Raw feeding storage

Hello, 

just wondering on how everyone stores their raw food and how they do meal prep. I saw a pic on Instagram of someone who had meal prep super down pat and had everything all laid out and it reminded me I need to really sort out my dogs' food haha.

We sort of fell out of routine over Xmas and need to get organised again! 

We have a garage fridge/freezer and use the freezer to keep their raw food. We have tried freezer bags (currently using those) but they often leak when defrosting. Zip lock bags which work pretty well and we freeze them flat so it fits much more, but they also leak a little and are pretty pricey for one use. Chinese takeaway disposable plastic rectangle containers, I'm sure you know what I mean. They are ok but they become brittle and crack a lot from being in the freezer and don't last many uses. I'd love to know what people find the best way of storing is, we usually feed chopped up meat & liver in one meal and usually chicken drumsticks in another, but we need to get back into raw feeding properly again. 

Zip lock bags . I rinse and reuse them . I split 5kg bags of roo up onto 2 days worth and freeze . Keep Vans in cupboard in plastic container and veggies enough for 2 to 4 days in plastic container in fridge . 

Edited by juice

I use ziploc bags - which I admit to not washing - bad,  I know but it ikks me out. 

I also use chinese take away conteiners (I bought a heap from Woolies) and they work well too.  I do wash them out & just replace as needed - but thats not often. 

Yeah so we all do sort of the same thing. I bought a big lot of the Chinese takeaway containers too, but they seem to get lost and broken. When I bring them in to be washed I just rinse & chuck in the dishwasher but then whoever unpacks the dishwasher puts the containers with our "human" containers and then they get taken to work or used for things and broken and lost haha. 

I'm considering investing in some freezer containers specifically for freezing they might last better. 

If I had toy breeds or cats I would use baby food freezer storage things, I saw some the other day at Kmart & they would be perfect for little pets. 

Have you tried the Glad containers with the blue lids? They're sort of.. semi disposable. They last a lot longer than the takeaway containers (12 months+, the way we use them) but do cost a little more.

Can't find them on either the Coles or Woolworths websites and the entire Glad website apparently doesn't work but they're clear with blue lids and come in packs of five.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vehs said:

Just those freezer bags - yes they leak when defrosting but I just defrost them in a bowl to catch the liquid

I don't find freezer bags leak any more than just condensation coming off them as they defrost, which happens with container too. I do find that the "meat juice" (watery blood - I suppose) pools in the bottom of the bags, but again, no worse than a container. Either way, to combatthe meat juice I add a tiny bit of chia seed to soak up the liquid - seems to go down well with Scottie and adds some extra fibre to his diet. 

I splurged and bought actual containers- those clip top ones. 
Within those i store the meats, and i write on all the lids in a sharpie with its contents. 

Bones i store in freezer bags. Organs are a mix between ziploc and containers 

I dont meal prep perfect ratios into individual containers like some do, i dont have time for that! Or the storage space.  
I just take out some meat, some bones and some organs each week and balance over the week. 

1 hour ago, Scottsmum said:

I don't find freezer bags leak any more than just condensation coming off them as they defrost, which happens with container too. I do find that the "meat juice" (watery blood - I suppose) pools in the bottom of the bags, but again, no worse than a container. Either way, to combatthe meat juice I add a tiny bit of chia seed to soak up the liquid - seems to go down well with Scottie and adds some extra fibre to his diet. 

That's a good idea! I find chicken breast leaks, beef and lamb or chicken bones not so much