Dog Food Poll

PANDI-GIRL

We feed Black Hawk (lamb and rice) for breakfast and for dinner they have raw. 

Either Big Dog raw patties, or home made raw of meat from supermarket and butchers. 

(At the moment it is beef heart, lamb offcuts, chicken hearts, chicken liver and chicken giblets) 

Every few nights they get a chicken drumstick, and occasionally they get veggies and fruit, yoghurt, eggs,  or left over meat from our food.

Supercoat puppy + something. Either some chicken liver/hearts, some offcuts, or left overs (rice usually).. or a fresh egg cracked on. Carrot peels etc usually get held during prep and thrown in to add some flavour and textures to the meal.  

Also gets some yoghurt and fruit in the kong with a bit more kibble most days, and a soup/brisket bone to chew a couple times a week (under supervision).

Mine will eat anything but so far have found they do best on black hawk. I like to change kibble and even mix different brands together. I also try to feed fresh meaty bones or chicken wings on shopping day, and eggs, yoghurt and suitable table scraps during the week for a bit of variety. Whoevers turn it is inside gets to clean up the floor after the toddler;)

• 2 weeks later...

I feed taste of the wild as a first preference, or the VIP grain free stuff when money is tight. Having an epileptic dog means I have to avoid anything with rosemary as a preservative (rosemary is a neurotoxin) and it's ridiculous how many companies insist on using it!

Kibble only makes up a very small component of their diet, though. Usually just as training treats or as an extra meal to anyone that gets too thin. They eat mostly raw. Lamb brisket, roo tails, chicken frames, roo or beef meat, offal etc

I'm lucky... my dogs do well on pretty much anything I feed them... as long as we get the amounts right for each dog's particular metabolism. I have a 13kg dog here that eats exactly the same amount of food as my 32kg horse puppy... and the smaller dog is lean!

We are currently enjoying raw chicken from the wholesaler I found only 5 mins from my house...$40 got me enough food to feed 3 large dogs and 2 pet foxes for 3 weeks! And the dogs and foxes are loving it and looking great... and the added bonus is much smaller poos... yay!

T.

One of the worlds fussiest dogs here. 

He enjoys the VIP grain free kibble - but likes the orange flavour more than the purple one. We also feed a human grade chicken mince & occasionally pork or beef mince or chunks of meat if it's on sale plus an occasional chicken bone. Not too much red though as it's too rich for him. I also use the VIP dog roll if it's on special. Will be swapping to a senior dry when the current bag runs out. 

(note- his diet is far from balanced or ideal. He's old, has bad teeth, is crazy fussy, likes to bury food, is happy to not eat for days, unless he's had a xanax - then he'll eat anything in sight and he's on some medication which needs to be given on an empty stomach so we can't give him anything he's likely to dig up and eat later - in short - it works for us and is not the best model to replicate.) 

I was looking at  Royal Canin & they have a Poodle Breed Food,

I will try that when my pup is 12 months old.

My sister & the vet are telling me to not feed her bones, because of  blockage in neck or bowel,

Scary! I don't really wont to, it ruins the hair on her face when ever i have tried

33 minutes ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

I was looking at  Royal Canin & they have a Poodle Breed Food,

I will try that when my pup is 12 months old.

My sister & the vet are telling me to not feed her bones, because of  blockage in neck or bowel,

Scary! I don't really wont to, it ruins the hair on her face when ever i have tried

:) the only  gut blockages I've seen are when dogs have eaten cooked bones , and that's only a few times in decades . I have had one dog in about 40 yrs of dog ownership  have diffficulty with bones in the neck - A pup swallowed a whole chicken neck without chewing , and I had to help pull it out  LOL  I switched to large chicken wings/frames after that -
Nice chewy bones are terrific for dogs - pups in particular . Chewing bones for some time, as opposed to crunching dry dog food  - is good for the face/jaw muscle development :) 
Bones like chicken frames are a meal - with calcium and other good things .

• Like 2

I have an 8 month old Rottie who is still on supercoat puppy but seems to prefer the “big dog” food to the supercoat puppy.  He will be having the supercoat until he is 12 months but does get some of what I feed our “big dogs”

For the past 10 years I have fed my big dogs the following mixture

In a garbage bin I empty:

1 bag of pasta (normal size bag you would buy for the family from the supermarket)

2 bags of pearl barley

2 bags of quick oats

1 bag of lentils

1 bag of linseed

Add cold water to cover the contents and soak for at least 4 hours

drain off any excess water

Add 20 kg of roo meat

Mix well, bag and freeze into 13 portions plus the one for that day (14) feeds them all (3) for 2 weeks

This mix is then taken out of the freezer each morning to thaw.

Add to the thawed mix

1 cup of boiled rice

4 juiced carrots with pulp or roasted pumpkin and any other vegetables on hand, like tomatos, broccoli  – whatever we have.

Then add 2 – 3 chicken necks for each dog

They get this at around 2 in the afternoon. First thing in the morning they get a dry biscuit.

Once a fortnight they get half a marrowbone each to chew on for around 5 hours for their teeth and they suck out the marrow then I pick them up and toss them.

Plus other treats…..

Hi PANDI-GIRL,

This is for 3 large dogs. Yes it is a lot of effort but it’s only done once every 2 weeks so worth doing. My vet helped with the dietary requirements of this formula.  I prefer to feed my dog’s natural foods rather than the processed foods you buy today although I do give them some.

I used to work for a company that imported rice from overseas into Australia for animal foods. The rice was pumped directly into a large shipping container and loaded onto ships. The quarantine process when it reached Australian wharfs was to send them directly for fumigating………..

I have been doing this ever since….