GSD or Rottweiler

Loba

Honestly my previous big cross-breed looked like he'd do the job but would've just licked the person. He was tall, broad, big chested and had upright ears so looked the part.

My little, adorable, mini schnauzer has done this, unasked and tbh unwanted, twice. I did want a dog that would alert bark but I don't require a dog to stand between me and an unknown male. Max did it once with a German guy (well he was speaking German) on the street who purposely stood in our way and once with a former friend who was getting too friendly when I was trying to push him off at home. Both times Max got between us and barked but didn't do anything else. You wouldn't expect that behaviour if you met him as he is a bit of a mummy's boy.

So I'm not sure just getting a puppy of a breed will work, I think she would need to select an adult that fits the bill.

Any big black dog would give a visual deterrent though, and most people on the street assume rotties or mastiffs are as likely to be aggressive as not so tend to avoid them.

• Like 3

Much harder with a pup, but definitely can be a heritable trait. So agree mostly, not so much the breed as the individual. Tho' it appears from this thread that Rotties are still a fairly  reliable choice if breed is the selection criteria.

If I couldn't be sure of parents having the traits, I would go an older dog known for the right stuff.

Edited by moosmum
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mackiemad said:

My little, adorable, mini schnauzer has done this, unasked and tbh unwanted, twice. I did want a dog that would alert bark but I don't require a dog to stand between me and an unknown male.

Any big black dog would give a visual deterrent though, and most people on the street assume rotties or mastiffs are as likely to be aggressive as not so tend to avoid them.

Yes, it depends what you need.  Our small tibetan spaniels proved to be super alert dogs. 

Home alone one night, with back door open as I went up & down to the laundry...a bloke was coming into the house.

I was in a back room folding clothes, heard nothing... but the tibbies flew up the hallway making those deep-throat growls when a dog means business.  Followed them...& found a discarded bag on back deck.  Someone coming into the house had fled when he heard the dogs' growling. 

I had no idea where the person was... out in the dark.  But the tibbies tracked him to where he was walking down the driveway next door, straight into the streetlight.  Meant I was able to give a good description to the police.  Officers said intruders hated dogs, any dogs big or small, making a noise & taking away the element of surprise. 

Couple I know say they have the perfect team for their needs.  Husband is a builder & there's equipment on their property.  His dog is a doberman & his wife's is a tibetan spaniel.  The tibetan spaniel has great hearing for picking up a stranger in fenced- off area behind the house where equipment is kept..  The small dog gives the alert bark/growl.... & the doberman strolls out to take a look and is a formidable visual deterrent (except he's always been a sweet dog).  But no stranger's hung around to test him in a situation where an intruder is attacking someone.  

Edited by mita
  • Like 3

Wow! After a slow start what a host of constructive posts! Thank you all so much. She knows that starting off with a puppy means she will have to be patient and sadly,  even when he or she is fully grown she still may never feel truly safe again.

I have forwarded her the pms recommending specific breeders and I will keep you all posted on her decision.  I love GSDs and have never owned a Rottie so I am learning lots too! 

• Like 1