Coffee Grinders

Yes, you read it correctly laugh.gif

Tamar likes the kibble I buy (Delicate Care recommended when I was desperate to find something Danny liked). I fact they all like it, having tried so many different brands.

However Tamar (like so many of her breed) no longer has a tooth in her much loved little head and I have been grinding up the kibble and dried chicken pices to sprinkle on the usual raw beef in a pestle and mortar.

It takes me ages and I regularly just have a bowl of it grinding away while watching television or reading.

It occurred to me that a coffee grinder might be easier and obviously that brings me to the Brains Trust to ask if anyone else has done this and if anyone has recommendations for what brand to buy.

TIA.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

I'd probably go a smallish blender or food processor over coffee grinder just based on the differing consistencies of coffee beans and kibble.

Having said that, Breville do make some nice cheaper coffee/spice grinders.

Edit: just remember that because you're using it for kibble, you'll be voiding any warranty on the product.

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

Thank goodness I am not alone embarrass.gif. I do have a blender, but the food gets caught all around the blades. I thought a coffee blender (I’ve never used one) would be an easier solution.

It's an old one DDD, but yes, I used a coffee bean grinder for grinding dry food for weaning my puppies. Think it is a B&D

I also use it to grind dried liver

Oh thanks, Starkehre.

Would soaking and mushing not be easier for a toothless oldie? Then mix with mince?

Any left overs get put back into the container and so they do become mushy; she just seems to prefer it ground up and sprinkled over the mince. embarrass.gif What we do for them.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Thank goodness I am not alone embarrass.gif. I do have a blender, but the food gets caught all around the blades. I thought a coffee blender (I’ve never used one) would be an easier solution.

It's an old one DDD, but yes, I used a coffee bean grinder for grinding dry food for weaning my puppies. Think it is a B&D

I also use it to grind dried liver

Oh thanks, Starkehre.

Would soaking and mushing not be easier for a toothless oldie? Then mix with mince?

Any left overs get put back into the container and so they do become mushy; she just seems to prefer it ground up and sprinkled over the mince. embarrass.gif What we do for them.

Naaaww, well she deserves what she likes! Sounds like coffee grinders can be pretty cheap and kibble would be softer than coffee beans so should work :)

could you also pop it in a plastic/freezer bag and just whack it with a meat tenderiser?

That is how I squished Amber's kibble when I wanted to make it into a powder. It is errr good therapy too!

I'm sure it would be :)

LOL. I am not one for bashing things when I need therapy. I’m more go out and water the lawn laugh.giflaugh.gif