Puppy Shedding - Japanese Spitz X

bballj

Hi all, 

I searched this forum for an answer on puppy shedding and one thread came up which didn't give a lot of info and it was from over 6 years ago so thought i'd start a new one.

We have a 5 months old Japanese Spitz X Shiba Inu and currently is shedding like crazy, our couch, clothes covered in her hair. We have her groomed almost every 2 - 3 weeks professionally and they take a fair bit of hair out and we try to brush every couple of days. However it just seems like it's not enough and she is always shedding... I understand she may be changing her coat but how long can we expect it to last for and secondly are there any other tips to help alleviate the shedding... I know about the Furminator which our groomer uses but I don't want to use it too often either as I know it can be harsh on the undercoat. 

Any thoughts or recommendations.

Thank you for your replies in advance.

Both her parent breeds shed heavily twice a year for up to three weeks, usually in spring and autumn. You might like to try a product call Sleekez, a shedding brush based on a cat's tongue which is available from some horse outlets, and which thoroughly removes dead undercoat, dirt and dander. There are many videos available online showing its use.

Or a thorough comb through daily with a steel comb will remove much of the dead undercoat during the shedding. If this is her first puppy shed, it may last a little longer than the normal twice yearly sheds.

You have a cross where both breeds always drop coat ,you will never stop it ,bathing and blow drying with a blaster will remove a lot ,

depending on what the coat looks like I would not be using a furminator,it need a good comb,brush a line brush regularly but if you wanted a low shedding dog you picked the wrong one 

• Like 1

Thanks Showdog... I get such mixed responses as you can see, some people say they drop coat twice a year, others say it will be all year round like yourself so my responses are mixed and confusing but I understand everyone's opinions too. 

Can you explain what you mean brush in line and comb? What's the difference? 

Sorry for my inexperience just wanted some answers.

Both breeds will do a major coat drop often twice yearly BUT they still always shed and depending on what coat your pup has ended up with it may be more or less .At 5 months I actually wouldn't be expecting the puppy drop to have started but as you have conflicting coat crosses you will have the unknown.

Humidity can make a coat grow thick .

it almost sounds like the right coat isn't been brushed out the furminator is not the tool I would use on the coat .

maybe you could post a picture of your pup so we can see the length .

if it's a tad more fluffy lime a jap spitz then you would comb /brush through in sections to make sure your getting through to the bottom not just affecting the top 

21 hours ago, bballj said:

Thanks Showdog... I get such mixed responses as you can see, some people say they drop coat twice a year, others say it will be all year round like yourself so my responses are mixed and confusing but I understand everyone's opinions too. 

Can you explain what you mean brush in line and comb? What's the difference? 

Sorry for my inexperience just wanted some answers.

When you brush, do one small section at time - part the hair so that you can see right down to the skin and brush from the part to the ends. A good rule is too make sure that each section is no wider then half the bristles of your brush, that way you are brushing all of the coat and not just the top coat. ninety percent of the shed is dead undercoat which is why you need to brush right from the skin out. The comb will be mostly handy for removing the hair from the brush plus it is really handy for the fiddly bits that the brush can't quite reach. :)

• Like 1

On 13/02/2017 at 11:12 AM, RiverStar-Aura said:

Then, you might as well learn to live by my phrase: I don't have dogs to be clean or wear white. :laugh: 

Unless you have a light-coloured dog. No black or navy for me! :laugh:

bballj, my dog is a totally different crossbreed, but I find that he sheds a lot year round and then EVEN MORE in Spring and Autumn. The shedding also increases if there's a sudden temperature change at any other time.

I use a furminator as my dog has a short, smooth coat but I don't think I would with yours. I think it might damage that sort of coat. I'd go for a regular brush/comb.

Very cute dog BTW! :love: