Important!! New genetic disease in Rottweilers

Starkehre

Placed in General because of the importance, urgency and required exposure of this topic.

Within the last couple of years, overseas labs have identified the genetic markers in the Rottweiler for the disease Juvenile Laryngeal Paralysis and Polyneuropathy (JLPP).

Most of those of us whom are heavily involved in the Pedigreed Rottweiler community will already know about JLPP. However it would be likely that the majority of pet Rottweiler owners and those researching to find their new puppy still do not know about it. There are also still some breeders who are not aware of this disease because much of this information now available has only recently come to light.

Breeders must test all of their own breeding dogs and bitches and also require to view the JLPP test results from any outside stud dogs before using them. Only Clear to Clear, Carrier to Clear or Clear to Carrier should be bred.

My concerns are that more than ever it is crucial that persons looking to purchase a Rottweiler ensure that their breeder is doing genetic testing for JLPP and they are not breeding carrier to carrier. JLPP is not symptomatic in affected/at risk puppies until around 10-12 weeks of age, so issues rarely surface until puppies have already been placed in their forever homes.

JLPP's mode of inheritance is simple autosomal recessive and if we are testing, arming ourselves with knowledge and breeding sensibly with a plan for a wonderful healthy future for the Rottweiler, we will be able to prevent further spread of this devastating disease and hopefully in time eradicate it all together. Clear and Carrier puppies are healthy and will never exhibit any symptoms of JLPP. It is ONLY when Carrier is bred to Carrier that JLPP becomes apparent phenotypically. Such breedings will produce approx. 25% affected puppies.

Unfortunately many ANKC registered breeders of Rottweilers are not breeding in accordance with the National Breed Council of Australia NRC(a). Prior to compulsory testing being implemented many of us breeders are already being proactive and getting this done. We are requesting test kits from OFA (US) and/or Laboklin (Europe), conducting the swab or blood collections here and sending the samples back to the labs. We are being told that DNA testing for JLPP will be available here in Australia sometime this year, but we are not waiting.

BYBs and ANKC registered breeders NOT testing for JLPP, now more than ever must be steered clear of as they have the real potential of breeding affected puppies. This is an incredibly shocking disease to see developing in a young puppy. No breeder or puppy owner ever wants to go through this. Most puppies die by 5-7 months of age from this insidious disease.

**Rottweiler breeders who tell you that JLPP is not in Australia are sadly very mistaken.

**Rottweiler breeders who tell you that JLPP is not in their lines must be able to back up this statement with "VERIFIED" and documented test results. Insist on seeing the results and ensure they are verified results, not from swabs they collected themselves.

If anyone would like to find out more information on JLPP, please feel welcome to join the JLPP Australia fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/JLPPinRottweilers/?__mref=message_bubble

Please click on the link below to view a short, educational video made here in Australia by an ethical ANKC, NRC(a) breeder who sadly experienced this disease a couple of years ago through no fault of her own and has been working tirelessly with colleagues to find answers and educate others. 
Please note, have your tissues handy.

JLPP in Rottweilers 23 Jan 2017 Australia

Edited by Troy
Remove some text implying that only NRC breeders test for JLPP.
  • Like 8

yes, knowledge is power.  I wish every breeder of every breed was as willing to accept that there are genetic diseases that mustn't be swept under the carpet.. I know of some one who spoke up about a disease in a Sighthound breed and her name has been dragged through the mud because of it.

Good luck with eradicating this horrible disease.

• Like 3

Thanks for this info Starkehre.  Definitely knowledge is power.   And where something has a simple autosomal recessive mode of inheritance, and an available DNA test, it would seem unethical for breeders not to be using it.   And it does the dog world no credit that some are putting their heads in the sand, or worse still vilifying those who are upfront.

We are so lucky in this day and age to have the tools to limit the occurrence of avoidable conditions without the heartbreak of test matings. 

• Like 3

Thanks for posting this Meg!

Lot's of work going on in the rottweiler world at the moment to make people aware and to get everyone testing their dogs.  Please spread to work to anyone who you may talk to that is looking for a rottweiler puppy that they must ensure that the parents of pups that they're looking at have been, or are in the process of being, tested (there are some expected litters out there that were conceived before this all fully came to light, so parents are in the process of being tested at the moment).

The video above is heartbreaking to watch, but very important to see.  I can't imagine the heartbreak experienced by the breeder and puppy buyers in this, and any other, instances.  This breeder has been amazing in working with vets and scientists to work out what happened to her pups and it bring it to light.  I just can't fully express my respect for the lengths that she has gone to in terms of time, heartache and expense.

We have swabbed Nova in preparation for breeding her mid year, waiting on those swabs to get back to the OFA and for results to be received, and will be testing Luna when we do her other health tests in a few months time.

