Anti jump harness -anyone know about these?

Simply Grand

This harness is being discussed in a group I'm in as a good option to stop fence jumping/climbing escape artists.

http://jennyireland.com.au/store/products/anti-jump-harness/

image.thumb.jpg.75e478e87d0e9e8afc2b78610aba2978.jpg

Anyone have any experience with this? Thoughts?

It doesn't quite sit right with me as something to leave on an unattended dog and I would think of they attempted to jump in it they could hurt themself.

Edited by Simply Grand

With the caveat that it should never be used unsupervised, I think this could be a great device in your kit if you have a determined fence jumper.

I have had fosters who I have had to restrict to roofed runs, or indoors when not being out walked, because they leapt the house yard fences and gates. When out working in the garden when I could keep an eye on them, I would clip them to an overhead tether which gave them a little bit of galloping room - I never left them on it unattended in case they attempted to leap something and hang themselves.

I could see this harness working better than the overhead tether in that situation.I have book marked the site in case I have a future foster that leaps tall buildings in a single bound...

• Like 1

Wouldn't hobbles be easier and less likely to kill the dog? Not sure if they make dog hobbles, but I would think a set of spider hobbles would probably stop a jumper........ Unlike a horse, dogs don't really have fetlocks, so attaching to legs could be problematic I suppose

Edited by karen15

You can get dog hobbles in the USA. They are used mainly for training gun dogs. However they are even more restrictive than an anti jump harness. Personally, for fence jumping I would look at a ping string or invisible fence system, which have been discussed in previous threads.

Edited by Tempus Fugit
Spelling error

18 hours ago, Scottsmum said:

god. no. 

How long ago was it that a Doler's dog died simply because a collar was left on it in the back yard?  Any conglomeration of straps can lead to catch leg, panic, injury.  Supervision: no, not convinced, that doesn't even always work with toddlers, stuff happens in just a moment of distraction.  I think TF is right, and that harness and hobbles thinking is just a dangerous gimmick.

• Like 1