Rescued and rehab for wild dog

Hi All,

I am rehabilitating a small foxy X that I captured recently in the bush. She is doing really well except I am finding it difficult to catch her to pick her up. She will not take food from my hand, no matter how tasty. Would anyone know any behaviourists who have worked with semi feral/ wild dogs? I would love to chat with one. TIA

Hi puppypaws! :)

I'm going to ask you some questions to try to help you and to give you some things to think about. I promise it isn't an attack, I just have some concerns.

Have you taken the dog to the vet for a checkup and had her thoroughly scanned for a microchip? Has she gone through the impounding process to enable a potential owner to claim her? Have you posted her photo on social media, e.g. the Lost Dogs in NSW Facebook page, assuming she was found in NSW? (based on your profile info)

The thing is, this dog may have been missing for some time and/or have an anxiety disorder contributing to/causing the 'wild' behaviour you are seeing, vs being an actual homeless/feral/wild dog.

You see I have an anxious dog myself, and what you've written 'just' sounds like a dog with an anxiety disorder who is over threshold and terrified. I'd be very careful of reading too much into it based on finding her in the bush. Someone might be missing their treasured pet. :(

I believe the dog should be seen by a veterinary behaviourist and a behavioural trainer who uses modern, science-based, force-free techniques. I can give you some contacts if you tell me your rough location, but this is assuming that you've done all the above and the dog is actually yours to keep. If that's the case, you should also have her microchipped, registered, vaccinated, desexed and wormed.

It is commendable that you wish to help this little dog. :)

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 4

Hi guys,

Its okay this dog has been through all the correct procedures including doing pound time and had veterinary work completed. She is in rescue with an A+++ rescue group. Just wanting to discuss things with a behaviourist. This dog has been bush most of its life as locals in the area know the history. Please don't make more out of this than necessary. A behaviourist is being contacted by the rescue, But I thought I'd ask who people here recommend. 

• Like 2

Hey no problem, puppypaws. I just felt the need to check, because you'd be amazed at the sorts of things you see online when it comes to people finding dogs.

If you give me your general area, and you can PM if you'd prefer, I may be able to give you some contacts. Some people I know give discounts to rescue groups. It's just that NSW is a BIG place. :)

• Like 2