Dewclaw growing back

PANDI-GIRL

Hi,  PANDI  my 5 month old Toy poodle has 1 front dewclaw growing , it is very tiny and feels like it is twisting outwards.

Breeder said don't worry about it .

I'm thinking about having the vet take it off when she gets desexed - after all her teeth are in.

Why do you think this dewclaw grew back, if it is taken off might it grow back again.

There must have been a stump left for anything to grow back at all. It certainly could be removed during the desexing surgery - it won't regrow after that.

If the current regrowth is twisted and will make it difficult for regular dewclaw trimming, then it should be removed - you can discuss this with your vet. Given that poodles need regular coat clipping, I personally would opt for removal during desexing surgery in any case.

• Like 2

My boy is the first dog I can recall having dew claws and I can tell you now - If I had him as a younger dog I'd have had them removed. He's always hurting them! The first time was within a week of bringing him home from the shelter on trial. Most recently this year he pulled the nail out of the pad while he was out having a night time pee - god only knows how!

Talk to your vet but I would be having them done at desex & done properly they shouldnt grow back 

My current dogs both had a dew claw not correctly removed and they are tiny wee things that I occasionally dremel with the others. I agree with the breeder. You know it's there so just trim it if it ever needs it. One of my dogs is now desexed and I didn't bother getting it removed.

The dewclaw is attached in a little bony toe stump,  it  does not feel normal - thin & twisted outward.

The other foot has no dewclaw, but I can feel the toe bone on the inside of her leg is still there, do you think this one will grow 

back as well, 

The other dewclaw is unlikely to grow back - the bone is not the actual nail. Normally the entire nail, including the growth bed, is snipped off during dewclaw removal and the nail cannot grow back. If a tiny bit of growth bed is missed, as is happened with her other foot, then the dewclaw will regrow.

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

When i touch this dewclaw she seems very sore on it , 

She lets me cut all the other nails fine no problems.

Do you think because it is twisted outwards it could be hurting her:(

That's very likely.    My BC boy has hurt a front dewclaw a couple of times, and it is quite painful.     I think a vet visit is well in order, sooner rather than later.   Apart from the fact you don't want the pup to be hurting, they tend to lick the paw to make it feel better, and that can become habitual .. to be avoided if you can.  Your vet will give you advice on whether it is a temporary problem, or whether it needs a bit more action.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We have seen the vet , he looked at the dew claw  & said it was quite  abnormal the way it is growing

So he will remove it next month when she  is being  desexed,  vet said it should not be a problem after that is done properly .

I hope it does  not hurt to much after  the op

• Like 1