Indonesian charity finds new homes overseas for unwanted dogs

Boronia

I read this the other day. What a lucky Westie to have a new home in the USA. There was a pug who was also dumped because of a skin condition, and he is going to live in Paris! Animals need all the help they can get over there. Seen some pretty cruel treatment of animals when I was over there :(

Similar situation in Thailand. When our family went to Thailand we got to visit an amazing animal shelter/charity. We went to this beautiful small island in the South called Koh Lanta. It doesn't get too many tourists and it's so lovely there, but because it's a developing country and the island is quite small, a lot of the pets/strays are not desexed and don't have proper health care. There is a charity started by a European lady who saw all the animals in need when she traveled there, and she started Lanta Animal Welfare. It is a cat & dog shelter and vet hospital too. If you are interested have a look on their website, the volunteers try so hard with what they have, and one day I might go and volunteer there too. Of course it could do with a lot of improvement, but it is run entirely by volunteers and funded only by tourists to the island. People can adopt dogs from them and have them flown by flight volunteers (get a free flight!) to the new home! I also had a look at the Bangkok run shelter called something like "Soi Dogs Foundation" which does a much similar thing. :) 

That might be something I do in a few years, for hard work you get free accomodation and lots of experience on an AMAZING island where it costs barely anything to live in paradise. Plus if you are a flight volunteer you get to help a pup to their new home and get a flight to Europe/USA or even home to Aus. Pretty cool. :) 

I'll check out your link now. :) 

3 hours ago, Scrappi&Monty said:

Similar situation in Thailand. When our family went to Thailand we got to visit an amazing animal shelter/charity. We went to this beautiful small island in the South called Koh Lanta. It doesn't get too many tourists and it's so lovely there, but because it's a developing country and the island is quite small, a lot of the pets/strays are not desexed and don't have proper health care. There is a charity started by a European lady who saw all the animals in need when she traveled there, and she started Lanta Animal Welfare. It is a cat & dog shelter and vet hospital too. If you are interested have a look on their website, the volunteers try so hard with what they have, and one day I might go and volunteer there too. Of course it could do with a lot of improvement, but it is run entirely by volunteers and funded only by tourists to the island. People can adopt dogs from them and have them flown by flight volunteers (get a free flight!) to the new home! I also had a look at the Bangkok run shelter called something like "Soi Dogs Foundation" which does a much similar thing. :) 

That might be something I do in a few years, for hard work you get free accomodation and lots of experience on an AMAZING island where it costs barely anything to live in paradise. Plus if you are a flight volunteer you get to help a pup to their new home and get a flight to Europe/USA or even home to Aus. Pretty cool. :) 

I'll check out your link now. :) 

No so to Aus, due to quarantine not recognising those countries as approved countries.

I mean I guess you could do it but you would have to go to an approved country and then go through the step by step process for importing to that country and then into Aus from the approved country. Which would be pretty prohibitive cost wise.

--Lhok

15 hours ago, Lhok said:

No so to Aus, due to quarantine not recognising those countries as approved countries.

I mean I guess you could do it but you would have to go to an approved country and then go through the step by step process for importing to that country and then into Aus from the approved country. Which would be pretty prohibitive cost wise.

--Lhok

I'm not sure how but there were some pets that had come here I'm pretty sure, obviously no easy task though! Or maybe they went to NZ I can't remember... 

All very nice in theory... however when you consider that most countries already have dogs in rescue waiting for homes... why would you bother bringing over from other countries.   Costs would be prohibitive.... to bring a dog to Australia you are looking at minimum $5,000. 

One thing to spend that money on a family pet... but for a rescue dog..... really !!!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alpha bet said:

All very nice in theory... however when you consider that most countries already have dogs in rescue waiting for homes... why would you bother bringing over from other countries.   Costs would be prohibitive.... to bring a dog to Australia you are looking at minimum $5,000. 

One thing to spend that money on a family pet... but for a rescue dog..... really !!!!!

I tend to agree with you, but there are some countries (Scandinavian mostly I think) where there is a shortage of unwanted dogs. It is good in that case.
I don't think there is any shortage in the USA, so unless they are purebreds being imported for rehoming by breed specific rescues, then I suspect it is only the popular and cute that are being imported which is not what rescue is all about.

Borzoi rescue international brings abandoned dogs of the breed into the U S A from Korea, Russia etc, often needing vet treatment they aren't receiving in their original circumstances.  Very dedicated people who get support from the breed community, lots of money spent on a few dogs but it is their breed, their prerogative. 

