Stress: I feel like such a traitor

sandgrubber

After all the months of vaccinations and blood tests and wormings and paperwork, it's finally happening.  My three fly to New Zealand on Tuesday.  I follow five days later.  It's a long flight.  The dogs get to overnight in Los Angeles before flying on to get put in quarantine in Auckland.  I know, they'll be fine.  They are three generations, mother, daughter, grand daughter, and very close.  So they'll have one another.  Or so I keep telling myself.  But I'm so unnerved, and my stomach won't settle.  Not much I can do about it, though. 

• Like 1

How I relate.  Nothing like your experience, though.  I was a complete nervous wreck just taking one of my dogs from Sydney to Brisbane :laugh::laugh:.  As soon as possible, I had the stewardess get me a glass of wine.   

Keep trying to look ahead to when you will all be on the ground and back together.  

Best of luck that all goes smoothly.     

• Like 1

They'll be fine, SG.  But I totally understand how you'd feel stressed.

When my tibbie was flown to Brisbane from Canberra, I was so worried.

The pet transport man phoned me from Brisbane Airport & told me to go into the back garden so I could see her Qantas flight descending to the airport.  It was a strange feeling watching her plane come in.

But I keep telling myself, my other tibbie, Annie, flew from Sweden, where she was born, to Sydney.

The first leg was a grand mess, though the outcome was ok.  The pet transport company worked really hard on the import requirements but totally forgot about domestic travel requirements.  So I showed up at the loading dock at 7:30 am and they say: "Where's your health clearance?"  Turns out a vet has to sign off within ten days of a domestic flight, but no one warned me.  I was 2 hours away from home, in a city I don't know well, fortunately, with a friend who is a good navigator.  Lots of calls to lots of vets.  They all have surgery in the morning and can't see us until afternoon.  Meanwhile we miss two possible flights.  Finally get a veterinary booking at 1 pm, and a booking for a flight where they load at 2 pm. The vet charged $240 for taking temps, looking in their mouths, and listening to their chests, then filling out a simple form. Took all of 15 minutes.  Horrible flight.  One stop, with 2 hours lay over.  But the dogs did make it to LA, and the pictures I've been sent look as though they are reasonably happy.  On to Auckland in another hour or two.  That's presuming no one has screwed up on the very complicated paperwork..

• Like 1

what is your flight number and departure details Sandgrubber? (if that is not an invasion of your privacy)

We can all keep an eye on your doggies for you here--> https://flightaware.com/live/

I have added this link as I think it's sandgrubber's plane

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANZ5

She has just left LA

Edited by Boronia
Edited to add a flight Tracking link
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2017 at 4:09 PM, Boronia said:

what is your flight number and departure details Sandgrubber? (if that is not an invasion of your privacy)

We can all keep an eye on your doggies for you here--> https://flightaware.com/live/

I have added this link as I think it's sandgrubber's plane

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANZ5

She has just left LA

The girls are now in quarantine.  Jane, at Auckland quarantine writes that they are doing well, though my old girl looks confused.  I'd say she has every reason to be confused.  I'm still in the US packing (ugh).  Miss the girls, but they wouldn't have been much help packing.  I fly out on Sunday . . . arrive Tuesday.  Thanks Baronia for the info/link and thanks everyone for the support.  I'm not getting any younger and decided if I was going to move back to Oceania, I'd better do it while I have the strength to move.

Edited by sandgrubber
didn't finish typing but somehow it posted for me
  • Like 2

Have been visiting the girls in quarantine for the last few days.  NZ quarantine is not all that bad or that expensive.  It's all the testing before and the transport costs that get you.  The facility is as it has to be . . . dogs never leave easily cleanable surfaces, kennels are pretty large, but there's no access to exercise areas.   But the people are nice and pretty informal, and they obviously love dogs.  You have to wear white coats when visiting, but it's clearly a beaurocrat's joke.  My dogs jump all over me and unbutton the white coat and generally max out body contact, so the silly white coat wouldn't do much good if a disease was lurking.  I guess they get something serious once in a blue moon, but mostly, everyone is healthy.  I want so badly to let them run and get some exercise.  Only two more days.  Then we drive four or five hours, stay overnight, drive again, take the ferry, and about an hour later we could be to the new place!!!! 

• Like 8

On the ferry.  Should be on South Island in a bit more than an hour.  I thought I could stay in the car with the dogs, but no...Had to leave them.  It's been a rough crossing.  Hope they're not Sicky.  Tomorrow we'll be at my new place... At last.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, sandgrubber said:

On the ferry.  Should be on South Island in a bit more than an hour.  I thought I could stay in the car with the dogs, but no...Had to leave them.  It's been a rough crossing.  Hope they're not Sicky.  Tomorrow we'll be at my new place... At last.

Oh my goodness!!  So much stress.  Poor you and poor them.  This time next week though  . . . . . . . 

• Like 1