Old age Pomeranian

swain

My lil Max is getting on a bit. He's nearly 11 but still likes to come for a walk. After about 10 mins of walking he's had enough and i usually pick him up. Which is no big deal but i was wondering if anyone knows of a comfy dog bag or something (please don't suggest a pram.........i couldn't :laugh:....no offence if you do though) to carry him in?

I need to go a bit longer than he can manage for my other dog or if we are out and about exploring or going to markets.

2 minutes ago, Boronia said:

what about a small garden trolley (that way you won't feel like a numpty pushing a dog in a stroller)

perhaps one like this but with pneumatic tyres

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Folding-Garden-Trolley-Trailer-Rust-Free-Cart-Hand-Utility-Lawn-Tard-Farm-Wagon-/122096539462?hash=item1c6d855746:g:3qEAAOSwIgNXt7iW

here are some more on ebay; kids trolleys http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/kids-wagon

2 minutes ago, Boronia said:

what about a small garden trolley (that way you won't feel like a numpty pushing a dog in a stroller)

perhaps one like this but with pneumatic tyres

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Folding-Garden-Trolley-Trailer-Rust-Free-Cart-Hand-Utility-Lawn-Tard-Farm-Wagon-/122096539462?hash=item1c6d855746:g:3qEAAOSwIgNXt7iW

Put a couple of plants in it and you can just say you are visiting a gardening friend :rofl:.  But honestly, if someone saw you pushing your little dog along in a trolley they would think you were wonderful. 

• Like 1

On a similar note, you could use a wagon with a mat in it? You could possibly find one on gumtree.

I think a carrier would get hot and uncomfortable, and dogs would probably prefer to be closer to where they can better sniff and interact with their environment.

In terms of carriers, I have a Sleepypod but it's not particularly well suited to carrying a dog. It better serves as a crash tested car carrier + bed. It's awkward, heavy and tilts on its side unless you also carry it by hand. It's fine for short trips (to and from the car etc) but I wouldn't get it for walkies. The Sleepypod Air is probably more suited as a carrier but both carriers come at a price more suited for their job as crash tested car carriers.

Man......l swore i'd never be a crazy that bought their dog a pusher. Not actually thinking that one day he may need one :( The trailer thing i can come at a bit more doesn't seem so numpty as Boronia mentioned. I was wondering about the dog getting hot in a carrier. So that's a good point. Little wagon i think maybe the way to go. Thanks for links guys. Love the instagram pic too Papillon Kisses. A few plants to decorate could be cool. I should have kept one of my bike trailers that i used when my daughter was the little....though that is verging on a pusher. I'm going to suss some out. Thanks everyone :clap:

1 hour ago, swain said:

No - go with the Canopy.  Just make sure you have a couple of Punkah Wallahs walking alongside with their fans.   :worship:

• Like 2

I wouldn't use the trolley three main reasons. 

1. I am suffering if that's not putting it too strongly from a torn shoulder muscle etc, can mostly put it down to using a trolley to shift hay for horses/alpacas.  The over-use of the shoulder joint is un-natural and asking for trouble, hindsight is magical.

2.  Dogs in my experience (okay, only three dogs here) can feel a bit insecure in a trolley and can decide to leap out unexpectedly: no harm in-property with a healthy dog, but not so good on hard pavement or near traffic with a dog already a bit fragile.

3. You can't walk far twisted all pretzel-like watching the dog you are pulling along, and it's when you are not watching it that stuff happens.

Nothing wrong with having what it takes to step out of the comfort zone and use a stroller.  But neither would I use one of the twee "pet strollers" they do look like a gimmick.  Google sports strollers and consider something with decent size wheels and a bit of intelligent design, the kind sports-minded parents use if they are doing running fitness training and can't leave the baby home.

16 hours ago, PossumCorner said:

I wouldn't use the trolley three main reasons. 

1. I am suffering if that's not putting it too strongly from a torn shoulder muscle etc, can mostly put it down to using a trolley to shift hay for horses/alpacas.  The over-use of the shoulder joint is un-natural and asking for trouble, hindsight is magical.

2.  Dogs in my experience (okay, only three dogs here) can feel a bit insecure in a trolley and can decide to leap out unexpectedly: no harm in-property with a healthy dog, but not so good on hard pavement or near traffic with a dog already a bit fragile.

3. You can't walk far twisted all pretzel-like watching the dog you are pulling along, and it's when you are not watching it that stuff happens.

Nothing wrong with having what it takes to step out of the comfort zone and use a stroller.  But neither would I use one of the twee "pet strollers" they do look like a gimmick.  Google sports strollers and consider something with decent size wheels and a bit of intelligent design, the kind sports-minded parents use if they are doing running fitness training and can't leave the baby home.

Good point about the shoulder....hadn't thought of that. Mum told me about a man that walks around her area with his old dog in a proper kid pram. Most people think it's great that he takes his old dog for a walk....as was mentioned by Dame Danny's Darling, people might just think it's cool my poor old dog is getting out and about.

What do i care what people think anyway.........................:o

• Like 1

Look some people will be rude regardless of what you do. We had neighbours that gave us grief for simply carrying our very elderly Pap with congestive heart failure up our hideously hilly street so he could have a sniff and potter around on the flat. Imagine what they would have said if we had a pram or wagon!

I for one love seeing our senior and elderly dogs out and about whether carried or wheeled or doing their slow little shuffle and sniff. Your dog's quality of life is more important than the opinions of fools, but you know that. :grimace:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swain said:

Good point about the shoulder....hadn't thought of that. Mum told me about a man that walks around her area with his old dog in a proper kid pram. Most people think it's great that he takes his old dog for a walk....as was mentioned by Dame Danny's Darling, people might just think it's cool my poor old dog is getting out and about.

What do i care what people think anyway.........................:o

I love seeing old/infirm dogs in a pram/pusher :) Whichever vehicle - it can be modified ..if it were mine .. there would be swanky patterned blanket/cushions... little water bottle/bowl ..one of these ..10-5CM-13-4CM-font-b-Dog-b-font-On-font-

• Like 1