It would be crazy to bring them into Aust though, quarantine would add so much more expense and degree of difficulty. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RuralPug said:

I tend to agree with you, but there are some countries (Scandinavian mostly I think) where there is a shortage of unwanted dogs. It is good in that case.
I don't think there is any shortage in the USA, so unless they are purebreds being imported for rehoming by breed specific rescues, then I suspect it is only the popular and cute that are being imported which is not what rescue is all about.

Shortages/surplusses in the USA are regional and breed related.  The South is generally the surplus region, but the surplus is dominated by pit bull types and chihuahuas with mixtures of hound, Lab, and herding dogs.  The shortage areas, eg. the NE and NW, have limited demand for pitties and chi's.  There are also imports from Mexico.  I don't know about the breed mix typical in Mexico, but I'm willing to bet the pits get culled.  There is quite a bit of resistance to importing dogs from overseas (less so for across the border).  Why spend all that money when there are dogs nearby needing homes.

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 5:21 PM, alpha bet said:

....  minimum $5,000.

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 1:29 PM, Diva said:

Borzoi rescue international brings abandoned dogs of the breed into the U S A  ....

It would be crazy to bring them into Aust though, quarantine would add so much more expense and degree of difficulty. 

Although I get that the high cost is being underlined as against local/in-Australia rescue, surely how a person spends their money is their own business.  If someone is prepared to go to the expense, eye-rolls and calling them crazy is judgemental.  How and where someone chooses to rescue is their decision, their choice - and a dog needing help is just that, doesn't matter what country.

It doesn't make spending money on air-fares etc to undertake rescue work in a third-world country stupid "just because they could do it in their own country".

Edited by PossumCorner
Battling quote/insert/comment glitch

It is not unlike the old debate of donating to an international agency to assist education of underpriveleged children in a third world country when there are underpriveleged children in your own country in dire need of assistance who are overlooked. Does charity begin at home? In all likelihood there is a need for both, and in this country at least we know before we donate whether our charity dollars are focused on assisting local or international children.

I agree with @PossumCorner that what an individual spends their money on is their own business.

But when rescue organisations accept public donations that the public assume are helping local dogs in need, then import the cute and popular for rehoming while local dogs are euthanised for lack of interest seems to me less about rescue than about meeting a perceived market demand. Nothing wrong with that as a business, but it really shouldn't claim itself as "rescue" unless the organisation is completely transparent about it and doesn't mislead people into thinking they are helping their own population of unwanted dogs when they are only helping certain cute and popular unwanted dogs from somewhere else. 

To me, one of the most important things about companion animal rescue is taking an unwanted pet and rehabilitating it and/or remarketing it into a wanted pet.

On 1/28/2017 at 5:21 PM, alpha bet said:

I find that comment really offensive.  That “rescue dog” is about to become a much loved family pet.   

1 hour ago, PossumCorner said:

Although I get that the high cost is being underlined as against local/in-Australia rescue, surely how a person spends their money is their own business.  If someone is prepared to go to the expense, eye-rolls and calling them crazy is judgemental.  How and where someone chooses to rescue is their decision, their choice - and a dog needing help is just that, doesn't matter what country.

It doesn't make spending money on air-fares etc to undertake rescue work in a third-world country stupid "just because they could do it in their own country".

I was underlining high cost as the comparison between taking them to the US vs taking them to Aust. Much more cost effective to take them to US and the outcomes for the dogs are just as good or better. So yes I think as an organised network it would be crazy to bring here, especially given the difficulty of raising the funds just to take them to the more straightforward US option.

If an individual wants to bring a dog here, and has someone to look after them in an approved country for the required 6 months post rabies vac, and raises resources to transport and quarantine, then of course they do what ever they want.  

Really one should be able to express a view without pc labels like judgemental being thrown around, attempting to silence other views is pointless. 

7 hours ago, Diva said:

.... Really one should be able to express a view without pc labels like judgemental being thrown around, attempting to silence other views is pointless. 

Not silencing any views - although really not getting how my saying judgemental is pc, whereas your saying "crazy" isn't.  But whatever, it's the dogs that matter, not our finer feelings.

2 hours ago, PossumCorner said:

Not silencing any views - although really not getting how my saying judgemental is pc, whereas your saying "crazy" isn't.  But whatever, it's the dogs that matter, not our finer feelings.

As Possum Corner, unfortunately, you can't avoid being 'PC' :)

As someone with financial constraints, it's hard to understand those who count $5k as lightly as I count $50.  I wish I could afford to fly first class, hire a large suite at a five star hotel, and eat at any restaurant I choose...or donate $100k to some worthy cause.  Compared to such expenditures, $5k on rescuing a dog is no big deal.  I just hope the folks that make that purchase are also giving to some worthwhile charities.