• Like 4

Thanks Starkehre, yes heartache to learn about this.  Our Piper was an RSPCA 'rescue', we lost her at 14 years to bone cancer two years ago.  She was obviously a back-yard bred and raised Rottie, carrying some faults of both conformation and temperament.  And such a fabulous dog to own, still grieve for her.

So on that experience, would not have hesitated to take on another young rescue Rottie when the time comes, maybe later this year.  Your post is a timely warning.

19 minutes ago, PossumCorner said:

Thanks Starkehre, yes heartache to learn about this.  Our Piper was an RSPCA 'rescue', we lost her at 14 years to bone cancer two years ago.  She was obviously a back-yard bred and raised Rottie, carrying some faults of both conformation and temperament.  And such a fabulous dog to own, still grieve for her.

So on that experience, would not have hesitated to take on another young rescue Rottie when the time comes, maybe later this year.  Your post is a timely warning.

So sorry you lost Piper. Such a lovely long life, but it doesn't make it any easier.

By all means when the time is right, adopt another Rotti rescue, but ensure it is closer to 9 months old, moves soundly, has normal sized eyes and breathes clearly and I should not expect you will have a JLPP affected dog. it is rare to not see some symptoms by 3-4 months of age and deteriorating quite fast.

My son lost his two beloved Rotties within three weeks, December/January, to cancer, Maya was nine and Jackson seven.

He has now decided he cannot live without a Rottie in his life and is going to see a breeder in  Vic. flying down from Sydney, I told him to take a look at this thread and ask this breeder about the testing he has done and to mention this dreadful affliction.

He has looked and taken notes from the OP so he is now forewarned and equipped with the questions he will ask, hoping all will be well for him and his future baby.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mjosa said:

My son lost his two beloved Rotties within three weeks, December/January, to cancer, Maya was nine and Jackson seven.

He has now decided he cannot live without a Rottie in his life and is going to see a breeder in  Vic. flying down from Sydney, I told him to take a look at this thread and ask this breeder about the testing he has done and to mention this dreadful affliction.

He has looked and taken notes from the OP so he is now forewarned and equipped with the questions he will ask, hoping all will be well for him and his future baby.

That is so sad Mjosa. I'm so sorry to hear that your son lost his two Rotties within such a short time frame :(

Thank you so much for passing on this information to him. There are a lot of good breeders here in Victoria. There are also just as many less than scrupulous ones. If your son wants any advice, please ask him to contact me :)

I wish him all the very best with his new puppy.

Thank you Starkehre, it could have not come at a more opportune time your post about what you had found out and wanted to alert people to the problem.

I know that breeds have problems, that is why I test all my breeding stock before using to make sure that I have sound stock to sell later on and if anything, such as this dreadful disease in your beloved breed, I too would want to know, fortunately we have the tools to check things out now, not the hit and miss it used to be when I first got into the pedigree world at the end of the 1960's.

Once again a big thank you for your post for us to be aware and my son now armed with the knowledge of this newest affliction, we will pray that all will go well for him on his venture into getting his new baby or two.

If he lets me know that he was not happy I will certainly tell him to contact you as I followed the growing up of your last litter, they were magic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mjosa said:

Thank you Starkehre, it could have not come at a more opportune time your post about what you had found out and wanted to alert people to the problem.

I know that breeds have problems, that is why I test all my breeding stock before using to make sure that I have sound stock to sell later on and if anything, such as this dreadful disease in your beloved breed, I too would want to know, fortunately we have the tools to check things out now, not the hit and miss it used to be when I first got into the pedigree world at the end of the 1960's.

Once again a big thank you for your post for us to be aware and my son now armed with the knowledge of this newest affliction, we will pray that all will go well for him on his venture into getting his new baby or two.

If he lets me know that he was not happy I will certainly tell him to contact you as I followed the growing up of your last litter, they were magic.

You and your son are very welcome. We are trying to get this information out as best as we can.

I hope it does all go very well with this breeder. If not, I won't be having a litter for another 12 months, but I can certainly direct him towards some reputable breeders :)

• 1 month later...

It's a very good article Meg but please remove the reference " Puppy buyers should be ensuring that their prospective breeder is an NRC(a) breeder ".  There are non NRCA members such as myself who are embracing the testing of breeding stock.  In fact I  have a litter on the ground now and both parents have been tested "clear".  As it stands the article is prejudicial to non NRCA members who are doing the right thing.  TIA

Buyers should be aware that currently  there is NO requirement for NRCA members to test for JLPP, so ask to see the JLPP cert no matter who you buy from.  My information is that there are NRCA members who are not testing.

Rose, I have no intentions of removing anything from my post.

Please feel most welcome to write your own post :)

If you did not want attention drawn to this post, you should not have bumped it, it had already died a natural death.

Edited by Starkehre
  • Like 3