A grey finds a home... and some elderly folk a much wanted dog!

westiemum

Happy tears here. :) Just had to have a little brag... 

The very dog savvy elderly parents of a very old friend of mine were not having much luck finding a new rescue dog.  And I love greys, particularly for elderly people - perfect temperament and size IMO.

So I suggested a GAP grey about nine days ago and whammo!  It all happened this afternoon!  After meeting with the GAP people, they bought home a big beautiful black and white boy under 'foster to adopt'.  He is already settling well and the man of the house is in love already!

Yay!  So so pleased for them (and I'm so happy another grey has found a home!) 

So thrilled for all of them - and just a little bit jealous!  I'll post a pic if I can work out how to copy from FB.

And all it took was one comment on FB...  

:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Kirislin said:

YAAY, good job. I think a laid back greyhound could be perfect for an older couple.. You never know when that nice tall dog might lend his lovely back to a hand that needs steadying too.

Being the slave to many littlies over the years, I have always been thrilled on the occasions that I could walk along and actually pat or touch the dog I was walking.   :heart:

6 hours ago, Boronia said:

Good one WM!

your friends are going to live longer and happier with their Bart to keep them on their toes

Yep, I too, reckon that will be the case.   

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling
typo

Yes I remember walking a very big Wei I was looking after many years ago - and there was something really nice about being able to rest my hand on his back without bending down.  I got used to the 'Walking the horse"? questions which came thick and fast!

Seeing some of you have mentioned it - the size issue I think is a very interesting one. So many seem to think that small dogs are the best for everyone.  I'm not so sure.  I too believe bigger, placid temperament breeds are good for elderly folk - far less likely to fall over them I think and far less bending down.  And falls are the biggest risk for elderly people.   And I think greys fit the bill perfectly for many elderly folk. 

45 minutes ago, westiemum said:

Seeing some of you have mentioned it - the size issue I think is a very interesting one. So many seem to think that small dogs are the best for everyone.  I'm not so sure.  I too believe bigger, placid temperament breeds are good for elderly folk - far less likely to fall over them I think and far less bending down.  And falls are the biggest risk for elderly people.   And I think greys fit the bill perfectly for many elderly folk. 

One of my hobby horses, westiemum.  Even in my virtually ignorant about dogs days I just intinctively knew that recommending little dogs for elderly people was a recipe for disaster.  I am reasonably agile, but I couldn’t tell you the number of times I nearly fell over Danny because he stuck to me like glue.  Years ago, I also had another dog whose favourite position was just behind me at my feet.