Vomiting dogs, not impressed.

Rascalmyshadow

Ever since we got Hugo (toy poodle) as an 8 week old puppy he has regularly vomited, sometimes because he's eaten plastic (he's obsessed with the stuff) other times for no apparent reason. 

He's been checked out by the vets (examination only) we've tried a few different foods and nothing seems to make a difference.

it seems to happen mostly during the night only occasionally through the day.

Now we've just layed brand new carpet through the loungeroom and bedrooms and in a week he's vomited in three of the four rooms.

any ideas as to what could be the cause?

i know it's not his fault but I'm getting over spending so much money just to have stuff ruined.

He gets dinner around 5:30 tends to throw up during the night, never seen him throw up straight after a meal.

Doesnt do it after breakfast very often.

its usually typical vomit although sometimes it's just yellow throthy bile, he general makes heaving sounds before it happens which often wakes me during the night so I know what's coming.

Will read up on megaeosophagus, and try elevating his bowl.

Will also book him in with the local vet maybe they can find something.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rascalmyshadow said:

He gets dinner around 5:30 tends to throw up during the night, never seen him throw up straight after a meal.

its usually typical vomit although sometimes it's just yellow throthy bile, he general makes heaving sounds before it happens which often wakes me during the night so I know what's coming.

A vet check is a good start :) 

My first thought, because I had one  wee small hours bile upchucker  was this ;) Their tummy is emptied, and gets  uncomfortable with no food to absoorb bile/acid ..so they get rid of the irritant!
 Easy fix, if so ;)  It involves a nice late night snack . All Kieran ever needed was one or two bonio bikkies :) No more  vomits. 

fingers crossed it's an easy fix. 

Nova did this regularly until about 18 months old. Vomited bile at night UNLESS he was given something to eat before bed. If he had an empty stomach he would vomit. So I would split his dinner meal and give 3/4 at normal dinner time and 1/4 at bed time. Stopped it fine. I slowly experimented as he got older with reducing the amount until he grew out of it. But if he ever skips a meal he'll vomit bile again. 

Had vet check ups and vet said that it can be a puppy thing with sensitive and empty stomachs, he just didn't grow out of it. 

His tummy might be empty, might need a bigger or later dinner or a little snack before bed. 

Hopefully that fixes it for the little fella. :) 

We have had it happen a few times, strangely if we feed Scrappi raw chicken necks or turkey necks (even though he is fine with drumsticks or wings etc) 

1 hour ago, Rascalmyshadow said:

Not likely to be mega eosophagus then

1 hour ago, Rebanne said:

Not likely to be mega eosophagus then

Did some reading on this and I think your right, his symptoms don't seem fitting.

Sometimes it's a proper spew (sorry) food and all, last night he did two in our bedroom, today a bit more unusual for him in the day time, he did two in the loungeroom.

if it was due to an empty stomach should he still spew up food?

He's around 2 1/2 now so I would have thought if it was an imaturity thing it would have improved by now.

He's not losing weight or condition and doesn't seem to have diarrhoea or drinking excessively or anything else worrying.

Well we rushed Hugo to the vet this morning, for the first time he seemed very uncomfortable and had bloody diahorrea (spelling?)

xrays showed no blockage so he's being treated for inflammation and infection with antibiotics, anti inflammatories and pain killers.

Looks like he might also be put on a prescription diet!

4 minutes ago, Rascalmyshadow said:

Well we rushed Hugo to the vet this morning, for the first time he seemed very uncomfortable and had bloody diahorrea (spelling?)

xrays showed no blockage so he's being treated for inflammation and infection with antibiotics, anti inflammatories and pain killers.

Looks like he might also be put on a prescription diet!

Oh dear! Problem child ....  Here's hoping  he feels better soon ...   :hug: