Vomiting after drontal

Scottsmum

***I talk about inspecting vomit for worms** **Don't read if you think that's gross*** 

Did a quick google & search here. Didn't see anything particularly helpful.

Wormed Scottie with Drontal tabs today at approx 2pm. Gave him a dose for 10-15 kilos as hes weighing in at 11.5 at the moment.

Fed and gave usual meds at between approx 4pm and  5pm (usual meds first then dinner after this walk so at least 30 minutes later). Didn't poo on his evening walk. 

Some time in the last 40 minutes (between 7pm and 7.40pm) he's taken a huge vomit (inside - door was shut as it was raining - urgh). Don't think he's eaten anything out of the ordinary today. He's been otherwise normal. 

It was a pretty big vomit and quite...  well digested...  It certainly didn't look how I would have expected mince which had been eaten in the last 3 hours to look. I tired looking for worms but couldn't really tell what I was looking at - could have been gristle from his mince? 

Could it have been a worm mass?

I'm not too worried about him, but wondering if I should re-worm at some stage his week?  And if so - with Drontal or with something else? 

I've always found that drontal is best given around meals as it seems to be really hard on the tummy. Could it be that the drontal on an empty tummy made him feel a bit nauseated and then after dinner he actually had something to bring up?

I'd just stick to your regular worming schedule as the chances are he got most of the medication in his system given the timing. I'd also just assume the vomit was gross meat that the rummy had been working on for a while. 

But I'm no vet! 

51 minutes ago, mackiemad said:

I've always found that drontal is best given around meals as it seems to be really hard on the tummy. Could it be that the drontal on an empty tummy made him feel a bit nauseated and then after dinner he actually had something to bring up?

I'd just stick to your regular worming schedule as the chances are he got most of the medication in his system given the timing. I'd also just assume the vomit was gross meat that the rummy had been working on for a while. 

But I'm no vet! 

Thanks Mackie,

It could have been breakfast I suppose (which was a can/wety food ). I almost always use drontal & give when ever  - like when I walk back in from the shop with it so I was surprised when he chucked. 

Anyhow, he seems OK but I am worried he didn't get his usual drugs into his system. We could be in for a "wandery" night. Will just keep an eye on him.

Up and down all night - who really knows why. Could have been a lack of drugs, could have been an off tum. I gave in and left the back door open for him.

He's now up this morning and full of attitude! Has already given the new toy what for!

Just off for his walk now. I await the poo report.