A grey finds a home... and some elderly folk a much wanted dog!

westiemum

1 minute ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

One of my hobby horses, westiemum.  Even in my virtually ignorant about dogs days I just intinctively knew that recommending little dogs for elderly people was a recipe for disaster.  I am reasonably agile, but I couldn’t tell you the number of times I nearly fell over Danny because he stuck to me like glue.  Years ago, I also had another dog whose favourite position was just behind me at my feet.  

We call Scottie our "Tiny little trip hazard" and we're far from elderly!  

:thumbsup: Beautiful story and such a happy ending for that magnificent handsome Bart, what a name, that suits him perfectly.

Looks like he has lived there all his life, Greyhounds and for that matter, my ageing slightly bigger than most Italian Greyhounds, just lounge around all day barely noticing the world go by, but should someone knock on our door, she is up and about letting them know there is a "savage" :laugh: watch dog in the house, she is just amazing.

13 minutes ago, Mjosa said:

:thumbsup: Beautiful story and such a happy ending for that magnificent handsome Bart, what a name, that suits him perfectly.

Looks like he has lived there all his life, Greyhounds and for that matter, my ageing slightly bigger than most Italian Greyhounds, just lounge around all day barely noticing the world go by, but should someone knock on our door, she is up and about letting them know there is a "savage" :laugh: watch dog in the house, she is just amazing.

She sounds just gorgeous mjosa.  Yes I'm very hopeful this will go really well through foster to adoption.  And as long as Bart learns not to counter surf, :laugh: he's basically got it made!!  LOL!!  Funny story, these people have had small dogs most of their lives - so while its taking some adjustment to having a big counter-surfing dog around, they apparently are just loving him to bits - and he's only been there 24 hours.  And for all the reasons we've talked about. 

25 minutes ago, westiemum said:

they apparently are just loving him to bits - and he's only been there 24 hours.  And for all the reasons we've talked about. 

Yes doesn't take long for the needle noses to wrap their new humans around their paws :heart:

A dog park I go to has a lovely bunch of dogs and owners.. one lady who is 84 has a fawn Greyhound called Maggie, and she is a real darling.. the lady has no problem with walking her as she just ambles along and walks slowly for her owner... it's very sweet to watch.

• Like 1

I'm in two minds about this greyhounds for older people thought.  At 75 I am fairly fit and active, but have moments of difficulty.  Frodo is only a little fellow and at present I guess you'd say bordering on palliative care: okay because he's small and I'm lucky enough to have enough muscle tone for lifting him etc when necessary.  I am really worried about managing Rheneas when he gets to this stage in a year or so, he's also getting on for 16.  Rheneas is also smallish, Shetland Sheepdog/Spitz type but much heavier more solid than Frodo.  I will manage him, but I wouldn't put any bets on being able to manage an ailing Greyhound in a few years time.  Walking/running/training a fit dog is not an issue: it's the nity-gritty of an older person caring for an older large dog that to me does present some problems, I've seen it just not work out.

Disclaimer:  Says she who is considering taking on a Maremma as a livestock looker-afterer.  Jury is still out.

15 hours ago, PossumCorner said:

I'm in two minds about this greyhounds for older people thought.  At 75 I am fairly fit and active, but have moments of difficulty.  Frodo is only a little fellow and at present I guess you'd say bordering on palliative care: okay because he's small and I'm lucky enough to have enough muscle tone for lifting him etc when necessary.  I am really worried about managing Rheneas when he gets to this stage in a year or so, he's also getting on for 16.  Rheneas is also smallish, Shetland Sheepdog/Spitz type but much heavier more solid than Frodo.  I will manage him, but I wouldn't put any bets on being able to manage an ailing Greyhound in a few years time.  Walking/running/training a fit dog is not an issue: it's the nity-gritty of an older person caring for an older large dog that to me does present some problems, I've seen it just not work out.

Disclaimer:  Says she who is considering taking on a Maremma as a livestock looker-afterer.  Jury is still out.

and that's a very valid thought PC. I'm not yet 60 but have struggled with getting a semi downed greyhound into the car on my own. It's one of the first things I think of when buying another car, could I get a greyhound in it on my own if needed. Luckily the vets in my home town still do house calls and would come out if called. My elderly Mum used them a few times for her elderly pug.

Yes that's it Westiemum, and forwarned is forearmed, whether it's tripping over the little tackers or needing a block and tackle for the heavies.  I wouldn't let either aspect deter me from getting the dog I want, just being aware of possible future problems is half way to solving them.

It's the same with horses, I have big Standardbreds and teeny Small Shetlands, and they have different handling and management issues to work around.

Its surprising how few people know to even think of a greyhound.  when I a litter for sale I always took them to my daughter in laws for them to pick up and they got to meet her greyhound, Honey, almost without fail after meeting Honey, they would decide if they get a second dog or their next one it will be a greyhound, she made such a favorable impression on them.

not enough exposure to people on a general basis to greyhounds I suspect is the problem.

1 hour ago, asal said:

Its surprising how few people know to even think of a greyhound.  when I a litter for sale I always took them to my daughter in laws for them to pick up and they got to meet her greyhound, Honey, almost without fail after meeting Honey, they would decide if they get a second dog or their next one it will be a greyhound, she made such a favorable impression on them.

not enough exposure to people on a general basis to greyhounds I suspect is the problem.

Mike Baird’s on again off again banning of the Greyhound industry really raised their profile, I think, and so deservedly.  There are a few I’ve seen in my neighbourhood, although I don’t know where they come from because this area is a popular walk for those near and far.   I’ve also seen a couple being walked along Pennant Hills Road.  Whether more a being adopted or whether people are beginning to venture out more with their Greys because of the good publicity, I don’t know.  Would be an interesting bit of research.  

OK Bart fans - the gorgeous boy and his squeaky toys are very cute and he's doing very well!   He's settling in and has quickly become very attached particularly to the man of the house who adores him already.  The first night he tried to crawl into bed with them but there just wasn't room! LOL!!  So he has quickly learned to stay in his own bed overnight.

They went out for the first time today and left him with a kong (dream foster parents!).  He was apparently perfectly contented when they came back.

Go Bart!!  This has all the hallmarks of a final adoption in a month or so's time.  Fingers and paws crossed! :)

• Like 1