Teaching speak to a quiet dog

Miakat

My dog does not bark much, she only barks if she thinks that a stranger is doing something they shouldn't be. I have tried several times to teach her speak on cue. I've tried YouTube videos "guaranteed to make your dog bark", frustrating her and getting her excited just to name a few. None have resulted in the slightest sound from her. If you know how to get my quiet dog to bark on cue, please reply. Thanks in advance!

You can't possibly do as badly as I did. I thought I had taught my last-pug-but-one to speak on command, but once I had had my first cochlear implant and had some hearing returned, I found that I had actually taught him to open and shut his mouth like a goldfish.:doh:

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, RuralPug said:

You can't possibly do as badly as I did. I thought I had taught my last-pug-but-one to speak on command, but once I had had my first cochlear implant and had some hearing returned, I found that I had actually taught him to open and shut his mouth like a goldfish.:doh:

That is hilarious. :rofl:  I also have a hearing loss and I know I can't hear my dogs growl. I just watch their body language. But what a clever little pug. I have a pug cross and I can imagine her doing something like that. She is super cute and different and she does open her mouth a lot. .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sarsplodicus said:

I have always found that knocking on a door or a wall makes my dogs bark. 

I've tried this, but my dog doesn't bark if someone knocks on a wall or door. Thanks for your help anyway:)

• 8 months later...
On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:56 PM, Miakat said:

My dog does not bark much, she only barks if she thinks that a stranger is doing something they shouldn't be. I have tried several times to teach her speak on cue. I've tried YouTube videos "guaranteed to make your dog bark", frustrating her and getting her excited just to name a few. None have resulted in the slightest sound from her. If you know how to get my quiet dog to bark on cue, please reply. Thanks in advance!

How are you doing this?

With a toy, food, dancing on your toes? Have you got your dog's FULL attention when you try this? are they only half engaged (ie not fully in drive?) - you may need to learn how to get them to engage and get in drive first, to amp up the frustration/excitement.

• Like 2