Wings or Necks??

Stitch

Neither. My Springer pups were swallowing chicken necks whole at 6 weeks! Wings I'm not keen on with the joint angle. They can get stuck in a gulpy pup. I prefer to leave those cuts for my cats and stick to chicken frames cut to appropriate size. Quarter for my 6 week old pups and then build up to whole as you see fit. I want them larger than the pup's head. Serve frozen if you have a guts. If you want to feed more meat switch to a quarter whole chicken and remove the skin and the joint. 

• Like 1

Wings, feet or drumsticks in our house. I find they work best for our dogs. For some reason, both chicken and turkey necks won't settle in Scrappi's stomach even if he chewed it reasonably thoroughly. They cause him to throw up yellow bile several hours after dinner. 

So we don't give them for that reason, but if your dog is fine with them and they chew them well then necks are ok. Preferably turkey as they are a lot bigger and less likely to be gulped. 

I need to feed Henry with a small meal before I give him a wing or 1/4 chicken frame as he tries to swallow them with minimal chewing and they get stuck and i have to hold him up with his head facing the floor and whack him on the shoulder-area until the offending chicken-bit comes out.

Henry and I just don't need this drama.

Moral of the story is to feed them a small meal first to take the edge off their hunger

• 3 weeks later...

I find wings are too fatty for my westies - so I only use them when Sarah is getting a bit thin (never been a problem with Andy! LOL!).  I also use big chicken necks which I buy from the deli section and ask the deli assistant to pick out the big ones for me.  I then make sure I put them in the sides of their mouths which forces them to chew them rather than hoover them.  And I've never had a problem.  Personally I wouldn't give necks to puppies but I'm certainly no puppy expert.

My favourites are chicken frames.  Dirt cheap at my local supermarket (which has the best raw  whole human grade dog food in addition to the Adelaide Dog mix I use).  I give my guys half a small frame a couple of times a week (and they get a beef soup bone once a week).   So mornings is a mixture of beef soup bones, necks, wings and frames. 

Incidently, I have a maltese/shitzu staying here for a couple of days while her Mum and Dad are away.  Her Mum commented how beautiful my guys teeth are.  Her teeth are terrible and the poo!!  The Poo!!  I've never seen soooo much badly formed really smelly poo from one little dog!  The amount is more than my two put together! And she's fed exclusively on some type of dry food which came with her in a plastic jar.  Needless to say she's been wolfing down the raw I've given her with her parents permission.  (Didn't have the heart or inclination to feed her 'that stuff' while mine get real meat!). And no she hasn't got diarrhoea.  Flame suit on. 

• Like 4

I feed chicken necks about once or twice a week, but I do not give them to my dogs whole, I chop them up with a pair of garden shears specifically used for just cutting through the bone into bite size pieces, this prevents them from choking on them, I have heard of quite a few cases of Frenchies choking to death if fed a whole one.

Mine are fed a raw diet of human consumption meat, cranberries, veg and the kibble they have is grain free Wellness.

I see no need for a flame suit Westiemum?! Although one of the tricks I got from TSD was to take the skin off wings. Still fatty but less so.

Incidentally, last week Malcolm consumed a chicken wing almost whole and was kinda sorta choking on it (he had to keep retching it out). So chicken wings are now off the menu for him.

I'm not sure what to feed instead. When I go to the butcher the bones they have aren't the slightest bit meaty?! It would also preferably be low fat/lean.

Considering whether I could find chopped kangaroo tails.

PK I feed beef neck bones. The cocker is a fatty so I've changed from the meaty ones at Woolies to the sparser ones from the butcher (which are also cheaper, which is a happy coincidence). They get them two or three times a week and chew on the bones for days.

The westie has a sensitive tum. Beef mince is too fatty for him so they get chicken and turkey mince (human grade from woolies). I think wings would be too fatty for him too, not that I've fed them.

I give whole necks to small puppies without qualm they are too big to be swallowed whole. Its the older dogs that I chop the necks up for. And for chewing I prefer chook carcasses, which i give two or three times a week. For smaller breeds I chop the carcasses in half with my trusty cleaver.

1 hour ago, RuralPug said:

I give whole necks to small puppies without qualm they are too big to be swallowed whole. Its the older dogs that I chop the necks up for. And for chewing I prefer chook carcasses, which i give two or three times a week. For smaller breeds I chop the carcasses in half with my trusty cleaver.

I bought a new cleaver and first time I used it I chopped the chicken frame and the chopping board in half :laugh:

• Like 5