greyhound-regulator-cant-rule-out-continued-live-baiting

westiemum

I do understand your frustration.  I have a family of horses that are amazingly good at what they do and have taken many australian riders to win their Quilty buckle first time they entered, some first place and national point and distance awards in endurance. Trouble is endurance rides here are a family sport. BUT the overseas market offers such big prices just about everyone accepts the offers no matter how they tell me they will keep their horse for life when they buy it,   and what is happening in Dubai is simply sickening and yes its prizemoney and kudos/ego, is the sole motivation for the slaughter that is happening there.

so the only way to protect them is not breed them or find pony club homes and hope they never take one to an endurance ride. fortunately they make great kids ponies and are just as good at sporting and dressage, their dad/granddad even won not just sporting events but dressage too. as for campdraft,\ n stockwork, they can cut as good as any qh. LOL amend that, he won second highest cutout *the winner was heritage ASH) against 115 including king ranch qh, n outpointed them. you just don't mention its an ayrab yr riding.

http://in-the-focus.com/en/2017/02/distanzsport-im-mittleren-osten/

He was 26 when this was taken, won an ironwoman race by half a mile. no kidding.  there were 14 in the field and he won it the next year by 1/4 of a mile and there was prizemoney, $250.  It was harious, the announcer said as he entered the track for the lap to the finish line, my boy,  first, silence for a while waiting for the rest of the field then said, "the rest? now where."

Aeneas26.jpg

Edited by asal

1 hour ago, juice said:

And another training caught doping his dog.

But of course he is innocent, and only gets a suspension, so someone else in his family will probably enter dogs and it really doesn't effect him.

Keep digging that hole.

You couldn't provide a link could you I can't find anything on it.

43 minutes ago, juice said:

On the news last night and on nine page this morning . 

Thanks. This is actually a good example of why the industry should continue and be made transparent. The doping allegations were last September yes I agree h should have been suspended there and then but that isn't how the law works (the idiot who killed those people in Melbourne still hasn't been charged despite the whole country knowing who it was and what he did) I wouldn't mind betting all his dogs were swabbed last night and they would have been clean as a whistle. Also it was in SA they aren't coming under the same scrutiny as NSW but it is only a matter of time. If it gets abolished and goes underground as it has in countries OS that it is banned in, no transparency and the people who would be involved in that certainly wouldn't be even vaguely concerned for the dogs welfare.  Making things illegal doesn't stop them, the road rules are an example of this, I wonder how many people on this forum can say they have NEVER since they've had their license gone even 1 km over the speed limit inadvertently or otherwise. 

24 minutes ago, m-j said:

Thanks. This is actually a good example of why the industry should continue and be made transparent. The doping allegations were last September yes I agree h should have been suspended there and then but that isn't how the law works (the idiot who killed those people in Melbourne still hasn't been charged despite the whole country knowing who it was and what he did) I wouldn't mind betting all his dogs were swabbed last night and they would have been clean as a whistle. Also it was in SA they aren't coming under the same scrutiny as NSW but it is only a matter of time. If it gets abolished and goes underground as it has in countries OS that it is banned in, no transparency and the people who would be involved in that certainly wouldn't be even vaguely concerned for the dogs welfare.  Making things illegal doesn't stop them, the road rules are an example of this, I wonder how many people on this forum can say they have NEVER since they've had their license gone even 1 km over the speed limit inadvertently or otherwise. 

By this same logic, we should make dog fighting legal. Or maybe live coursing. I mean, if people are going to do it anyway, why not repeal the legislation regarding live baiting?

Do you honestly believe that illegal greyhound racing would attract many participants? Bull baiting used to be a popular sport but you don't hear about many underground bull baiting rings these days.

I think there are some good arguments for the continuation of greyhound racing (such as the preservation of the racing greyhound type) but I really don't think your argument is one of them.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Maddy said:

By this same logic, we should make dog fighting legal. Or maybe live coursing. I mean, if people are going to do it anyway, why not repeal the legislation regarding live baiting?

Do you honestly believe that illegal greyhound racing would attract many participants? Bull baiting used to be a popular sport but you don't hear about many underground bull baiting rings these days.

I think there are some good arguments for the continuation of greyhound racing (such as the preservation of the racing greyhound type) but I really don't think your argument is one of them.

Exactly. Not to mention there's a bit of a logistics problem in running illegal Greyhound races vs illegal dog fights. Fights can be run in dingy basements with a pit made out of four wooden planks in small spaces, making them more difficult to detect. 

You need a hell of a lot more space and permanent structures to run an illegal Greyhound race, and it'd be pretty damn hard to keep that undetectable. 

