RSPCA Report- do you remember a litter euth'd for shyness?

denali

Hi all, 

A while ago i remember reading an article or report about the RSPCA euthanising the animals in their care and for what reasons. 
Within it, was the story about a mother and her litter of 8 week old pups who were euthanised for being "shy." 

I was just wondering if anyone knew what this was?  More-so the case of those pups. Who were supposedly otherwise healthy animals. 
Or if i have just gone completely bonkers and this is not actually a thing. Nothing i can google comes up with it- just about how they are no-kill! 

Edited by denali

51 minutes ago, juice said:

i do remember this . weren't they cavs? i seem to think someone was fostering them and took them in to be assessed and they put them down without warning. 

this was several years ago now and yes they were Cav's in the care of a couple, at least one was a vet themselves.

2 hours ago, denali said:

Hi all, 

A while ago i remember reading an article or report about the RSPCA euthanising the animals in their care and for what reasons. 
Within it, was the story about a mother and her litter of 8 week old pups who were euthanised for being "shy." 

I was just wondering if anyone knew what this was?  More-so the case of those pups. Who were supposedly otherwise healthy animals. 
Or if i have just gone completely bonkers and this is not actually a thing. Nothing i can google comes up with it- just about how they are no-kill! 

There was something more recently then the Cav pups. I thought it was in the news forum? There were dogs of all ages and sizes put down for various reasons.

On 1/13/2017 at 5:01 PM, juice said:

i do remember this . weren't they cavs? i seem to think someone was fostering them and took them in to be assessed and they put them down without warning. 

For some reason i thought they were labs! But you are right 

Found it! Thanks guys. 
Izzy was the dog. 

However all links to the original story and the euthanasia report are now unable to be found- instead all i can get is this. 
https://www.rspcawa.asn.au/news/2014-02-10-izzy-and-her-family-the-truth

and this
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/special-features/in-depth/former-boss-attacks-lost-rspca/news-story/981ed42960cb9277a87648f6bf279a93

So not sure what the truth is there!

Edited by denali

Since one of the original carers of the dog and her puppies  was a qualified vet, so are we now to assume their qualification's don't count, because goodness knows who at the rspca disagreed with their opinion of the temperament of the dog and her puppies?

why is being employed by the rspca supposed to mean that opinion is the only valid 'expert' one?  What part of becoming an employee there inparts automatic impeecable powers of knowledge?

I know my perfectly healthy dog when he was taken, came back a mess, with pneumonia to boot, and their all knowing vet didn't even notice. My vet is still furious over the incompetence they displayed, saw him this Saturday and he came out with it, nice to know Im not the only one who remembers.

but as said above because the all knowing all powerful spell "RSPCA" invokes on anything they do or say joe public like the poster above, will say "not sure what the truth is here!"

Edited by asal

Many years ago I was going through a nasty divorce, poor health & was stone cold broke.

My beautiful Rotti boy had previously been treated for a skin complaint but the treating vet had returned back home to England.

I knew what was wrong with him & all I needed was some medicated cream which I could pay for but had no money to pay for a vet consultation.

Thinking that the RSPCA would understand, I rang & explained my predicament. A bitch vet told me that I obviously was an unfit dog owner & said to bring him in to be euthanised.

Not sure what the rest of their staff are like but if they're prepared to put up with a vet with that level of problem solving skills, then I wouldn't trust them to care for a cockroach.

I've got no respect for them what-so-ever.

Paul777 I agree - no respect for them here either.   An owner who problem solves and goes to those lengths to help their dog is to be commended!  Next time head to your local chemist - you'll not only get a better reception but a choice.   

The RSPCA needs to look at itself. Many years ago I was going through a difficult period in my life. We were evicted unfairly (which was a surprise/unexpected )  from our rental and locked out. Friends let us stay at their place. We were allowed to keep our dogs in the rental backyard while 'processes' took place. We had 2 weeks I think to sort things out and get our belongings off the property.  This included the dogs. 

We we went to see and walk the dogs every day, twice a day. But a nosy neighbour, instead of talking to us called RSPCA after a few days.

When the RSPCA spoke to me I explained our situation and that the dogs were still fed, walked, loved, visited twice daily and we were working hard on securing a new home.

We secured a new home within another week.

But my point is that the RSPCA said I had a week to find a home where I could take the dogs or they would forcibly take my two dogs into care. Then I had 6 weeks to get them, or they would be euthanized.

i was a hard working woman who adores and cares well for animals. My situation was out of the ordinary. I was shocked that the RSPCA, were instead of being supportive, threatened to take my beautiful dogs and kill them.  

Kill 2 loved healthy, cared for, members of a family going through a crisis.  

Appalling. 

Thank-you Westiemum :  )

There wont be a "next time" (touch wood - but good advice none-the-less) I've got an account where I've put $500 just for my new pup & will add $50 a month (insurance is $1,000 yearly!) just for emergencies.

