Why ultrasound?

Bushriver

Wondering breeders different reasons for using ultrasound to confirm pregnancies. Is it just piece of mind of knowing you have a successful pregnancy? Wanting to know the number of pups? How does this help in your preparation and during whelping?

• Like 1

The only reason I will ultrasound now is to confirm when I suspect there are no pups so that I an let puppy people know. The times I previously tried US to get an idea of quantity for birth they were so wrong .... so I won't do that again.

We ultrasound so we now what we can commit too at that time ,we also block the diary to jobs one person can do instead of both of us,if not pregnant life goes back to normal .We have the numbers to be fairly accurate so if sitting in the early hrs twiddling our thumbs we have an idea of what she is expecting.

its cheap so worth our time to get done 

Edited by showdog

what you can get out of ultrasound depends greatly on the equipment and the training of the techs.

Back when I was breeding in WA, Murdoch vet school was letting well trained techs use top quality equipment and their counts were good (my girls typically had 9 or 10 pups . . .they generally came within one . . . sometimes they would say something like 10, but two are poorly attached and may not make it.

Murdoch stopped offering the service.  It's hard to find a good radiographer for this procedure.