French Bulldog pups

Florise

I was just perusing the French bulldog DOL pages and although I thought this was a hard to come by breed, there is currently 72 puppy notices! Isn't this rather a lot? Has there been a boom in breeding due to the high prices they command? Are they still selling madly, and are breeders still getting the 4-5k prices they are asking?

Lots of people out there with money to burn but no time to research responsible breeders I think.

I noticed 'exotic' blue Frenchie puppies on Gumtree this morning for $15,000!! The advertisement had nothing noted about health testing, said Molecular full DNA profiles provided and limited or mains registered.  It said price non negotiable so don't even ask.   How did this even happen?

Edited by Roova

I thought the same , I saw one at $9000 on gumtree , but as they are a dime a dozen now I too wondered if they would have to drop the prices soon . Cheapest I have seen is $3500 . BB are the same , massive price tag . 

This is so upsetting the amount of puppies on the for sale thread.

What gets me is they are advertising as blatantly as they can their "blues, chocolates" and all other colours as if it was a badge of honour and that these are rare colours, be damned they are not, when I first went into Frenchies years and years ago on the breed standard then these  colours were a disqualification.

Well when I received my January journal the ANKC pages that give changes to certain things in the dog world, there is a section in regard to French Bulldogs, that the colours mentioned above and being priced out of sensibility, are now only allowed to be registered on the Limited register, this is for dogs that are not allowed to be shown, bred from or exported, to me this has not gone far enough as these people will register them as another colour to get them on mains, it should be an out and out disqualification.:swear:

30 minutes ago, Mjosa said:

This is so upsetting the amount of puppies on the for sale thread.

What gets me is they are advertising as blatantly as they can their "blues, chocolates" and all other colours as if it was a badge of honour and that these are rare colours, be damned they are not, when I first went into Frenchies years and years ago on the breed standard then these  colours were a disqualification.

Well when I received my January journal the ANKC pages that give changes to certain things in the dog world, there is a section in regard to French Bulldogs, that the colours mentioned above and being priced out of sensibility, are now only allowed to be registered on the Limited register, this is for dogs that are not allowed to be shown, bred from or exported, to me this has not gone far enough as these people will register them as another colour to get them on mains, it should be an out and out disqualification.:swear:

I think even if they were a disqualification they would still use a registrable colour on the papers to enable them to continue to breed unfortunately :(

28 minutes ago, piper said:

I think even if they were a disqualification they would still use a registrable colour on the papers to enable them to continue to breed unfortunately :(

But then you could quickly prove that they had falsified registration papers so the state body should transfer incorrect colours to the limited register at the very least. Better still to suspend or throw out the member.

Totally agree about the falsification of colour on the pedigree, thought about that too, but as RuralPug has said they would sooner or later, sooner rather than later, get caught and get thrown out of their State governing body.

Something has to be done about this, it has just snowballed out of control and I would say that there is a common factor as to why and it is definitely not for the betterment of the breed. 

Sadly the can of worms has been opened to allow these colours to be registered, will take years, if ever, to get things back as they should be, another beautiful breed being ruined.

It's crazy! They are definitely the trendy breed of dog that everyone seems to want, especially in/near the city! When I was in Sydney the other week I saw loads of them! They aren't very popular around where I live, I suppose though where I live is semi-rural. I think it's repulsive that breeders are breeding "rare" or "exotic" colours that used to be disqualifications and then going and charging upwards of $5,000. I suppose, yes, there would be some reasons why Frenchies might cost more for a breeder than a different breed (need artificial insemination & C-sections more often than some breeds, plus they can be unhealthy if not bred well etc) but I'm sure they haven't always been this expensive. 

People are obviously jumping on the bandwagon for the $$$, and breeders who have been breeding for a while would be rising the price because everyone else is. 

Another fear with breeds like Frenchies becoming so excessively popular is that puppy millers and BYB breed them carelessly which would make the genepool/breed  unhealthier. Same with dachshunds being so popular, and pugs. Dachies backs and little legs are so succeptable to issues that it frightens me to see them being bred for pet shops etc by BYB and puppy farmers. But when you have a look at the amount of dachshund litters (mini/std/wire/smooth/long) there are barely any, and Frenchies 

have 72 puppy notices at one time! And that's just on dogzonline, there are also tonnes on Gumtree and in pet shops. That's a crazy amount! Last time I checked, Labradors (most popular breed in the world?) had less pups available than Frenchies! It won't be good at all for the breed to have such a sudden spike in popularity I don't think! 

Im on a Brisbane Frenchie facebook page has grown to 2,210 members from a small group five years ago!  This one at least has some very sensible members but there are others where the sole purpose seem to be to sell puppies and promote colours.  Most people from one have been kicked off the other!  On the Brisbane page there are Frenchies with tongues hanging our, long bodies, long tails, ears at odd angles, the works.  Its a shame because people want a Frenchie and they don't want to wait years for a decent breeder to have another litter.   The worst thing is people buy a pup knowing they'll have to come up with more money to have to have nostrils widened and soft palette done!  

