Purebreds!

denali

I was wondering if you have noticed it where you are at all, but i am seeing a huge swing towards purebred dogs again. 

In the past fortnight i have seen (and all were younger dogs): 
- Irish setters

- an english pointer 

- vizslas

- a weimaraner 

- someone with a Newfie and st bernard 

- an irish wolfhound (i was driving, and wish i wasnt- would have loved a pat)

- a malinois 

- a dalmatian 

- japanese spitz 

- greyhounds 

- scottish terriers

- welsh springer spaniel

- and a saluki! (Have never had the pleasure of meeting one of these, but ive always loved them,  he was magnificent) 

And of course plenty of dachshunds :laugh:

It makes me so happy to see so many different types of dogs! 

Edited by denali
  • Like 1

That is encouraging. I always see a few around here, Bassett, Samoyed, Keeshond, Viszla, GSP, GSD, Beagle, JRT. And the cross breeds are SWFs or working style rather than designer. But I will look out for more.

I've noticed the opposite to be honest. Down at the beach it's all mutts with a few exceptions of a pair of Bracco and a coated Weimaraner and a few labs and golden retrievers. 

Most of the dogs I see that are clearly not mixed breeds are to my eye, poor examples of their breeds.

its so rare for me to see a dog that takes my breath away with type and soundness and more often than not its a crossbreed I'm handling that stops me in my tracks for general soundness and temperament. Those moments when I think to myself 'they should make this a breed!'

I wish it were different. Maybe my expectations are higher than oh squee it's cute , or the fact that it's a xyz breed. 

I tend to pick them to pieces in my head instead. 

4 hours ago, juice said:

nope. oodles are still in abundance here i'm afraid.

For us, it's mostly ugly, deformed "American bulldog" things- rarely walked by owners but sometimes seen wandering loose. And by wandering, I mean stiffly shuffling along with their horrid elbows and knees. Bonus points for your bogan dog-spotting tally if the dog is also "half pit bull and half mastiff" and is pregnant with its fifth litter of pups. You've scored bogan bingo if the father of the pups is a "purebread amstaff with a really blocky head who weighs 60kgs".

As for purebreds.. can't say I've noticed any increase. The last purebred I saw was yesterday and it was a GSD. Said GSD was in a parked car outside Petstock with the windows wound down and judging from the furious, murderous barking every time another dog walked past, it was slightly dog reactive. Maybe parking right out the front of the store was not the best idea? I'd like to believe that anyone sensible enough to research breeds and go with a purebred would also be sensible enough not to park their rabid GSD right outside a pet shop but.. yeah, it seems not.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Maddy said:

For us, it's mostly ugly, deformed "American bulldog" things- rarely walked by owners but sometimes seen wandering loose. And by wandering, I mean stiffly shuffling along with their horrid elbows and knees. Bonus points for your bogan dog-spotting tally if the dog is also "half pit bull and half mastiff" and is pregnant with its fifth litter of pups. You've scored bogan bingo if the father of the pups is a "purebread amstaff with a really blocky head who weighs 60kgs".

As for purebreds.. can't say I've noticed any increase. The last purebred I saw was yesterday and it was a GSD. Said GSD was in a parked car outside Petstock with the windows wound down and judging from the furious, murderous barking every time another dog walked past, it was slightly dog reactive. Maybe parking right out the front of the store was not the best idea? I'd like to believe that anyone sensible enough to research breeds and go with a purebred would also be sensible enough not to park their rabid GSD right outside a pet shop but.. yeah, it seems not.

I have given up on assuming people are smart enough to know better! 

I see quite a few cocker spaniels when I'm driving of a morning. At park there's a lot of purebreds and fewer crosses. We go to baby park, so don't run around with the big breeds.

I got the strangest comment one morning when I was getting the dogs out of the car. A guy walking past looked at them and said "that's a lot of money there". I was a bit dumbfounded to be honest. Who makes that sort of comment? I bought the westie and the cocker was free. Comparative to other breeds they aren't expensive.

• Like 1

Yep and there is still a huge perception among the general pet buying masses that a purebred means 'a fancy show dog' and that's not what they want. They don't seem to realise that the majority of purebreed puppies are sold as pets and are not 'fancy show dogs' 

There is a massive gap in accessibility and information available to the general public between the majority of pedigree breeders and 'all the other easy ways someone can purchase a dog' and not in the favour of pedigree breeders........

11 hours ago, karen15 said:

I got the strangest comment one morning when I was getting the dogs out of the car. A guy walking past looked at them and said "that's a lot of money there". I was a bit dumbfounded to be honest. Who makes that sort of comment? I bought the westie and the cocker was free. Comparative to other breeds they aren't expensive.

I experience something similar.  I've had tibetan spaniels for some years.   All have been show dogs, retired from good registered breeders who believe once they've got their Aus Ch & had a litter of puppies, they deserve to be placed in a loving pet home.  Strangers often admire them.   And they remark they must've cost a fortune. Truth is,  we've often had to force the breeder to take any money.  Their 'payment' they'll sometimes say, is that the tibbie is in a good home, with great care.  

