Egg the Pug

Papillon Kisses

http://m.police.nsw.gov.au/news_media_releases?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHBzJTNBJTJGJTJGZWJpenByZC5wb2xpY2UubnN3Lmdvdi5hdSUyRm1lZGlhJTJGNjEwMTcuaHRtbCZhbGw9MQ%3D%3D

Pug stolen during armed robbery - Sydney Olympic Park

Friday, 10 February 2017 04:13:44 AM

Police are appealing for public assistance to help locate a dog safely after it was stolen from his owner in Sydney Olympic Park last night.

About 10.30pm (Thursday 9 February 2017), officers from Flemington Local Area Command were called to the corner of Australia Avenue and Parkview Drive after receiving reports of a robbery.

Police have been told three unknown men armed with knives approached a 29-year-old man walking his dog along Australia Avenue.

The unknown men demanded the man’s wallet and backpack. The man complied and the trio ran from the scene, also taking the man’s dog.

The man, uninjured, contacted police and a search commenced for the men and the dog.

The 14-week-old dog, named ‘Egg’, is described as a smaller breed ‘Pug’, black, and may have a red coiled collar around his neck.

Police are continuing to search for ‘Egg’, and would like to speak to three men who may be able to assist them.

All are described as being of Mediterranean/Middle Eastern appearance, and approximately 30-years-old. Two are of slim build and the third man is described as being of large build with a bald head and a goatee.

The three men were seen wearing dark shorts.

Police are urging the men to safely return the dog and attend their nearest police station.

Police are urging anyone with information in relation to this incident to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au/ Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter pages.

Edited by Papillon Kisses
Updated subject as dog was not stolen
  • Like 1

On 10/02/2017 at 8:33 PM, RuralPug said:

14 weeks old? Will be sold on one of the online sites. Hopefully little Egg was already microchipped and can be traced that way. Not much fun for the poor soul that innocently buys him though.

That's what I thought too, will keep an eye out on Gumtree for black pugs. Bit hard to tell them apart in a small photo though :( 

Hopefully he is microchipped and has "missing" added to his to his details. 

• Like 1

WOULDNT give up, I had a puppy stolen and incredibly 4 months later there she was on Trading post, her owner had apparently bought her at a market and was being transferred overseas.

A friend had a puppy pinched over her fence, microchipped and council notified, 5 years down the track she has never been found to date, so obviously she has not been a stray yet or been to a vet who scanned her

although I know my vet scanned a dog brought in for a fight injury and discovered he was listed as lost. phoned the registered owner to learn he had been stolen 2 years prior.  she was over the moon to get him back so it can happen but you have to be patient and lucky

or in my case persistant in checking for sale adds

• Like 1

19 hours ago, asal said:

WOULDNT give up, I had a puppy stolen and incredibly 4 months later there she was on Trading post, her owner had apparently bought her at a market and was being transferred overseas.

A friend had a puppy pinched over her fence, microchipped and council notified, 5 years down the track she has never been found to date, so obviously she has not been a stray yet or been to a vet who scanned her

although I know my vet scanned a dog brought in for a fight injury and discovered he was listed as lost. phoned the registered owner to learn he had been stolen 2 years prior.  she was over the moon to get him back so it can happen but you have to be patient and lucky

or in my case persistant in checking for sale adds

Aww, some sad & happy stories there asal! Hopefully Egg's story has a happy ending, his poor owner would be feeling awful! How scary & devastating?! 

It is a bit sad that scanning a dog and checking the chip is not default for vets...

but there are some arguments against it.  eg a stolen dog might not get treatment it needs if the owner knows all vets scan.

and two - (dog) thieves are bad people and you / vets really don't want to get into a confrontation with them.

But it wouldn't hurt to discuss microchipping with all new owners, the bad guys can just say no.  The ones who bought stolen goods might say yes and then the true owners can be contacted (if their details are the same).   Cos you'd have to scan before you put a chip in surely.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Little Gifts said:

Mum's cat is still missing and we all feel he is still alive. If he is happy where he is now then fine but I'm hoping his microchip connects us back to him again at some point in the future so we can get closure on what happened.

what area did he go missing from again LG? can you also post another photo of him?

He went missing from Holmview (near Beenleigh) in late July last year. We door knocked and put posters up in both suburbs (in case he was making his way home) several times. Pamphlets in letter boxes. Ads in the community paper. Kept bumping his lost ad on social media. There was not one sighting of him. I then paid a psychic to see what she could see (yes, we were that desperate) and strangely at the same time as she pin pointed a street we got several calls from an older lady in that street about him but she just kept saying she'd seen a poster and was curious but had not seen him. We all think she was lying but had no other details to pursue it. We've all dreamed about him being alive and ok where he is now. I looked on all the lost and founds and pound sites every day for at least four months but nothing. Kept visiting my local pound every week just in case. It was hard to lose him after losing mum, particularly when we thought we'd found him the perfect new home. He's just a tabby cat so nothing special to anyone but mum. His only real identifying feature was a bullseye ring on his side.

