Bike doggy basket

ricrunner

I have been looking for a wire dog basket that can be covered for waterproofness and warmth and easily attached to my camping gear on the back of my touring bicycle, am not having much luck. I have looked at dog bike bags but their either too small or too big . The dog is a 3 legged shitzu X maltese. She has been on a bike before in a milk crate that was hard wired to the rear rack. But this time the basket has to go on top of tent and sleeping bay so hockey strapped on and I want something better and more comfortable for her. Any help would be appreciated.

Something like this perhaps?

Try searching online using the tags or "soft crate backpack" or "dog carrier backpack" and you are sure to find something that not only will strap neatly on top of the luggage on your bike but will also double as a backpack in which you can safely carry the dog when when hiking.

Or if you don't want the hiking park or the soft part try searching for "travel crate small dog" if you want a hard plastic version or a wire version. Wire versions can usually have covers purchased for them. 

I love that your dog accompanies you on your biking/camping trips! :)

Thank you Rural Pug, The brown carrier is similar to what I am after, but I will use those names to look for more options. In relation to Molly touring with me sometimes, she really enjoys it and it gets her away from her overbearing doggy friends here at home. As well as that I need the company, as it is very lonely travelling especially when your partner cannot ride. We only travel locally in the New England area no more than 300 klm from home, and I tend to go to rivers and creeks with her as  it is a lot of weight to carry extra water and food if I go further out. I do  longer trips, more than 5000 klm every couple of years and intend to do one this autum, but she wont be coming along as I think it is too long for her. When I am leaving and she is not packed, she gets upset and tries to climb up the bike. It's really sweet. Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

I don't know if it would work for where you go biking but I've seen those little trailer things that attach to the back of bikes -- they're usually designed for toddlers but I'm sure would be a good size for your girl.

I've attached a link with pictures of what I mean.  This one is pretty expensive at $1000 but it's the type of trailer I mean:

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/bike-trailers/croozer/vic/carlton/croozer-kid-for-two-plus-new/102615741

Thank you, I thought of a trailer and I would buy one if I was taking one of the other dogs instead as they are double her size, but its the extra weight of 25 kilos plus a 5 kilo dog, much more water at 1 kg per litre and a lot of extra food puts a lot of strain on it's engine namely me. With molly on board extra food and water I am already carrying 115kgs and the bikes safe load is 130 kgs so I am restricted to that weight limit. My wife has suggested I compromise with other items I have around the house like clothes baskets and plastic boxes and  as well as  she says I am pretty handy I could build one. So I might go down that way.

I have found an item and ordered it from an online pet store from Sydney thru ebay. It is a metal framed collaspsible material crate. I will show photos of it with Molly on board and give out price and location name of company after I receive it on Monday. THANKYOU everyone for help.

• Like 2

I'm on an international tibbie list, where there's lots of European owners.  I specially love seeing the range of baskets for dogs, designed to go on their bicycles.  They use their bicycles for out & about, like we use our cars.  And their tibbies ride along in their baskets.... often the basket fits 2 quite comfortably.  Here's just the most recent, from the Netherlands.  So many other variations, too.  Sometimes there's a wire cover that straps over the basket.

16462973_732112560297899_65255024633800842_o.jpg

Edited by mita
  • Like 1