Training a Cavalier pup

Okmum

Hi! Picked up our new Cavalier pup at 8 weeks yeasterday!  I have a 2.5yr old Ridgy x who we began training the moment we got him, he was very food driven so quite easy! Now this gorgeous girl... doesn't seem to be driven by anything except sleep ATM? I've been taking her out for the toilet, with no accidents inside today. Last night she slept in her own in the living room where my boy sleeps. I woke at 4.30 in a panic that she hadn't woken. She was sound asleep, had been to the toilet on her puppy pad but that was it. She woke as I appraosched her, took her out for a wee and she went back I. Her pen, a little whimper and that was it. She is happy to lay and sleep on the grass.. and doesn't seem to need to follow us around. I know she will grow up and 'wake up" but what do I do in the mean time? 

Be patient! Give her at least a few days to get used to her new home...once she does start responding then you can start training. In the meantime just keep her on a steady routine. She may or may not respond to treats - some dogs prefer praise or play to treats for rewards.

If she doesn't become a bit brighter over the next few weeks, then a vet visit to discuss would be a good idea. Perhaps wait until her next needle and see how she goes, but it is too early to worry yet! :)

• Like 1

Thanks! She has suddenly 'woken' up in the last hour... has been running around and playing...and eating her dry food.  Its been a long time since I have had an 8 week old pup! might be a different story for us tonight by the sounds of it! lol

• Like 2