Joe home.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-22/egg-the-pug-owner-charged-with-making-false-robbery-report/8292576

Here's the new news report. ^^^

Not sure if it's true, but apparently he made the story up to cover up for accidentally killing him or losing him or something. 

That's appalling that someone would make rubbish up like that, wasting police time, the public's time and media coverage. :mad I remember thinking "wow, it's unusual that it has been so widely covered", but obviously it's because

a) dog lovers felt sorry for the owner and the dog, and

b) media would've known it made for good story; a cute pug with a cute name stolen at knife point. 

Meanwhile actual stolen dogs and lost dogs aren't getting coverage (suppose that's "boring" for news)

This whole time we were worrying for the owner, and being worried about what these "burglars" would do to Egg, but then it was the owner we should be skeptical of...

Hopefully Egg is ok. :cry: (if he ever actually existed I suppose.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Do you think the red thing around his neck is meant to be the 'red coiled collar' they talk about? I find it really bizarre. It looks more like a toy. :confused: 

I don't know. It is meant to be a chew toy, I've seen them before.

Maybe he was wearing a different red collar and it's a coincidence, but I have never heard of a "coiled collar" before? I have seen coiled springy leads made out of those surf leg rope type materials, maybe they got collar and leash mixed up, people do that surprisingly often. 

Nonetheless it is quite a weird turn of events. I am annoyed though that he tricked the public, the media and let alone the police into thinking it was true though, such a low thing to do. Perhaps he had a (probably twisted) reason to do so, but regardless. :(

Having had a puppy choke and unable to save it, even though it was over 20 years ago it is utterly devastating. she just put her face in the puppy porridge and tried to suck it up in one go, how much went into her lungs no idea but nothing worked to clear her airways and gone even before we could get to the car.

the guy was an idiot to do what he did to try to hide what happened from his partner but I can understand how awful he felt and probably still thinks the death is his fault.

truth is, accidents happen and puppies like children have no idea of danger.

even the widely recommended chicken necks can kill a puppy, only a few years ago misty, still living thank goodness, tried to swallow three at one go without chewing them and choked, once your puppy is big enough to swallow them whole without chewing them is time to stop providing them I almost learned the hard way.

trying to pull such slippery things out is almost impossible but we were lucky, got hold of one and she vomited the other two back.

learned the much safer chew option is lamb or beef necks, way to big for anything but hours of chewing and teeth cleaning fun

Edited by asal
  • Like 2

I am sure many of us have had the awful experience of having something stuck in our own throats and also stuck in our pets’ throats.  I had a mad dash to SASH one morning with Myrtie.  Luckily she could still breathe, but the bit of roo jerky had to be taken out under general.  

You are extremely forgiving of the chap who supposedly owned Egg, asal.  To fabricate a story like that, to waste the resources of police, friends and get sympathy from all over the world is not something to be forgiving of, I feel.  I hope the police throw the book at him.   

Poor little Egg.  :cry:  :cry:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

I am sure many of us have had the awful experience of having something stuck in our own throats and also stuck in our pets’ throats.  I had a mad dash to SASH one morning with Myrtie.  Luckily she could still breathe, but the bit of roo jerky had to be taken out under general.  

You are extremely forgiving of the chap who supposedly owned Egg, asal.  To fabricate a story like that, to waste the resources of police, friends and get sympathy from all over the world is not something to be forgiving of, I feel.  I hope the police throw the book at him.   

Poor little Egg.  :cry:  :cry:

I am accused of being far more able to forgive others, than I can myself.

We really need to realise public shaming of someone who we do not know, or what mental problems they may have can end terribly, as a friend Hannah, pointed out today. " i'm gonna cut this short, but mental health led to over 3.5k suicides in Australia last year. in 2015, 1.2k people died in road crashes.
think about that for a sec. that's a big number. — almost triple!
you probably know someone contemplating suicide and though they're not your responsibility, showing a bit of love goes a loooong way, trust me Xx "

Stop and think, what could have been going on in this guys head to do what he did?

We dont know, we never will, does anyone really think pushing him over the edge will bring back Egg from what was now known to be an accident?

Charge him by all means, but hope he gets help too, he obviously needs to learn how to deal with stress

Edited by asal
  • Like 2