Growth plate

Macey1

Hi All. I am looking for some information on what will happen if a growth plate of fractured? My 8 week old jack Russell puppy has just fractured a bone in his back leg. The vet told me that he can't be certain if it's on a growth plate or if it will heal 100%. His leg is splinted and is on pain medication. Can anyone give me some insight on what would happen if he fractured his growth plate? Thank you 

It would depend on the size of the fracture if it is indeed in the growth plate... an x-ray will show some detail in that respect. Have you had x-rays done?

If it is a significant fracture in the growth plate, and it is not repaired properly, then the leg may now grow properly, and puppy will have a lifelong limp or worse.

If surgery is required, I'd be looking at pinning rather than a plate in a pup so young.

T.

He had X-ray done. Was not a large fracture, however the vet said that he can't be sure if it was on a growth plate? He is in a spilt and is to not move much for the next month. Do you think this will work?

I had a pup do this to her front leg by jumping down a step on to concrete.

The growth plate closed prematurely and she finishd up with a  slightly  twisted leg.

No good for showing, but perfectly functional.

Many years ago I had an eight week old puppy fracture her hind leg, yes the growth plate, it was minimal, so the vet splinted the leg and I had to go back two weeks later for another xray, it was not showing any inclination of healing at this stage so my vet suggested to stabilise the area to get a good result was for Macey to have a pin put in, so we had that done and she was great but as she got older, she lived until 11 years, she did get arthritis in that leg but not enough to stop her getting around and enjoying life.

2 hours ago, Macey1 said:

Okay. Thank you!! Did your pup have to have surgery?

Yes.   I think she had a wedge cut out but no pin.  Can't remember if it was the ulna or the radius  but the other one acted as a splint to keep the leg in position as she grew.

2 hours ago, JRG said:

Yes.   I think she had a wedge cut out but no pin.  Can't remember if it was the ulna or the radius  but the other one acted as a splint to keep the leg in position as she grew.

What was the wedge cut out for?

because the bone with the damaged growth plate stopped growing, so, because the other one would continue to grow and the two bones are connected, she would have finished up with a very bowed leg (like a bow and arrow type bow; ie one bone straight but short and the other longer but bow shaped).

Does that make sense?

9 hours ago, JRG said:

because the bone with the damaged growth plate stopped growing, so, because the other one would continue to grow and the two bones are connected, she would have finished up with a very bowed leg (like a bow and arrow type bow; ie one bone straight but short and the other longer but bow shaped).

Does that make sense?

Thank you!!