Vale Karta

grizabella

Someone who has been dear to my heart for the past ten years died last night. It was a sad end to a story filled with hope and loss, but also love. Karta will be so missed, and by none more than her mate and best friend, Kluet, who absolutely adored her.

2440041907_cd446e38c9_z.jpgKarta and Kluet by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

2409255393_159280a03a_z.jpg?zz=1Karta by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

3581004052_9d27960c1d_z.jpgBack to her old tricks! by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

4570172291_9ce1dec298_z.jpgKarta by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

3982792869_6d948ef9d2_z.jpgKarta by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

14292892860_171463fe16_z.jpgKarta by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

14499656133_64c28b098a_z.jpgKarta by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

14476107101_ac31fb5d31_z.jpgKarta by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

11770113466_92873c69b4_z.jpgKarta by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

5967280506_ebfb2c91f7_z.jpgKarta and Kluet by Amy Atherton, on Flickr

She wasn't expected to produce a child, she'd been on contraceptives. Any decisions for her to have an infant were made only because her carers believed she deserved a chance for it to go right. It was after the two stillbirths that the decision was made to stop trying. It's so tragic, and I'm sure decisions would have been made differently in hindsight... but these things are never straight forward. My heart breaks for Kluet and the primate team. :( Kluet has never been successfully introduced to the other female, Puspa; but I hope he has an opportunity to form a strong bond with a female soon. He's a special boy, a real sweetheart.

20 minutes ago, grizabella said:

She wasn't expected to produce a child, she'd been on contraceptives. Any decisions for her to have an infant were made only because her carers believed she deserved a chance for it to go right. It was after the two stillbirths that the decision was made to stop trying. It's so tragic, and I'm sure decisions would have been made differently in hindsight... but these things are never straight forward. My heart breaks for Kluet and the primate team. :( Kluet has never been successfully introduced to the other female, Puspa; but I hope he has an opportunity to form a strong bond with a female soon. He's a special boy, a real sweetheart.

here's hoping Kluet  finds a mate  soon ... her death will have left such a big hole   :(

Your photos, as usual are a wonderful tribute :)

Such tragic news... my heart breaks for all of her carers...

Such a pretty girl, and your photos are a beautiful reminder of a lovely soul... maybe you could print a few and make a collage for the primate team's wall? I'm sure that would be highly appreciated.

T.