Puppy Poop. I'm worried!

Bichoodle love

Hello, I'm new here.  One week ago we got a little Bichon Frise x Toy poodle (Bichoodle) girl who was the smallest of her litter.  She was about the same size as the 6 week old toy poodle the breeder had.  She is 10 weeks old tomorrow.

Ever since we got her she has had diarrhea.  At first I thought it was just change in diet and circumstances, so I fed her nothing for 24 hours except water and then just fed her plain boiled chicken breast and white rice for the following day.  She has since been on dry dog food and water only.  She has eaten ok, until today.

Her poops have been so runny it's not funny and now last night and today there is also mucous and I saw a tiny bit of blood too.  She is lethargic today as well.

I took her to the Vet on Thursday morning and she said she was fine and gave her a worm tablet.  But this just can't be right. 

We got our boy at 10 weeks and he has never had a problem.  Normal poop always.

I'm really worried about her as she's soooooo tiny.  Thinking I should return to the vet again tomorrow and fork out another $75.

Mucous and a little bit of blood is a sure fire indicator that pup has worms... see how she goes over the next couple of days... unless she gets worse - then straight to the vet, OK?

I'd also try mixing in a little bit of human grade raw chicken mince with her dry food, that will thicken up the poos too.

Sounds like the breeder you got her from might not have been worming the pups as regularly as they should have... that would account for the small size as well, if she has a decent worm burden and has had for a while.

Also, when she has her vaccinations, don't worm on the same day... wait 24-48 hours after the vaccination to worm pup.

I've fostered over 200 pups of all young ages over the years... and I would't be overly concerned with a pup displaying the symptoms you describe. Worming should sort it out, OK?

T.

• Like 2

I would go back to the vet - breeder unknown, runt puppy ... she most likely has worms , BUT there could be another problem  in her gut as well, which is maybe why she is smaller .... 

Tdierkx has heaps of experience ..and gives sound advice. if this was a puppy from a reputable breeder , I'd probably not have the concerns I do. 

I'd get a poo sample , fresh, to take to vets as well. Lethargy is not a really good sign.

best of luck with her :)

I would be back at the vets & getting a poop sample tested .

There could be numerous reasons but long term runs & lethargic pup is not normal .

Pumpkin is better than rice but what ever the issue is the pup needs to go on to bland food as its gut will be overwhelmed .

Yoghurt can be added.

Have you spoken to the people who sold you the pup??

In there paperwork did it list when pup was last wormed & with what product??

Pup is most likely due for its next vacc but we wouldn't vaccinate a poorly pup so this is something you need to discuss with your vet .

Make sure to question the vets diagnosis ,don't let them fob you off .

What was pup feed prior to you getting it ??What where you feeding it?

Was it an active pup when you visited it before coming home or did you not see the pup & litter mates??

• Like 3

If the pup is as tiny as you say I would certainly not be fasting it for 24hrs as the smaller they are the easier it is for their blood sugar to crash.  I would be going straight back to the vet asap.  Hope the little mite gets better soon.

• Like 5

Chronic runs could also mean coccidia... a fecal float will tell if that is the case... or you can try prophylactically treating with a dose of Baycox (used for pigs, but can be used off label for dogs/cats). We used to use Baycox on pups as it is a single dose liquid treatment as opposed to the really bitter Trizene tablets that need to be given twice a day, and pups hate them with a passion!

Baycox dosage for puppies is 0.4ml per kg body weight.

T.