First breeder said, 'What you can afford.'  But we thought all the work she'd put in to her little Aus Ch, deserves recognition and  we paid her exactly the same as for our sheltie from a top breeder.  Other breeders were adamant... 'No money, it's the care for life that's important!'.  But they got money given to them, anyway!'.  And a decent amount of money, at that! 

I've noticed an increase in numbers of people adopting p/b tibbies & becoming tibbie tragics!  Best thing of all, is that many are open to taking a rescue tibbie or a tibbie cross.  All equally loved in the pet community.

Edited by mita
  • Like 2

saw a really nice portuguese water dog at our local oval the other day.  Much nicer and a very different shape to the poodle crosses that were also there.

Even my dog agreed.  It didn't jump on us or get in our face once, and it is still a puppy (about 8 months old ish).

the guy got it from Victoria.

I liked it better than the Lagotto R's I've met.  But I can't judge a whole breed by one dog with a fairly savvy owner (he knew he wanted a non shedder and also knew that the poodle crosses - you don't know what you're getting).

22 hours ago, juice said:

You see people still have the perception that purebred means more money and these days it doesn't . Unless you are talking frenchies or BB . The designer dogs fetch way more . 

I had a slightly scary incident when I was out with a friend - we had 4 borzois between us and a man walked straight up and said "how much are they worth" - my friend replied that they were all mongrel litter mates so he walked away.

• Like 2

I saw a Vizsla, a Samoyd (so gorgeous and friendly) and a beagle this morning at the dog park, as well as a few crosses.

Yesterday at our first agility class there was a border collie and a cocker spaniel, the cocker was so good!  I often see interesting purebreds around, like the Dogue we saw last week and a Lagotto at the beach.  Plus a toy poodle and a beautiful Standard puppy last week.

• Like 1

Nope, huge trend for Cavalier X Poodles at the moment where I live. I swear everyone is getting one and they're paying $2-3000 for them. Except for the occasional few purebreds I see around, this area is mostly Kelpies, Golden Retrievers and an insane amount of oodles. 

On 2/6/2017 at 6:15 AM, maddogdodge said:

Nope, huge trend for Cavalier X Poodles at the moment where I live. I swear everyone is getting one and they're paying $2-3000 for them. Except for the occasional few purebreds I see around, this area is mostly Kelpies, Golden Retrievers and an insane amount of oodles. 

That was definitely our previous trend. Now everyone is getting frenchies or dachshunds.. bonus points if they are weird colours!  

I have never seen a purebred in our area. Mostly all kinds of crosses, most of them lovely dogs. We live quite close to Blacktown Animal Holding Facility and a lot of them have been purchased there. At our training club there are some purebreds but they are generally in the higher classes where the owners are more committed to ongoing training, rather than getting the basics and moving on.

We have two Golden Retrievers that we walk a lot around the neighbourhood. They get a lot of attention, and we are often told how beautiful they are.
This can be a double edged sword because people are also aware that they are a valuable item and could be resold. We were especially concerned when they were puppies. We always padlock our gate when we go out and have a high fence which it would be difficult to get over. They are both adult dogs now but, being Golden Retrievers, they would happily go with anyone friendly so we continue to lock the gate, we'd rather be safe than sorry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DakotaJ said:

We have two Golden Retrievers that we walk a lot around the neighbourhood. They get a lot of attention, and we are often told how beautiful they are.
This can be a double edged sword because people are also aware that they are a valuable item and could be resold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good point about the attractions for dog-napping & resale.  Local police issued a warning not to leave small, attractive breeds (didn't specify p/b or mixed...just attractive) visible & accessible to passing people.  A gang was going around stealing small dogs like this for resale.

Microchipping can help,  as the original owner might be sourced later.  AWL Qld gave a good tip.  They said if your dog goes missing....lost or suspected stolen...you can ask for MISSING to be added to its chip data base.

They gave an example of a tibbie, CJMalone,  who got out the gate blown open by winds.  Owners tried everything to find him, but no luck.  Then 8 months later a tibbie was dropped in to AWL shelter by a person who said they were doing it for someone who didn't want the dog any more.

During the vet check, his microchip was scanned.... up came MISSING.  It was CJMalone.   So AWL knew his family was looking for him & phoned.  Family rushed to Shelter  &  CJ flew into their arms.  Seems someone found CJ when he went missing, & kept him until the novelty wore off.

Edited by mita
  • Like 1

In Victoria we have had a fair bit of promotion by Dogs Vic about pure bred dogs... Because of the State Gvt wanting to bring out more rules to restrict breeders (including us). So Dogs Vic hired a marketing dude to work out a promotional package to get our point across. Thankfully it seems to have worked and perhaps ANKC state clubs will continue from this experience.

I think the spin off has been that more of the public are becoming aware of the difference between pure ANKC dogs and BYB or commercial breeding.

However personally believe that owners and breeders of our ANKC pure bred dogs need to follow this up with helping the public understand more about what is involved with the pure dogs. Explaining to people the difference with the health testing and breeding to blood lines that will enhance the dogs so that we can avoid issues like poor bites, bad elbows or eye problems. We should help educate people who approaches to ask about your pure dog, even if the questions are pretty ignorant like "bet those dogs cost a pretty penny?" - We should see it as a chance to re-educate them about how the system works and in fact that the purchase price is only a small part in the cost of owning a dog.   cont...