Stained fur - any ideas?

teekay

So good to read, WM.  I can’t believe the difference with my eyes too :laugh:;  I was in such discomfort.  I am sure it is the same with Sarah as well.  I wish I had the photos to show you my original Maltese, Nammu and Calypso (long before I had a digital camera :() - their staining was so bad that one day when I was out with them, a little girl said to her mum, “Those dogs have blood on their faces.”   :cry::cry:  

It was when Nammu had a little bit of infection in one of his eyes that my vet told me about Optrex and since then (probably about 1994) I’ve never been without.  I couldn’t believe the difference in the brightness and clearness of their eyes.  Nammu’s stain disappeared never to return and Calypso always had a little tiny bit, but she died at three and a half, so maybe in time hers would have disappeared as well.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, westiemum said:

DD and teekay just wanted to pop back and say thanks sooo much.  Sarebears face and eyes seem soon much better. I started her on the dry eye one a week ago and that bottle lasted a little over a day and then I got the bigger bottle of eye wash.  While she's still stained, it isn't as mucky, brown and angry looking as it was. And most importantly she seems happier too.

Thanks tons again DD - and how are you going with it teekay?

Well, I'm bathing her eyes daily but, as I said, her eyes weren't too bad anyway. As far as the staining goes it was more the discolouration around her mouth and chest that was concerning me. Too soon to tell whether any of the changes I have made have made any difference. I want to go and get some Glowhite horse shampoo to see if I can get some of the staining off that way. And then once it's a little whiter ( If it works at all ) I will be able to see if it reoccurs as bad as it is at the moment. She's loving the new food anyway so no problems continuing to use it. :)

Good to hear Sarah's eyes are so much better though :thumbsup:

• Like 1

teekay, I'm using the eye wash directly on the staining on Sarahs cheeks and face as well as in her eyes - and it certainly seems to be helping.  So maybe try wiping some on your girls mouth and chest and see if it helps?  Gotta be honest - not a big fan of those whitening shampoos anymore - think they are a bit harsh?  So will be very interested in how you get on and what you think.

The really good news is Sarebear's staining around her eyes is continuing to get much better and I think she is much more comfy!  Thanks again DD. 

On 2/26/2017 at 3:14 PM, teekay said:

I want to go and get some Glowhite horse shampoo to see if I can get some of the staining off that way.

I've used Equinade Glo White horse shampoo on my dogs for years, I love it! I use it straight on Koda's coat, brings his whtie bits up sparkling :D With Finn I use it diluted and I do him one side at a time otherwise it stays on him too long and stains him purple. That's poodle hair though, poodle hair holds colour like crazy. I can leave this stuff on Koda for ages and it won't stain him. Just be aware of that if you haven't used it before though :) It's the only shampoo I've found that actually brings Finn up white. I also wouldn't say it's harsh personally but none of my dogs have sensitive skin.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, maddogdodge said:

I've used Equinade Glo White horse shampoo on my dogs for years, I love it! I use it straight on Koda's coat, brings his whtie bits up sparkling :D With Finn I use it diluted and I do him one side at a time otherwise it stays on him too long and stains him purple. That's poodle hair though, poodle hair holds colour like crazy. I can leave this stuff on Koda for ages and it won't stain him. Just be aware of that if you haven't used it before though :) It's the only shampoo I've found that actually brings Finn up white. I also wouldn't say it's harsh personally but none of my dogs have sensitive skin.

Good point maddogdosge - my Sarah does have sensitive skin and is very prone to yeast outbreaks so I'm very careful what I use on her.   But yes I'm sure the Glo White works well on other dogs. :)  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, westiemum said:

Good point maddogdosge - my Sarah does have sensitive skin and is very prone to yeast outbreaks so I'm very careful what I use on her.   But yes I'm sure the Glo White works well on other dogs. :)  

Yeah I wouldn't use it on a dog who has skin like your Sarah does. I've been very lucky with my dogs when it comes to skin health.