Which breed is best?

Tornado

Hi, everyone. I'm interested in a bit of advice.

My brother, father and mother live in a townhouse complex where they are allowed to have a dog as long as it's not disruptive or loud. They had a beautiful old Labrador Retriever but he passed away in December and now they're thinking of getting another dog. However, we can't decide on the best breed. The dog would rarely be alone as there's nearly always someone home and it would have access to both the house and a small yard (bigger than your average townhouse yard but still not massive). The yard has a concrete fence about six feet high but it does border the road, which is busy on occasions, and as they're not far from a park and an off-lead area, numerous people walk/ride past, many with dogs with them, so whichever breed they get would need to be one that wouldn't go nuts at the mere sound/smell of a dog or person passing by on the other side of the fence.

My parents are now both over seventy so a boisterous dog is probably not ideal. My father likes to walk a dog but he likes to take it to the off-leash park so he can watch it run around while he sits on the bench. My brother, who will also walk the dog, will take it on longer walks as well, but my father does like to visit the dog off-leash park so it would be good if he could keep doing that.

The one thing they're all really terrible at is grooming a dog, so they would appreciate something that isn't a heavy shedder and didn't require a lot of brushing although they might be able to cope with a bit.

I've been wracking my brains to think of a breed that will work for them but I can't find one. Can anyone here help?

I'd be wary of a small dog at an off leash park, especially if your dad prefers to sit and watch the dog play. 

I was thinking a Greyhound (carefully assessed and proven good with other dogs). They are pretty chilled but will have a run, pretty safe in a dog park (as long as they are good with other dogs, especially smaller ones), not barky, easy grooming.

Or another adult lab that is past its high energy stage, either a rescue or a retired show dog.

1 hour ago, Simply Grand said:

I'd be wary of a small dog at an off leash park, especially if your dad prefers to sit and watch the dog play. 

I was thinking a Greyhound (carefully assessed and proven good with other dogs). They are pretty chilled but will have a run, pretty safe in a dog park (as long as they are good with other dogs, especially smaller ones), not barky, easy grooming.

Or another adult lab that is past its high energy stage, either a rescue or a retired show dog.

depending where they live it is illegal to let a greyhound off lead at a dog park. Not allowed in Vic ( or wasn't last time I checked out the laws )

We have an Italian Greyhound, another dog that I would say NO:mad  way for the situation you describe, our girl is a great watch dog and sadly if she is outside and the neighbour happens to be near the fence she really goes off at him and we have to bring her inside, or if she hears another dog barking she has a bark too, she has been like this since a puppy and she will be nine years old in April, secondly, they are a sight hound and you could never let them off their leash in a dog park, you would never catch it, they run like the wind, both my husband and I are elderly, but she goes walking, ON Leash, for about an hour every morning first thing, then sleeps away the day if she is inside, if she is outside she is on guard all the time, even the poor birds who come to our bird bath out the front get a telling off, thankfully we have a secure fence and gate that she cannot get through.

Honestly, id probably head to the pound and see what adults they have. 

I wouldnt suggest a pup, but even a few adult working breeds could suit. Cattle dogs, kelpies etc.. though this HIGHLY depends on the individual dogs, and i would do a trial first. 

My mother is in a similar situation, although perhaps a bit younger and more active. I've been helping her research for her next dog. At the moment a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is the top of her list. A bit of grooming required but from what I can gather not too much work. 

We had considered a GAP Greyhound but their sites specifically recommends never taking the dogs to an off-leash park. We considered Whippets but it seems breeders don't recommend it either. I think cattle dogs, kelpies, etc, are too high energy and I'd prefer not to get them a dog from the pound as you can't be sure of its background or how it's going to behave.

I wouldn't suggest any sighthound for a dog park with small fluffies.

I did wonder about a Cav too.

But if they like labs why not see if there are any older ones looking for homes in Lab rescue?, i have seen a few older ones on Gumtree lately aswell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, juice said:

I'm not sure i would recommend a staffy for a dog park, they get overstimulated very fast.

there is an 8 year old black lab looking for a new home on gumtree.

Have had a few friends with staffy's (sorry Staffordshire bull terriers) and they have all been excellent around other dogs including smaller ones.

I had pit bulls years ago and they were the same.

7 hours ago, Airedaler said:

What about a Basenji? 

Coffee splurt.

Actually just about my favourite dogs, I did breed and show Basenjis years ago and love them.  But jeeze they could be hard-going for destructiveness and bloody-mindedness if they chose, and obedience training can be interesting given that they question instructions and prefer conversation to orders.  True they don't bark in the traditional sense, but they can make some blood-curdling yowls if the spirit moves them.  And being a hunting breed, not rock solid off-leash without fair hours of training being invested.  Brilliant small to medium dogs to own, but need understanding.

• Like 1