Skin allergy and kennel cough vaccine

Hi,

i have a Cocker Spaniel who's skin is very sensitive. I took her to the vet 2 days ago to get some medication as her skin is inflamed, sores all over her body in particular her ears even to the extent of bleeding in places. As she was due for her kennel cough vaccine, the vet decided to give her the vaccine and said to give her the antibiotic after 3 days. The vet said that the Cephalexin reacts with the vaccine. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this. Feeling like I really need to get her some relief and give her the medication. She is so aggitated. 

Hi - welcome ..hope we can help you and your girl

she will now have a lot for her immune system to cope with- I wonder why the vet vaccinated  her  when she is already fighting an infection  ... :(

has the poor dog any antihistamine or steroids or something to stop the itching/pain?
has she been tested for a fungal infection?
Do you know what the allergy is?

How old  is your girl , and does she get itchy a lot ?  

if she really is in so much discomfort , and if she were mine - she would be at a different vet tomorrow .

Tonight , if you can - find a supermarket or large healthfood  place ..or tea shop ..and buy some  (dried)CALENDULA  tea.make a tea , let it cool ..and sponge dog all over - leave it on. It will soothe, and also help control bacteria/fungal spores. 

hopeffully you can find a vet who perhaps understands skin problems well :)

Theoretically the Cephalexin could interfere with the take-up of the vaccine, but as kennel cough is caused by a virus, I'm not sure that it would be very effective at it.

Surely the vet could have help off on the vaccine for a week or so in order to get the skin allergy thing under control first?

I'd be looking for another vet myself...

T.

• Like 2

I find it quite unbelievable that any vet would insult the immune system of a dog presented with skin issues, especially with what is really a non essential vaccine. 

id be looking for another vet too. 

• Like 4