who works to meet them is already much harder.

Edited by moosmum

Thank you. I think so too. :)

I may have done myself out of a dog tho'. :laugh:

And I think for her, other dogs will have a hard time measuring up to her memories.

She will have high expectations. Finding some one who works to meet them is already much harder.

Beautiful series of photos of fantastic interaction between a littlie and her dog. ( :laugh: )

I think the difference between what you posted and the original post is that there is no interaction between the first little girl and the dog. She is simply using the dogs tail for her own ends as if it is inanimate. And to me that's a concern and a possible indicator of things to come. Both interactions are entirely different IMO.

no interaction between the first little girl and the dog. She is simply using the dogs tail for her own ends as if it is inanimate. And to me that's a concern and a possible indicator of things to come. Both interactions are entirely different IMO.

Ok .. clinical eye assessment ;)

I did notice ..but the littlie was painting ..not playing with the dog ;) if she had ..in those couple of minutes , squeaked at the dog.. or patted it - she would have lost her brush !! An Artist's priority !! :p

* dares not tell WM that often I will use a nice long dog front leg as a back scratcher ... !! " yes, still attached to dog ...

This little girl is in another video as well :) even cuter !

https://www.facebook...00348355255630/

LOl ..doesn't look as if the dogs have a terrible life ...

12278662_10100336967596590_4762506054236926605_n.jpg?oh=33c1cf904322ff7275306f6ffd6ce9d1&oe=58E8FFFB

Edited by persephone

Thanks Perse but I think you miss my point. In a small child who is developmentally immature I maintain that as a former clinician, that behaviour would make me look twice. Last time we met, you were a lovely mature interactive adult making conscious decisions to use paws as a back scratcher :laugh: - unless something has changed since then ;) :laugh: And I doubt you do it without any interaction with the dog! (Using the paw as a back scratcher is not a bad idea! Might try that one myself! :laugh:). And I'm not for one moment suggesting the dog has a terrible life at all - I'm simply questioning a piece of child interaction (or lack thereof) that as a clinician may concern me.

yes, I understand .. and you are probably correct ..however we only saw a snippet ... and I guess I'm stirring :p

Yes we only saw a snippet - you're quite right. But that snippet made me do a double take. And please load video of back scratching paw! :rasberry::provoke:

yes, I understand .. and you are probably correct ..however we only saw a snippet ... and I guess I'm stirring :p

Yes we only saw a snippet - you're quite right. But that snippet made me do a double take. And please load video of back scratching paw! :rasberry::provoke:

bit hard to do a selfie of that!! LOL

Listening to the video, they are talking to the dog and telling the kid to be gentle in both videos.

most dogs will get up and move away if they are annoyed.

we have two dogs and recently a house full of 4 kids who LOVE dogs.  The kids were told to not cuddle the male dog as only we can do that and I don't to risk him getting cranky which he has in the past (just jumped up suddenly), whereas the female is pretty much bomb proof has never reacted negatively to anyone. This visit she just moved away if she had enough which us exactly what you want.

the kids were taught to respect the dogs and leave them alone when eating, sleeping on their mats and telling them to be gentle when taking a treat - after each dog did something.

i think, if done correctly, having a dog growing up is a wonderful thing.

With having a dog as a child, I think that's an interesting discussion (sort of related to OP but nevermind)

Both my parents had dogs growing up, Dad got a corgi x kelpie for his 2nd birthday, and my Pop was a shearer so Mum always had both pet and working dogs around. 

When I was little, Dad worked in the hospitality industry and would be shifted about for jobs and I lived in about 8 houses/hotels by the time I started school haha. That's probably why we never had a dog as it would be very irresponsible to have a dog when we moved about like that. So I didn't grow up with a dog. But I think part of that caused me to be TERRIFIED of dogs, I obviously didn't understand them (despite much trying by my parents, I had several books), and if I saw a dog on a leash 50m up the street I'd cling to Dad's leg or try and climb up on him if the dog was getting closer. Even if it was a small white fluffy or something completely un-threatening in the slightest. I had a few "bad" experiences with dogs that I think I decided they were scary somewhere in my little 2 year old brain. The kelpie next door would get out and chase me wanting to play. I'm sure I'd think she was lovely now but she was definitely hyperactive and disobedient. Enough to knock my confidence. When I started school, lots of parents would bring their dogs while walking the kids to school, and they were allowed up to the classroom pretty much. So myself and a few other little kids got dogs banned from school (sorry!! I would love to bring my dogs walking to school now, but in consideration for worried/unconfident kids it's not a good idea :( ) Anyway until I was maybe 7 or 8 I was scared of dogs, except there were a few calm ones that I liked. I was obsessed with horses but I wasn't allowed one despite much trying to convince my parents. I decided dogs weren't so scary and that they were pretty cute, then somewhere along the line I decided I wanted a puppy, and after even more convincing I think Mum and Dad were glad I was finally not scared of dogs. So we got my first dog when I was 9 and I've been obsessed since then haha. But I feel if we had a calm dog since I was a baby I would've never been so scared.