Which breed is best?

Tornado

I'm not sure I can agree with sitting at the dog park watching a dog 'mingle' from a distance. I think it best to be as close as

possible to your dog to manage situations as they may arise in this environment. 

Having said that the Papillion keeps coming to mind for a pretty good all round choice 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mingaling said:

I'm not sure I can agree with sitting at the dog park watching a dog 'mingle' from a distance. I think it best to be as close as

possible to your dog to manage situations as they may arise in this environment. 

Having said that the Papillion keeps coming to mind for a pretty good all round choice 

True, it's not an ideal thing to do in a dog park unless it's quiet and everyone there (human and dog) knows each other. And as long as you watch so you can pick up poos.

Having said that if I ever sit down at the park I just get three dogs sitting right in front of me so there's not much point.

2 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Paps need to be brushed fairly regularly or they will mat, especially behind ears and elbows.

Yes! But the OP said they'd consider a Cavalier so imo the Papillion coat is no more work probably less. 

I and all my dog groomer friends spend half our lives shaving Cavaliers. Owners find shedding is very high and many of them, especially once desexed, get enormous 'Spey coats'. 

17 hours ago, westiemum said:

And how is that variability any different to any other breed  or any rescue service? They all have their advantages and disadvantages given there is no such thing as the perfect dog and greys are no exception.  It would be really helpful if the 'breed experts' provided a balanced view of the pros and cons of the breed which helped rather than hindered people looking for a dog.  

Genuine further question not in relation to Maddy's posts:  Why is it beginning to look like there is an exclusive club here that you need to belong to before you can suggest a greyhound which doesn't seem to apply to any other breed? Every time someone other than a selected few here suggest a grey they get jumped on and the discussion proceeds to damage the breed further. Its beginning to look like the worst of purebreed snobbery.  

I actually am beginning to feel very sorry for this breed - there's little hope for it with all this absolutely damning advocacy going on here, not to mention current publicity.  

I'm not going to discuss greys any further here as I don't want to be party to damaging the breed further.  i'll continue to support the breed outside DOL and refer people to GAP.  

Well done people. Another breed advocate gives up on here. 

Play on...

ETA: And BTW this sort of public discussion is damaging. And I for one am tired of trying to defend it and explain it to people who are simply trying to choose a dog.

It's not? Quoting myself..

It's no different to any other rescue/rehoming group in that you have to do your research.

To answer your question, there really isn't. But.. they do get pushed a lot as a "suits everyone" breed when that's not a balanced view. They're great dogs and if you are happy with all the positive/negative traits of a sighthound, they're a really sensible choice. However.. greys, unlike many other breeds of sighthound, are selected for drive. A greyhound that won't chase does not get bred from and overall drive levels tend to be on the higher side. A lot of adopters fail to understand what this drive actually translate to until they suffer the misfortune of seeing it happen (which usually comes about as a result of not understanding it to start with). It's not that we don't want to see greyhounds being adopted- of course we do- but we don't want to see the breed splashed across the headlines every day as a result of things like dog attacks. Down here, we're already seeing issues with offlead/unmuzzled greys and the simple fact of customer service is: When someone has a good experience, they tell four people. When someone has a negative experience, they tell ten. For all the work done by educated owners who do the right thing, that work can be wiped out two times over by an attack/incident involving a greyhound.

To be honest, I find your claim that I'm damaging the breed's reputation to be very offensive. I have spent ten years rehoming greys, educating people about greys and responsibly promoting the breed. I want the dogs to go to homes they are suited to, for the good of the dogs and for the good of the people who will end up with them.

I absolutely LOVE the breed and I don't think you understand how much it hurts to get on Facebook and read about how an offleash greyhound chased down someone else's dog or to see people complaining to a council's FB page about all the "irresponsible greyhound owners, letting their dogs run amok".

The reasons they are not recommended to certain people in certain threads have always been fair, from what I've seen. One person wanted a dog that could be left at home by itself for very long periods of time- SA tends to be a little more common in greys because of how they are raised. This person wants to let his dog off leash and basically leave it to its own devices- totally unacceptable for a greyhound (and probably most other sighthounds). A person with eleventybillion cats is also probably not the most suitable home. A home without fences (unless owner is willing to toilet and exercise dog on leash) is probably not suitable. A home that expects a greyhound to be a skinny version of a labrador is probably not suited. This isn't to say there's anything wrong with greyhounds, but that no one breed fits most, dogs are all individuals (but with tendencies towards certain traits) and that each home should be considered individually. People come here, ask the question and get a response based on the information they provide. That, to me, is a good thing :shrug: I wouldn't comment on breeds outside of my experience because I don't feel qualified to comment. The fact that there's less discussion around other breeds' pros/cons has nothing to do with greyhound people. There's no snobby greyhound clique (you may have noticed that Rebanne and I are not exactly besties, by any stretch of the imagination) and similarity in opinions is simply based on experience. If people don't want the advice of people experienced, I don't think they'd come here to ask in the first place? If someone suggests a totally inappropriate breed, should we all just nod, smile and agree, to "protect" the breed's reputation?

Random quote box that I can't get rid of :| 

If they want a greyhound then look at a show line .Show line puppies also need homes and arent reared as racers .

i did agility with one of our Greys,the others lived with our small dogs and trusted them 100 %.

There are ex racers competing in agility ,sledding ,tracking 

43 minutes ago, showdog said:

If they want a greyhound then look at a show line .Show line puppies also need homes and arent reared as racers .

i did agility with one of our Greys,the others lived with our small dogs and trusted them 100 %.

There are ex racers competing in agility ,sledding ,tracking 

show line greyhounds are few and far between though and plenty have just as much prey drive as race bred.

Funnily enough I was looking into a show line or a pup and they are not that easy to find . A pup appeared on gumtree the other day and was gone by the afternoon , it was blue or I would have jumped at it .

there is a Vizla on there looking for a home . 

On 22 February 2017 at 2:44 PM, westiemum said:

Secondly the reason I always say GAP greys is because of their very thorough matching process which should almost always ensure a dog well temperament matched to the new owner and their circumstances, regardless.  

Wise move, westie.  I saw the GAP Qld processes of both assessment & matching for rehoming, when our tibbie girl was a small dog 'tester'.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, juice said:

Funnily enough I was looking into a show line or a pup and they are not that easy to find . A pup appeared on gumtree the other day and was gone by the afternoon , it was blue or I would have jumped at it .

there is a Vizla on there looking for a home . 

I am 75% at breeding Phoebe later this year :)

• Like 1