Flea spot-ons, any special tips?

*Avanti*

I gave my dog his monthly Advantage tonight, forgot and patted him getting it all over my sleeve. I find the first day of application a bit tricky as I don't want to get it all over the couch and bed where he hangs out. One time I tried putting his little polar fleece coat on but thought that might limit its effectiveness. So I post to ask if others have any special tips for that first day? I wish I didn't have to use this stuff but he seems to attract fleas if I don't. I'm also impressed that Advantage has one that does heart worm as well as other worms. He is a rescue dog and this is what they had been using so I am continuing with it. 

Edited by *Avanti*
  • Like 1

I've changed over to sentinel chews - no more wet back dog.

But way back when - I think I put it on before morning walk and it was pretty good by the end of it.  As long as morning walk wasn't the beach...  Or before evening walk. 

and encourage anyone who wants to pat her to do under the chin.   She mostly gets under the chin or butt rub pats from me on walks.

I have just ordered Advantage for my 2 ... for some reason after giving them Sentinel for the past few years they have suddenly decided that they don't like it, don't know if they have changed the formula but it seems strange that they have loved it and then suddenly don't like it .

When in the past I have used spot ons,  I seperate the fur and put it on close to the skin so less gets on the fur... bit hard if you have long haired dogs though I imagine.

10 hours ago, Mrs Rusty Bucket said:

I've changed over to sentinel chews - no more wet back dog.

But way back when - I think I put it on before morning walk and it was pretty good by the end of it.  As long as morning walk wasn't the beach...  Or before evening walk. 

and encourage anyone who wants to pat her to do under the chin.   She mostly gets under the chin or butt rub pats from me on walks.

Only problem with Sentinel is it doesn't kill adult fleas, if your dog has a flea allergy then Sentinel won't work. We had Scrappi on Sentinel for ages, but then every spring/summer he would be itchy, vet originally said grass allergies and prescribed Prednisol. (Which he didn't do well on) 

But a few years later we went back because he was itching badly and turns out he has flea allergies and that even though he had none on him, there was flea poop and bites so they just jump on and off. So this whole time we disqualified fleas because we thought he was covered :(

So now we use interceptor and advantage (flea only?) and feed a better diet so his skin is better now. 

Plus he HATES the taste of Sentinel and interceptor. Helpful haha. Have to chop up in tiny bits and mix with sardines etc. 

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

interesting.  Haven't seen any adult fleas but that doesn't mean they haven't been aboard.  Mine loves the taste of Sentinel - much easier to get her to eat it than those giant pink worming tablets that came with revolution.

We've actually been able to drop to the smaller dose of sentinel too - evil hound lost just enough weight.  I hate how most of the flea products cut over is just on the weight she is... (20 - 22kg )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scrappi&Monty said:

Plus he HATES the taste of Sentinel and interceptor. Helpful haha. Have to chop up in tiny bits and mix with sardines etc. 

Not sure if this helps or not but Milbemax is the same as Interceptor Spectrum, but in a non-chewable form. If you need to hide pieces in meals anyway it would be a cheaper option especially when purchased in multiple packs.

https://www.budgetpetproducts.com.au/m/category/dog-products/flea-tick-worm/milbemax/108/

It does have a slightly different weight range. In our case it turned out favorably as Malcolm currently keeps going over and under 4kg which is the cut off for Interceptor.

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Not sure if this helps or not but Milbemax is the same as Interceptor Spectrum, but in a non-chewable form. If you need to hide pieces in meals anyway it would be a cheaper option especially when purchased in multiple packs.

https://www.budgetpetproducts.com.au/m/category/dog-products/flea-tick-worm/milbemax/108/

It does have a slightly different weight range. In our case it turned out favorably as Malcolm currently keeps going over and under 4kg which is the cut off for Interceptor.

That sounds good, I believe I had considered that before but then just decided to go with the usual (interceptor spectrum) as it was on sale. So is it one tablet for dogs between 5kg & 25kg? Scrappi is about 13 and Monty about 21 so that would be good!

(Sorry OP for kind of stealing your thread) 

I also sort of have the same trouble with the drops, but they do seem to work well. :) 

2 hours ago, Scrappi&Monty said:

That sounds good, I believe I had considered that before but then just decided to go with the usual (interceptor spectrum) as it was on sale. So is it one tablet for dogs between 5kg & 25kg? Scrappi is about 13 and Monty about 21 so that would be good!

(Sorry OP for kind of stealing your thread) 

I also sort of have the same trouble with the drops, but they do seem to work well. :) 

For the pack you would buy (dogs over 5kg) it says to give 1 tablet to dogs weighing 5 to 25kg. Too easy! At least when it comes to working out the dose, lol. Actually getting them in can be a different issue I know!

• Like 1

One tip.  If you have multiple dogs, DO NOT LET THEM LICK EACH OTHER AFTER YOU APPLY A SPOT-ON.  I ended out with a dog having horrible seizures and longer-term neurological problems (periodi focal seizures) after she licked her pup after application of a spot-on containing synthetic pyretheroids (as does advantage).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

One tip.  If you have multiple dogs, DO NOT LET THEM LICK EACH OTHER AFTER YOU APPLY A SPOT-ON.  I ended out with a dog having horrible seizures and longer-term neurological problems (periodi focal seizures) after she licked her pup after application of a spot-on containing synthetic pyretheroids (as does advantage).

That's so sad sandgrubber! :(

That's why sometimes I'm reluctant to use it even though Scrappi needs it because they play wrestle and mouth each other's faces and scruffs (they're weird haha) 

and then at night time Scrappi wants to get on the lounge and have pats and sometimes the rest of the family forgets, even if I have reminded them a few times. 

• 2 weeks later...

I put it in before my pup goes to bed.. or before a long walk. Make sure you part the fur and get as much on the skin as possible and then there's less of a sticky spot! He's allergic to a lot of foods so the spot on works very well for him. 

• 2 weeks later...