Sign in to follow this  
DogsAndTheMob

Brittanies - beautiful Brittanies

33 posts in this topic

I think it's time the Brittanies have their own sub-forum.

I'll start with a photo of my Brittany, Honey - with a friend.

IMG_0097.PNG

I hope this will be a fun place for Brittany owners to swap ideas and progress notes.

The Totally Gundogs website has lots of interesting information. Honey and I had fun yesterday, playing Follow My Leader. We were in a paddock of rough grass, and the rain had lifted lots of scents for Honey to investigate.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob
  • Like 2

Hi DogsAndTheMob and Honey :) .  

Great idea starting a Brittany sub forum! :thumbsup:

Look forward to reading about other Brittanies here.

We have a 16week old Brittany  'Jimmy'. 

He's our first ever Brittany, a little bundle of fun!

Previously over the years we have owned  Rottweilers and Staffords - much loved members of our family that we enjoyed doing obedience, endurance and showing with them.

We hope to eventually do some trialling and showing with Jimmy too.  

He's a great little pup-going well at dog school, mastered beginner class in 3 lessons, now onto class 1. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

poochmad   

I looked at this breed as my next dog, as I love gun dogs, but I didn't want a long coat.

I like the light feathering they have.

Are they full of energy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poochmad said:

Are they full of energy?

Are they full of energy? That's an understatement! Haha they're like the Energizer Bunny on caffeine shots .... and we wouldn't haven't have them any other way :) 

We welcomed our first Brittany, the beautiful Lacey, last March and we will welcome our second in about 10 days (excited!).

Lacey has been competing in conformation shows since June last year and we're both really enjoying it.

Looking forward to seeing all the other Brittany photos

:cheers:

15591037_1877190372513189_4353850419458599447_o.jpg

16722467_348101375583470_8718890689633349752_o.jpg

• Like 3

Georgeous photos, Brittany13 and Blondie_Brit. Jimmy looks so attentive sitting at heel, Brittany 13. Do you plan to compete in obedience with him? Edit - I need to pay attention: I see that you are. How different is Jimmy from your other dogs in terms of training?

And Lacey has an impressive extended gait. I hope to see you in the conformation ring, Blondie_Brit, although I doubt if I'll travel as far north as Qld.

Honey has a short but very dense coat. I'm anticipating blizzards when she moults.

What breeds of dogs have you owned previously, poochmad? I think Honey may be quite relaxed for a Brittany, because she has a much better "off-Switch" than most of the other puppies I've owned (GSDs, BCs and husky). Although she has bouts of high-energy - and the zoomies! - she's content to sleep when nothing is happening. Here she is now, waiting beside the bed.

IMG_0100.JPG

Edited by DogsAndTheMob
Inattentiveness
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DogsAndTheMob said:

And Lacey has an impressive extended gait. I hope to see you in the conformation ring, Blondie_Brit, although I doubt if I'll travel as far north as Qld.

Thank you DogsAndTheMob ... Where do you show? We're planning on travelling to Grafton in May to compete with our 2.

8 hours ago, DogsAndTheMob said:

Georgeous photos, Brittany13 and Blondie_Brit. Jimmy looks so attentive sitting at heel, Brittany 13. Do you plan to compete in obedience with him? Edit - I need to pay attention: I see that you are. How different is Jimmy from your other dogs in terms of training?

Thanks DogsAndTheMob :)

Jimmy is extremely smart- really quick to learn - quicker than the other breeds we have taught. He learned most of his basic obedience commands in 2 weeks!

In saying that though, he is also incredibly easily distracted, a lot more so than our previous dogs.

Absolutely anything can distract his attention...... an ant, a fly, a leaf, a smell, a noise.

We are finding at this early stage of his training we need a faster walking pace to keep his focus. This is hard if in a group class at dog school -the other participants often dawdle along then his mind totally wanders. He then tends to glue his little gundog nose to the ground.

Jimmy -compared to the Rotties and Staffies -is also a little sooky at times - if he does the wrong thing and he knows you aren't happy with him- his little world ends.

15 hours ago, poochmad said:

I looked at this breed as my next dog, as I love gun dogs, but I didn't want a long coat.

I like the light feathering they have.

Are they full of energy?

Yes poochmad!

Jimmy is also a little energizer bunny!! Full on when he is awake. :)

He likes to chill out and relax though of an evening with us while we watch TV and his little batteries are at their lowest. 

I. won't see you at Grafton this year, Blondie-Brit. I'll be showing in the Hunter Valley, Blondie-Brit, although I'll go as far afield as Sydney, or up to Tamworth or Port Macquarie. Maybe next year.

1 hour ago, DogsAndTheMob said:

I. won't see you at Grafton this year, Blondie-Brit. I'll be showing in the Hunter Valley, Blondie-Brit, although I'll go as far afield as Sydney, or up to Tamworth or Port Macquarie. Maybe next year.

Yes, maybe next year (although we're planning on heading up to Cairns for a 3 day show next May) ... you never know, we may cross paths in the future. We do plan on doing some shows in NSW over the next year

poochmad   

We have two Field Spaniels and they are quite laid back.

i have a bad back (2 ops) and sometimes the dogs don't get a walk.

they love racing down the stairs and around the backyard or they are happy to sleep next to me.

i wouldn't want to get a dog that requires a lot of exercise and I couldn't give that to them.

i think I will just stick to the fields.

but your dogs are beautiful and the tails make them even more so.

Edited by poochmad
  • Like 1

ness   

My brother has a 7 month old Brittany and I have to say compared to any of the three BCs I have owned (and I specifically pick the higher drive ones for my most recent two dogs for dog spots) she is crazy feral. Never seems to stop for long - complete energizer bunny. Not really happy to chill out.

16 hours ago, Blondie_Brit said:

Our new boy arrived to day .... he's the one on the left. Meet Lewis :D 

Gorgeous pup! :heart: