Henry's food-plate: Dog foibles

Boronia

Henry gets his meals in a shallow-rimmed plate which is placed about 1m from his foam dog-bed. I go to pick up the plate and it's not there, have a hunt around for it and it's under his bed. I heard noises and went to investigate and he was busy burying his plate under his bed, he managed to push it right under. This is the forth day he has done his 'hide the plate' trick.

maybe he thinks that Saffy is going to steal it,

He is a funny old soul

This is not much of a post but the little foibles of dogs are pretty funny so maybe you can share some of yours

The definition of foibles is good: a minor weakness or eccentricity in someone's character.

Awww Henry, you're cute!  You should leave it there and see if he brings it out at dinner time hahaha.

My dogs have a few habits but not sure if they're foibles or not.  The only thing I can think of is Poppy wanting to go bark at our neighbours dog.  Once a day their dog comes up to the joining fence and there's a barkathon for 10 seconds or until one of us calls their dog. She doesn't like going alone though so if she hears a bark from the dog saying Im here, she'll run to Maggie,  get in her face all excited then run a few paces toward the back yard.  If Maggie ignores her she'll come back and try again with a bark in her face instead like 'come on..let's go!.  Sometimes Maggie will then take off down the back wiith Poppy in hot pursuit.  If Maggie decides nup, not today Poppy whines and stays as well!    (Not a great example of my behavioural training lol).

when my westie was a pup he went through a stage of running around with his bed on his head LOL usually he'd also have a teddy in his mouth and be using the teddy to roll a tennis ball :D I have a video of him after he'd flipped the bed on his head, standing up and going for a drink. Bumped into a few things on the way.

he's grown out of that now.

now he's like a little dragon and puts all his precious things either under the couch, where the cocker can't fit, or under his hammock bed outside. I moved the hammock one day to find a mound of bones under there. I had wondered where they were disappearing to!

what started out as a game when he was a puppy, to get him ok with being rolled over and having his feet handled, has become a must occur event every morning. If I don't flip him onto to the doona quick enough, he walks around my feet and up the other side and assumes tickle position LOL

An uncle and aunt had a clown of a black Labrador many years ago, in the days of outside dogs.   They used to give him his meal in one of the old fashioned rectangular enamel pie dishes with a wide rim.   If the weather was bad, they would put his dinner up in a sheltered open shed, so that he could eat in the dry.   Mick would look at them in disgust, pick up his pie plate by the edge, carry it out into the weather to its "proper" place under the clothes line .. at which point he would settle down and eat it.

You're so right .. their foibles are so funny. :laugh:

I've just been reminded of another westie foible - he won't eat unless I eat. Breakfast he is a little better, but I generally have to eat next to him. Tonight for example, the dogs were fed at 7. I started making a small snack at 8.30 and only then did the westie eat his dinner. It took me a while to work out the correlation between me eating and him eating. He sometimes has a tiny pick when the dish is first put down, but leaves the majority until I eat.