• Like 1

You only need to look at other things that are illegal, drugs being one example it takes a lot more ground to grow a crop of marijuana on a  commercial (for want of a better word) basis than it would to have a rough race track, even with hydroponics, yet they manage it. The countries overseas that have decriminalised drugs still have addicts but the criminal organisations have gone onto selling other illegal items) as the trade for drugs isn't as good anymore and the addicts are safer which is more than can be said for the drug users over here.

Yes I do believe that people would participate in illegal dog racing here just like they do overseas. It would be another racket that organised crime could indulge in.  With dog fighting, live lure coursing the sport itself is cruel, dog racing isn't cruel only the human cheats are, the dogs love it just like lure coursers, flyball dogs love their sport.

Maybe the minority will still spoil it with the new reforms (if they go through) for the majority, but I've noticed that people are not so worried about speaking up now not like they used to be. and having covert surveillance laws changed will certainly make it easier to actually catch people.  Change has happened and still is happening. As I have said before to take another industry away and put more people from the industry and the industries that depend on it out there vying for the few jobs that are available (compared to the people looking for work) would not be a good thing for anybody.

8 hours ago, asal said:

I do understand your frustration.  I have a family of horses that are amazingly good at what they do and have taken many australian riders to win their Quilty buckle first time they entered, some first place and national point and distance awards in endurance. Trouble is endurance rides here are a family sport. BUT the overseas market offers such big prices just about everyone accepts the offers no matter how they tell me they will keep their horse for life when they buy it,   and what is happening in Dubai is simply sickening and yes its prizemoney and kudos/ego, is the sole motivation for the slaughter that is happening there.

so the only way to protect them is not breed them or find pony club homes and hope they never take one to an endurance ride. fortunately they make great kids ponies and are just as good at sporting and dressage, their dad/granddad even won not just sporting events but dressage too. as for campdraft,\ n stockwork, they can cut as good as any qh. LOL amend that, he won second highest cutout *the winner was heritage ASH) against 115 including king ranch qh, n outpointed them. you just don't mention its an ayrab yr riding.

http://in-the-focus.com/en/2017/02/distanzsport-im-mittleren-osten/

He was 26 when this was taken, winning an ironwoman race by half a mile. no kidding.  there were 14 in the field and he won it the next year by 1/4 of a mile and there was prizemoney, $250.

Aeneas26.jpg

Wow 26!  he looks great.

This was taken the next year , waiting for the presentation, he is 27 there, amazing horse but thats how the old dept of agriculture horses were. they were selected and bred to improve the station horses, the only difference between him and a heritage ASH is breeding unknown.

He is heavily linebred to Kars who spent his lifetime in the hunter vally along with two bay arabian mares.

Kars was a warhorse who survived the Battle of Kars in Armenia and later exported to australia after a short time in England.

Opps the Battle of Kars was 1745, the Campaign of Kars was much later.  1877, he was imported to australia in 1885

mine is descended from a Kars daughter imported later whose pedigree wasnt lost  like the three above.

Anyway the real tragedy for both is a very small number of people will stop at nothing to win, be it greyhounds or horses

Aeneas_winner_at_27.jpg

Edited by asal

14 minutes ago, asal said:

This was taken the next year , waiting for the presentation, he is 27 there, amazing horse but thats how the old dept of agriculture horses were. they were selected and bred to improve the station horses, the only difference between him and a heritage ASH is breeding unknown.

He is heavily linebred to Kars who spent his lifetime in the hunter vally along with two bay arabian mares.

Kars was a warhorse who survived the Battle of Kars in Armenia and later exported to australia after a short time in England.

mine is descended from a Kars daughter imported later whose pedigree wasnt lost  like the three above.

Aeneas_winner_at_27.jpg

I know next to nothing  about Arabs but I have heard they are good endurance horses, but to be still doing it as his age and winning I think is very commendable

Even if it did go underground you wouldn't have the mass wastage you have now . And getting criminals involved ...... Well where do they get the drugs from now they pump into the dogs ? I'm sure plenty have criminal contacts already . 

35 minutes ago, juice said:

Even if it did go underground you wouldn't have the mass wastage you have now . And getting criminals involved ...... Well where do they get the drugs from now they pump into the dogs ? I'm sure plenty have criminal contacts already . 

Did you read the link I put up? If the reforms go through wastage will be minimal, unless the 100s of thousands of trainers in Aus can find as many corrupt vets, which we all know just wouldn't happen.  The percentage of positive swabs they get is very small now so I doubt there are plenty with criminal connections, but I'm not denying  some must obviously. If it did go underground the wastage % would  skyrocket not to mention the atrocious conditions they would need to endure.