Keeping water bowl spillage to a minimum

Quietpurpletiger

Hey guys, 

I know it sounds random but I'm wondering how to keeping water bowl spillage to a minimum? Our dogs are now old and spend most of the time inside (especially since the weather has been crazy hot) so their water bowl is now inside on the tiles.  I have been using a towel under the bowl but it goes gross really quickly. They make such a mess and on occasions myself and kids have not seen the water and almost slipped over.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated :)

If the issue is them plunging their muzzle into the bowl and splashing, then maybe a water dispenser like this one could keep the spillage to a minimum because it is shallow but automatically refills,

If the issue is just water dripping back out of their mouths immediately after they have had a drink (mastiffs and other drooly dogs are really really good at this LOL) there is not a lot that you can do - try putting the water bowl inside a kitty tray or other large shallow plastic container or placing it on a disposable absorbent surface like a large puppy pee pad or one of those oil spill mats that some mechanics use. Not much you can do about the three metre trail of drips away from the bowl though!

We had a similar problem so I tried a couple of different mats to contain spills. One was expensive and crap (and ugly) so I got a couple of these- https://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/gummi-feeding-mat-black-lrg-p-8650 It's a bit hard to see in the picture but the lip is a raised rubber bit and it can contain a surprising volume of water. When it gets full of water, chuck a sponge in to soak up the bulk and then just wring it out into the sink.

They wash up really nicely and we haven't had to replace either of them yet. 

There's the road bowl refresher

http://sprout.net.au/big-sale/road-refresher-dog-bowls.html

And I've heard of one that is made specially for dogs with long ears to keep the ears dry... but I don't know which that is.

i've considered putting a large plastic tray under my dog's food and water bowls.  Like the old cafeteria tray or a giant kitty litter tray...

Welcome tiger.

The little water bucket for Frodo and Rheneas is well under a table - so spills and slurps don't spread to where we walk, and no-one needs to step over a small dog who is concentrating on having a drink.  Fro likes the bucket style because with his arthritis he doesn't need to bend his head and neck down to drink. 

My suggestion is to purchase a couple off the Conni human Incontinence products - the maxi bed pads  (blue)  They hold an enormous volume of water ..and are long lasting . I have a couple here I used both under bowls, and for an incontinent older dog ..pads are around 6 yrs old!!

:) The pet pads are good ..but I feel these are better for large volumes . 

• Like 1

for me it's not so much keeping the water in the bowl, it's keeping it in his mouth!  This labrador seems to spill it out the sides of his mouth and doesn't finish swallowing while he's walking around the house.  We keep a towel spread out around the bowl and then shuffle little bath mats around with our feet when he's finished drinking LOL

On 1 February 2017 at 5:21 PM, Mrs Rusty Bucket said:

There's the road bowl refresher

http://sprout.net.au/big-sale/road-refresher-dog-bowls.html

And I've heard of one that is made specially for dogs with long ears to keep the ears dry... but I don't know which that is.

i've considered putting a large plastic tray under my dog's food and water bowls.  Like the old cafeteria tray or a giant kitty litter tray...

That is the link I was going to share as well. Significant reduction in spillage around the bowl with it.

Try rubber back mats from Bunnings where the top is of an absorbent matter similar to coir or a fluffy.  The mat will soak up the water and the rubber will stop the floor getting wet.  Hose it off every couple of days and it drys very quickly.

Or just a couple of towels, really, to catch the drops as the dogs walk away from the bowl.  This is what I do.  

You might like to try microfibre towels, change every couple of days, washing machine at the end of the week - clean and dry in minute.   

On 02/02/2017 at 7:30 PM, piper said:

That is the link I was going to share as well. Significant reduction in spillage around the bowl with it.

That is unless your a Brittany - my BCs have no issue with spillage around the bowl but the Brittany on the other hand even with one of those bowls manages to scatter huge amounts of water.