There is currently an ad on Scumtree from someone (claiming to be a DogsSA breeder so that they could get around Scumtree's rule of no more than $500 a pup from non-registered breeders, but I bet they are not) wanting pure bred prices for "Designer French Bulldog" pups which they PROUDLY claim had 10% Pug in the mix (to improve brachy problems with hybrid vigour?????? OMG). I reported the ad the Scumtree,  but sadly it is still there... :(

Edited by RuralPug
Fat finger typos. Sigh

There are breed clubs for Frenchies, the original one which is in NSW, also Victoria and Queensland have clubs, Western Australia have a club called French Bulldog appreciation group, at least I think that is how they call it.

These clubs can only do so much, remember not all French Bulldog breeders are members of any of these clubs.

We do not have anything here in SA nor does Tasmania, not enough of us to form a club, nor does anyone have the inclination. 

a member of my family has bought a frenchie and to my amazement she told me its normal procedure for the breed to have him booked into the vets to have his nose and soft palette done!   Even more interesting he is main registered as brindle?  blind freddy can see that he is blue

to me why buy, let alone breed an animal that can die without surgery?

although I am a bit curious about the frenzy over colour, when I was a kid no border collie was considered purebred unless it was black or black and white, now there are Gold, cream, blue, chocolate and lilac?  obviously the genes had been there all along except they are now recognised and not only registered but shown and win?

There was an article i read recently by a brithish vet who said he had a family bring in their 5 month old frenchie and it was going to need 5 ops for things just to make it able to live a normal life ( eyeballs too big , palet, nose, and legs and something else), and he was seeing this weekly and its was heartbreaking.

My kids want one, probably because they are all over social media, my son would love a BB, but there is no way i would take on such unhealthy breeds.

16 hours ago, asal said:

a member of my family has bought a frenchie and to my amazement she told me its normal procedure for the breed to have him booked into the vets to have his nose and soft palette done!   Even more interesting he is main registered as brindle?  blind freddy can see that he is blue

to me why buy, let alone breed an animal that can die without surgery?

although I am a bit curious about the frenzy over colour, when I was a kid no border collie was considered purebred unless it was black or black and white, now there are Gold, cream, blue, chocolate and lilac?  obviously the genes had been there all along except they are now recognised and not only registered but shown and win?

That should certainly be reported to the body with whom the dog is registered. Shonky breeders incorrectly register "fad coloured" frenchies as accepted colours otherwise they can't go on main register.

Decently bred frenchies rarely need any corrective surgery. It is the fad colour greeders who are creating this problem. It is very very sad that the general public pay such inflated prices for unhealthy animals.:cry:

As Ruralpug has said, these type of "breeders" should be reported to the controlling body in the state the puppy was bred in, for falsely registering the colour on the Mains register pedigree, they can put them on the Limited register with the correct colour, blue in this case, until new owners of suspicious colours in the breed do this we will never be able to get this under control.

As for the health issues mentioned, if a breeding is thoroughly researched before the mating takes place, these health issues do not raise their ugly heads, I have had the breed for many years and I have to say that the dogs that I have owned and bred have only had to go for their annual check ups, in my case for AI's and c sections as well, and lived healthy lives to a great age, most around 13 years of age.

On just a few  occasions has there been the need to shorten the palate.

It's so hard for the general public, like me, to find good breeders. I buy a dog once every 15 years, so I'm not really in touch with people between purchases. This time around I wanted something smaller. I looked at lots of breeds and whittled it down to a choice between a couple, Frenchies being one. They got ruled out because I was worried about how they'd handle the heat. But if I'd decided to buy one, I would have looked up local registered breeders. Being registered is one of the things promoted to help you get a healthy dog. There's supposed to be standards. Going by Asals post, it seems the registration body is letting people down. If registered breeders can happily breed dogs that have those sorts of health problems as common place, then that's a concern.

I knew from the moment I got my pup, a westie, home that he was exactly what I wanted. His poor breeder has been inundated with updates :D

I was in the same boat wanting a small, easy going short haired dog without full on terrier traits.  Luckily this was six years ago so it was easier to find a great breeder who health tests, shows and is a great ambassador for the breed.  She was so kind when I launched my thousand questions at her but she answered just the way I hoped and I couldn't be happier.

I notice they are now  the most popular pet dog in Britain as well!  There's definitely a need for a small dog which can easily get out and about with their owner and not require a big yard.  At the time I was breed searching (and I guess still now) it seemed there was a hole in the 'market' for dog breeds that were small but solid, short haired, sweet natured and not bred for any particular sport so there was no ingrained drive to contend with.  If this criteria is what is making them so popular as a pet now and there's still nothing else similar, I can't see where this will end?  Price wise I expect once the market becomes flooded it will drop but by then Im not even sure the breed will look like it's meant to any more! 

They're a great little dog though so I can definitely understand their popularity.