I've also got a very understanding vet who will operate (touch wood that's never needed) & allow owners to pay off a bill. That's what I call a caring, animal loving vet, bless him.

Isabel1964

Appalling & sadly, I'm not surprised one little bit.

The RSPCA couldn't recognise a loving responsible owner if they fell over one.

Edited by Paul777
To add comment.

Yes it was Whipitgood.

There was also another vet friend who was wanting a puppy who had seen them and agreed they were healthy.

There is video of the pups and mum they morning of the day they were taken to the shelter for their fortnightly check and they were fine.

There was nothing wrong with those puppies 

The basic 'business model' of the RSPCA is so wrong.

I saw a story (facts were correct - all parties agreed on the facts) where a pensioner had a dog that needed surgery (severe ingrown eyelashes affecting its eye health and overall comfort level).  She could not afford the cost of the surgery upfront and unfortunately could not find a vet to do the surgery and pay it off over time (not vet bashing - understand why).

In desperation she contacted the RSPCA hoping they could help.  They refused her request and in desperation she surrendered the dog as she knew it was suffering and she could not alleviate it.  They took the dog, did the surgery and then put it in the pens for adoption.  She was not allowed to 'adopt' her own dog out of the pens, and they openly vetted each potential 'adopter' to make sure it wasnt a friend/relative of the old owner.   End result - a devastated old lady, a confused and scared dog who spent time in a noisy kennel environment unnecessarily (can only hope it settled in a new home) - and the RSPCA was out of pocket as the woman was happy to pay the whole amount of the surgery over time, which would have been more than the adoption fee.

And the bloody annoying RSPCA person could find nothing wrong with what they do - her response was that they are 'there to save animals - not to bail out people who cant look after their animals'.   Don't know how she didn't choke on the drivel the stupid *$**&&^ was saying.  All the time she was sitting on her high horse there was vision of a shattered woman and a scared, shaking SWF !!!!!     Unfortunately it was a few years ago before GFM and social media would have given the person some options

I have said this before on DOL and some were unaware so just posting again for info. NOT trying to defend or justify any actions, I don't know anything about any of the stories posted.

RSPCA is a separate organisation in each state/territory. There are differences, apparently vast, in how the different states/territories operate. SOME states/territories work together to try and operate under best practice, innovate and produce best results for thry animals. Others apparently don't. Some states are apparently very profitable, others are not and put their money back into animal care.

RSPCA AUSTRALIA is an administrative and lobbying body. They do not oversee the operations of each state/territory organisation. Funds ARE NOT shared between all the states/territory organisations, fund raising is individual to the state/territory and local area. One state/territory having lots of money does not share it with other state/territories.

I know most people here are aware that each state/territory is a separate organisation but it is important to understand just how separate they are and to not tar all state/territory organsations with the same brush.

That is so sad BDJ. I have seen rescues do similar though. If someone can't afford the veterinary bills they take the dog to the pound or even leave it at the vet, then a rescue saves the dog, has the vet work done, and then the dog is adopted by someone else. The original owner must feel so terrible. The price of poverty isn't only money, it is also a poor person's self-esteem. And what about the dog. Some of these dogs are also elderly. What's wrong with helping the poor?  Are we in some way encouraging people to stay poor? Is that the problem? :confused: And is that the no no?

2 hours ago, BDJ said:

The basic 'business model' of the RSPCA is so wrong.

I saw a story (facts were correct - all parties agreed on the facts) where a pensioner had a dog that needed surgery (severe ingrown eyelashes affecting its eye health and overall comfort level).  She could not afford the cost of the surgery upfront and unfortunately could not find a vet to do the surgery and pay it off over time (not vet bashing - understand why).

In desperation she contacted the RSPCA hoping they could help.  They refused her request and in desperation she surrendered the dog as she knew it was suffering and she could not alleviate it.  They took the dog, did the surgery and then put it in the pens for adoption.  She was not allowed to 'adopt' her own dog out of the pens, and they openly vetted each potential 'adopter' to make sure it wasnt a friend/relative of the old owner.   End result - a devastated old lady, a confused and scared dog who spent time in a noisy kennel environment unnecessarily (can only hope it settled in a new home) - and the RSPCA was out of pocket as the woman was happy to pay the whole amount of the surgery over time, which would have been more than the adoption fee.

And the bloody annoying RSPCA person could find nothing wrong with what they do - her response was that they are 'there to save animals - not to bail out people who cant look after their animals'.   Don't know how she didn't choke on the drivel the stupid *$**&&^ was saying.  All the time she was sitting on her high horse there was vision of a shattered woman and a scared, shaking SWF !!!!!     Unfortunately it was a few years ago before GFM and social media would have given the person some options

unfortunately the mindset of that horrible woman it seems is what they look for to employ, they leave me feeling they enjoy heaping as much humiliation on people as they possibly can with no care for the owner or their pets mental anguish, if anything the more pain they can inflict the better seems to be the aim.