Thoughts on Vets All Natural

Wow, new forum layout has thrown me off a bit here :o Hopefully people find this, haha!

Just tossing up my options with feeding my dogs. Their daily food ration is 1.5 cups of MFM kibble + 200g of balanced raw mix that I make up myself.

I've been looking into Vets All Natural... would love to give it a try but the website says my dogs will need 1 cup of VAN + 400g of meat...

Was just wondering whether anyone on here feeds VAN and how you go about it? I'd love to be able to just keep doing what I do regarding meat and just swap out the kibble for VAN...

Also wondering what kinds of meats people are using with VAN.

I dont feed it myself, if i did it would be the grain free variety as there are quite a few grains in the other. 

Most people i know feed it with kangaroo :) But no harm (in fact probably better) if you switch it up a bit. Chicken and beef would be easy sources also. 

Thanks for the responses :) One thing that doesn't seem clear from the VAN website is whether to just feed muscle meat or whether it's recommended to feed organs/bone as well. Also what ratios to mix in... I did send them a message about it, but haven't heard anything. 

My sister feeds it to her two, they do fantastically on it. She feeds it with beef/heart mince, and it's been great, seems to really keep them full too.

For the last week or so, she's been feeding them kibble instead as her online order didn't arrive when it was supposed to, and they have been acting hungry, which is out of the norm for both of them.

when i first started using it i did ask them questions and they did respond.

my newest dog is the first to ever turn her nose up at it, so i just gave a teaspoon at a time to build it up, and now i can give two big tablespoonful dollops and she eats it. 

they recommend roo as its the leanest meat, i use it as im trying to get weight off mine, but i have used it with chicken mince on my old dogs aswell. 

I think it's a great way to break in to raw feeding without so much risk. I wouldn't say it's as simple as feeding VAN + a meat source though, you should definitely be feeding meat and offal as you would a researched raw diet.

http://www.petfoodreviews.com.au/alternative-dog-food/vets-all-natural-complete-mix/

Edited by Dave-o

We have been using VAN for the last 4 years and have weaned and raised the last 7 litters with their puppy Complete Mix - have also encouraged new puppy families to stay with the product and about half are still using it with great results. The advantage of VAN is that it has the minerals added in a dry format so the benefit goes direct to the dog... also it is an Easy way for the average family to go raw.

The Base Diet is : (Australian Shepherds)

1 cup of soaked VAN Complete Mix and 200gm Kangaroo or Beef chunks. (my local guy also adds some of the offal, heart, kidney etc)

Extras :

We then add yoghurt once a day, drizzle some olive oil a few times a week and an egg once a week.

A can of salmon or tuna is included in the food at least once a week.

Dogs also get bones or lamb flaps perhaps twice a week and any leftovers from our family meal.

Perhaps once a month I cook up a vegi stew - silver beet, cabbage, pumpkin, apples, carrots

I ran a cost comparison with using this diet with what I feed the dogs in the boarding kennels. 

The Base Diet cost about the same as using the average supermarket kibble with supermarket dog log. 

Advantages: Smaller poo that is short dark sausages instead of soft squishy pale brown blobs. Improvement in coat softness and better natural cleaning of the teeth.

I feed VAN every other day mixed with chunks of meat and some offal. On the off days they get half a chicken or lamb necks. I found you do not need to feed as much as the directions advocate. A cup of the complete mix (dry) would be enough when soaked to share between a Kelpie and a Belgian Shepherd. Latterly I have been feeding the grain free version due to the Kelpie having a problem with reflux (just recently occurring at the age of 12). With the grain free version there is less bulk so I find that half a cup of the dry mix is sufficient when soaked for the two of them. For many years I made my own mix but VAN is so much easier particularly if I am away and OH has to feed the dogs!