Looking for recommendations for behavioural trainer in Melbourne

Allerzeit

Hi guys :)

Story is, family member with a 1 year old baby and a kelpie.

We're in Tasmania, and they're in Melbourne so I can't see the situation first hand, but our family members has just messaged me with the following.  I have said that the vet is a very good idea and definitely looking to have a trainer come and assess, and for now to keep them separated.  I have told her that I would post this here to seek advice and please, any recommendations on reputable behavioural trainers in Melbourne that they could contact?

Thanks so much for advice and recommendations :)

I have a question for both, or one, of you. Indie has progressively gotten worse around the baby now that she is crawling and trying to walk.

She tries to pet Indie (with me there) and tries to play with him.

Initially I thought I noticed some nervous behaviour from Indie, but OH was pretty dismissive because he trained Indie and thinks that he knows him well enough to think he wouldn't attack anyone.

But the more the baby is trying to interact with him the more he is starting to do things like snarling at her and snapping at her.

He doesn't move away from her if he is unhappy, he seems to expect her to stay away from him. Which is all well and good generally as I don't let them near each other unless I am there.

Yesterday however, I was sitting with the two of them, I was patting Indie and he was fine, then the baby attempted to join in and he immediately snarled before she had even touched him.

It is quite stressful and I feel as if OH doesn't believe me, but I am extremely reluctant to have Indie inside with the baby now, which is probably going to further contribute to his jealousy of her.

I am at a loss of what to do, we introduced them the way professionals recommend and we don't let the baby play with him in a rough manner or at all for that matter.

I have booked him into a vet to see if he is in any pain or anything that may be causing him to be more agitated, but I genuinely believe it is behavioural and that he thinks he is in charge.

My question is, should we be investing in a trainer to come and work with us and Indie and see if we can resolve the problem? And if so, can you guys recommend someone in melbourne for us?

Or is it something that generally isn't fixable, and should we be looking to completely separate the two? My worry about this though is that further separating them will make the problem worse, and that the already lessened time we spend with Indie will be even less.

Cosmolo from Underdog Training comes highly recommended, as does another Doler from Geelong (sorry, her name escapes me at the moment, my mind has gone blank :laugh: but I had her come out to me to help with an unwanted behaviour and she was great)

I remembered, it's Nekhbet from Inlinek9     :)

Edited by Cazablanca
spelling

7 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Here are a couple of behavioural trainers:

Sylvie Martin

Crosspaws
http://www.crosspaws.com.au/

Sylvie is a lovely person and helped guide our interactions last year when I started taking my fearful dog to social locations like the pets market. She's very calm and patient with both you and your dog (I was very nervous).

I've heard good things about Amanda Murcutt from some dog trainers I trust, but have not personally used her services.

• Like 1

You know, a lot of dogs are uncomfortable with babies. This kind of thing comes up repeatedly with clients. Dr Kate Mornement is also in Melbourne (Pets Behaving Badly). Kaye is a friend of mine. I like her style. She's very experienced and a great critical thinker when it comes to training. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendations guys.  Allerzeit - if you want - feel free to PM me or email me and we can discuss further at length how I can help your friend/ family member :). 

Can also back up the recommendations of those that I know that have already been recommended on here - Cosmolo, Kaye, and of course Kate Mornement :).