What to do with dog when I go on vacation?!

Cuko13

58 minutes ago, karen15 said:

call me judgemental but I'm surprised you are looking at a minimum 9 week holiday when you were saying your dog is so sore in the HD thread but you don't want to leave him with someone to keep a constant eye on him and his discomfort levels. Perhaps you could shorten your trip and use the money saved to pay for someone to look after him while you are away.

The poster did say there were family issues so the time away may be unavoidable.  Best not to judge

Glad you found someone, that is great news. Now you just need to ensure your dog will get along ok with his dogs, and have a back up plan in case this one falls through before you go or while you are away.   I think all things considered, a shorter time away would be better, your dog is only young.  While this person sounds very nice, you don't actually know them really well, so while its not my place to say so, I would recommend only going for 3 -4 weeks, rather than 9 if that is at all possible.  Just think about it :)

To take care of someone's dog for nine weeks is a huge responsibility.  I would be looking at more than a basic payment to cover costs.  You should be prepared to pay a very generous weekly payment, particularly as your dog has a health and wellbeing issue. Namely HD.   Have you seen how and where his dogs are kept at his premises?

If this man has other dogs and is working full time he won't have the time to prepare your dogs raw meal each night.   How much input do you expect from him in reference to your dog's HD.  Will you leave it up to him to decide whether your dog needs vet attention?  I imagine he would not be too happy to be hit with a huge vet bill for your dog.  What if your dog was involved in a fight with his dogs and was injured? 

Don't think of leaving your dog alone outside your home for nine weeks.  You can be sure someone will be concerned enough to contact the RSPCA and the dog will be declared to have been abandoned.   This would be neither good nor fair to the dog.  I'm surprised you would consider leaving him at home with no one to supervise and keep him safe.

As has been mentioned.  It would be best to rehome the dog if you can find someone who'll take him.  Nine weeks is a very long time in the life of a 12 month old dog.   His HD is going to cost a considerable sum of money to keep him comfortable.  Has surgery been discussed with the vet?  

An alternative solution would be to take a much shorter holiday, say 4 weeks, and board the dog in a reputable boarding kennel.  The folk on this forum will give you a recommendation for boarding kennels.