Flaxseed oil

I found some flax seed oil capsules that my Mum bought and doesn't use, and I thought oh that's good I'll try giving some to the dogs. I just stuck a pin in the capsule and emptied it out, they loved the taste of it. But it turns out it says it expired the middle of 2016, but it doesn't smell rancid or anything (I have used flaxseed oil for oil painting and it smells gross when rancid) 

I thought I'd ask if it becomes bad for them when expired or just it wouldn't be beneficial anymore? Also what benefits does (fresh) flax seed oil give?

Provided that your dogs are not grain intolerant, flaxseed (aka linseed) oil adds fatty acids to their diet, although there is divided opinion whether dogs ans cats can actually access the acids in the form that linseed oil has them. Fish oil is also high in Omega 3 and is likely to be more accessible to carnivores

As to the expiry date being almost 12 months old I suspect that there is even less chance of it benefiting them but it is not likely to do any harm.

I usually grind up linseeds (along with millet and fenugreek seeds) in the coffee grinder, I keep all the seeds in the freezer so they will last a while. I think linseeds lose their goodness when kept at room temperature.

the dogs go yum yum when I mix the ground seeds into their minced turkey necks

11 hours ago, PossumCorner said:

I'm a bit wary of it raw-ground because linseed contains cyanide (like apple cores and apricot seeds) and can be toxic to horses.  We always boil it before mixing with horse feed, never fed raw.  I know a dog isn't a horse, but the wariness rubs off.

There is this info PC--> http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-197324.html  

and https://www.vetary.com/dog/condition/flax-poisoning

the above link says; Recommended doses of flaxseed oil for dogs range from about 1 teaspoon per day for a small dog to 1 tablespoon for a large dog

I give about a tsp of ground-up, mixed-together, fenugreek/linseeds/millet daily so the linseed oil content will be minimal (as opposed to pure linseed oil)

On 09/02/2017 at 9:43 PM, PossumCorner said:

I'm a bit wary of it raw-ground because linseed contains cyanide (like apple cores and apricot seeds) and can be toxic to horses.  We always boil it before mixing with horse feed, never fed raw.  I know a dog isn't a horse, but the wariness rubs off.

Dogs shouldn't have apple seeds either... 

I think I might just chuck the flaxseed/linseed oil and not bother, stick with the coconut oil which they LOVE and seems to work amazingly. I think it is meant to be stored under 25°C or similar and I put it with the dog food in the garage, with this 45°+ weather it'd probably be ruined. 

(Gets up to 47°c again today! :eek:)

• Like 1