Synthetic grass in apartment.

bballj

Hi all, 

Just wanted to gauge opinions on this matter, I have searched and searched this forum and others and struggling to find up to date answers etc.

I live in an apartment and recently put a Pet Loo in the pen she stays in at night (it's in the garage) and she has been using it perfectly, stupid me left it too long in between cleans (2 weeks) before i emptied it and washed it and the grass... I have since use White Vinegar and washed it with hot water to try and eliminate the foul odour it releases but it just isn't going away... Did I leave it too late to clean it and the grass has pretty much gone bad now? 

I have read many articles and opinions on these and people struggle with outdoor ones, so you can imagine how an indoor one would go with smells. 

In reality, has anyone found a full proof way to maintain these artificial grass toilets? 

I have tried pee pads but my pup just tears them up, why can't she just understand me and she use them for peeing haha. 

Thank you for any responses in advance.

1 hour ago, bballj said:

I have tried pee pads but my pup just tears them up,

Conni pads. Machine washable- we wash ours with Canesten and they come out smelling very clean- and very easy to manage.

As for the fake grass/pet loo.. I'd bin it. Personally, I can't see the appeal in having a drawer full of dog urine to deal with :vomit:

Edited by Maddy
  • Like 1

I used an artificial toilet in my girls puppy pen for the first few months. I found the best bet was go to bunnings and get your own turf and have multiples. You can pick up a square for around $20 which is enough for a couple of sections. I was swapping mine daily and hosing and disinfecting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maddy said:

Conni pads. Machine washable- we wash ours with Canesten and they come out smelling very clean- and very easy to manage.

As for the fake grass/pet loo.. I'd bin it. Personally, I can't see the appeal in having a drawer full of dog urine to deal with :vomit:

Hi Maddy, 

Wow, they look awesome, how often are you having to wash them?

We use two towels over the top and that way, we just switch out the towels every day and wash the Conni pad every second day. Towels and pad go straight in the wash and because we have a few sets, there's always a fresh set. 

It's really no more work than any other laundry and it's also a lot more portable, in case you have to travel with the dog or confine it to a crate for some reason.. 

• Like 1

Try using Biozet liquid (diluted in a spray bottle or watering can). I've found it pretty good at removing the urine smell. Otherwise try Pming @juice on here as her back garden is AT, she's had three large dogs and the grass is still going great after at least 5 years (I can't remember when she put it down exactly). Juice goes to great lengths to keep it in tip top shape :)

Edited by Stormy

Its actually been 9 years! can't believe it.

i use chlorine watered down and slosh it over , nothing else gets rid of the smell, i have tried disenfectant, vineger etc

And no idea what i pressed by mistake to get this quote box and cant get rid of it!

Edited by juice

I used one called The Spotty Potty for the first 3yrs for my dog, it had rubber "grass" and an absorbent pad underneath, cant rate it high enough as once it was washed (just mostly a simple hose and sometimes a spray with some natural cleaner) had no smell whatsoever.  My sister had a pet loo with synthetic grass for her chi and omg no matter how much they washed it, it always stank to high heaven so it went in the bin fast.

Edited by Alibi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

I used one called The Spotty Potty for the first 3yrs for my dog, it had rubber "grass" and an absorbent pad underneath, cant rate it high enough as once it was washed (just mostly a simple hose and sometimes a spray with some natural cleaner) had no smell whatsoever.  My sister had a pet loo with synthetic grass for her chi and omg no matter how much they washed it, it always stank to high heaven so it went in the bin fast.

Great tip - I've been searching for a solution for my next litter. It looks nice and low too...?

5 hours ago, Alibi said:

Thanks Alibi, I'll look into that one too... is it true it turns the urine into a gel?

Thanks

It is very low and quiet large, I loved the height as it had to be low enough for a toy breed pup but big enough where there is room to avoid standing on the edge and peeing off the side lol.

No gel, it consists of the base, which then you lay down a spotty potty pee pad then fit the plastic grate ontop, then lay the rubber grass/mat on the grate.  I would pick the poos up twice a day and change the pad about 3 times a week and hose the mat, it was only $20 for a extra mat so I had two in rotation, hose the dirty one, leave it in the sun to dry with the other already clean one going straight back down.  Worked great!  Would still be using it now if we didn't move into a place with a yard.  My pet warehouse has them cheap.

• Like 1

Just looking at the Aldi catalogue, they have a children's 1m x 1m Conni pad on sale from 15 Feb for $40. I might look at getting a couple as I go through so many pee pads with 4 dogs using them at the moment (my fences are useless so they are all inside unless I'm outside supervising)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Spotted Devil said:

Sounds perfect @Alibi thank you so much for the info. So I need the kit plus a spare mat plus extra pads?

They often have specials on the pads too, I used to buy the box of 100 which would last for ages.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alibi said:

They often have specials on the pads too, I used to buy the box of 100 which would last for ages.

Good to know! I ended up getting the 25 as that's likely enough - depending on litter size - to get me started. So appreciate the heads up - have been looking for a solution for ages. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Alibi said:

It is very low and quiet large, I loved the height as it had to be low enough for a toy breed pup but big enough where there is room to avoid standing on the edge and peeing off the side lol.

No gel, it consists of the base, which then you lay down a spotty potty pee pad then fit the plastic grate ontop, then lay the rubber grass/mat on the grate.  I would pick the poos up twice a day and change the pad about 3 times a week and hose the mat, it was only $20 for a extra mat so I had two in rotation, hose the dirty one, leave it in the sun to dry with the other already clean one going straight back down.  Worked great!  Would still be using it now if we didn't move into a place with a yard.  My pet warehouse has them cheap.

Awesome, I drove past My pet warehouse today haha could of picked one up... the ones from America use real grass where this one seems to be a rubber grass mat which is cool and yeah the free on helps... I have 100 pee pads so I am assuming I could use them in it too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bballj said:

Awesome, I drove past My pet warehouse today haha could of picked one up... the ones from America use real grass where this one seems to be a rubber grass mat which is cool and yeah the free on helps... I have 100 pee pads so I am assuming I could use them in it too.

Yeah I would sometimes use the normal pee pads if I wasn't organised enough to order the others in time, it's just you need to use two of them to cover the base.

• 5 years later...
23 hours ago, dianeburms said:

Looking for some information on synthetic grass for my garden usage, does anyone have experience with installation on medium strips, roundabouts, public areas?
Products, thickness used and longevity any information on previous experiences would be great

Thanks in advance

I can't remember where I saw the warning but synthetic grass gets HOT.  Real grass transpires so there's evaporative cooling.   Fake grass just absorbs solar radiation and converts it to heat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandgrubber said:

I can't remember where I saw the warning but synthetic grass gets HOT.  Real grass transpires so there's evaporative cooling.   Fake grass just absorbs solar radiation and converts it to heat.

I have seen this too.  I think it was in an article about designing children’s play areas.