Problems with Puppy Dry Dogfood

Stitch

My normal routine is to feed dry food in the mornings and BARF of an evening for all my dogs however I now have a 12 week old pup that has a problem with dry food.

It goes through her very quickly and is usually a bit soft sometimes with mucas which tells me it is irritating her gut.

Over a gradual period of time she has had Canadae, MfM & Wellness.   It is the Wellness that gives the best results but it still goes through her very quickly, etc.

I have considered just feeding her BARF but again she is the first puppy I have had that isn't really keen on BARF either.

She is definitely a picky eater and getting enough into her is a challenge but she will always eat dry food unfortunately it seems like dryfood doesn't like her!

Anyone got any bright ideas on what to feed?

Sorry I missed this earlier, One question to consider would be were any or all of the brands of kibble you tried grain-free? I think those brands all have grain-free puppy versions. well at less two do anyway MfM as MfP and Wellness as Wellness Core. Try a completely grain free version, maybe she is actually gluten or corn intolerant?

If you have tried grain free then I would be looking at whatever ingredient was common to all the brands you tried and assume she is intolerant to that ingredient, which could easily be a type of protein - and then try to find a kibble that doesn't share that ingredient. Ignore the tiny trace elements and stuff because if she is intolerant to it it will be at least 10% of the product (I am basing this on it moving through her system so fast).

If you run out of alternatives there is always prey model raw feeding to fall back on...

Thanks for your reply RP.   All the initial dry dog foods were grainfree.  

After reading all the ingredients I came to the conclusion that maybe less was better than more when it comes to ingredients and so I bought some Natures Gift at the supermarket.

I was also thinking that I couldn't have worse results than what I had had with the 'better quality' dry dogfoods.

Yep, you have probably guessed, Natures Gift has much better tolerated.....at this stage I am mixing it with 50% Wellness.  Natures Gift is NOT grainfree but hey, it is producing better result that the others.

I really prefer to feed BARF so I will be working towards weaning her off the dry and onto BARF morning and night but at the moment I am just happy that she is eating.

• Like 1

I'm glad you've found something that works for her!

Natures Gift is actually a reasonable quality kibble and the picky puppy I have here scoffed it down in preference to raw (which I KNOW her breeder fed her although she warned me she was a picky eater I just didn't believe her because picky eaters just don't happen in pugs until they become senior citizens).

She now eats almost anything I put down for her but it was driving me crazy when I first got her to have a broken pug like that!

Yes, I am hoping that once I establish an eating pattern then I can manipulate the food intake.

Often the stress associated with going to a new home just upsets everything.

Mine was an angel yesterday and today she is a little devil.

• Like 1