Would you get a second opinion now or???

Scottsmum

Adding to the "make a change" group . The service you're getting at the moment is well below what should be the norm.

I might have missed it, but what did the vets say they are treating with the metacam.?    I'd be wanting detailed explanations and expectations.

I am so fortunate with my local vet clinic.   I'm normally able to see my main vet (the practice owner) and he is lovely with the dogs, treats me like an intelligent being, and tolerates my use of alternative therapies with the holistic vet we also see .. who does remedial massage, acupuncture, PEMF and laser .. and has an underwater treadmill .. and also uses traditional Chinese medicine as well as the Western therapies.   He is also lovely with the dogs, and knows that I use my local vets as well.  

On 3/5/2017 at 0:43 PM, Papillon Kisses said:

I agree with you on many points Airedaler. GP vets do seem to treat symptoms instead of getting to the cause. I found that with my own dog.

But I disagree with pain being used as a restraint. :(

http://www.primalpaws.com/blog/pain-should-never-be-used-as-a-restraint

I was not advocating that the dog should be in pain and if there is significant pain that needs treatment but if mild pain stops over use of the area then that is probably going to contribute to rest and healing.

• Like 2

Quick update.  I want to be careful about what I say, because while I have said I am unhappy with the level of care with my current vet  - it's complicated...

Had a consult with a new vet, had a great chat and talked through a lot of the options. She's sent me home to have a think as there was a lot to get my head around - with options which could range from do nothing and treat with stronger pain meds, to xrays - as the safe and middle of the road option, through to CT scans and lots in between. 

We discussed swapping over to them (new vets) 100%, seeing out the spinal care with the "old vets", doing some kind of split care thing & lots more. As I said, it's complicated. 

We also discussed alternate therapies - and they have someone they work with and recommend but - that person would probably want x-rays as a minimum and we also discussed a few other questions I had.

So yeh. It was a good consult, and I'm glad I did it, but it's just made this so much "realer" for me  - I've gone from "sore back" to acknowledging that there is some thing more serious going on. 

So I suppose next stop: X-rays.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Scottsmum said:

, and I'm glad I did it, but it's just made this so much "realer" for me  - I've gone from "sore back" to acknowledging that there is some thing more serious going on. 

Well, a 'sore back' needs a diagnosis anyhow :) Whether it's muscular, spinal or whatever . 

Sounds very promising for the old boy, anyhow . :)

4 minutes ago, persephone said:

Well, a 'sore back' needs a diagnosis anyhow :) Whether it's muscular, spinal or whatever . 

Sounds very promising for the old boy, anyhow . :)

Yeh, I know but I've gone from being somewhat in denial and thinking/assuming/hoping a bit of quiet time and some pain meds would sort it out, as it has in the past ...  to ... you know .... a very frank and honest conversation about spinal trauma and possible courses of action. 

And it's times like this, when it really F'ing sucks being so far from home and loved ones.. I don't have any friends here. It's me and him in a lot of ways.  and all the guilt because I was the one that put him in that kennel - even though logically I know it could or would have happened anywhere. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, persephone said:

..and it may not have actually 'happened' at the kennel ..maybe wear&tear that showed up just at that time?*shrugs*

It will be better when you find out what exactly "it' is :) 

More spoiling for Scottie :P

Thanks Perse.  

Just feeling sorry for myself. As someone else said to me tonight - why do they have to get old!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tassie said:

Adding to the "make a change" group . The service you're getting at the moment is well below what should be the norm.

I might have missed it, but what did the vets say they are treating with the metacam.?    I'd be wanting detailed explanations and expectations.

I am so fortunate with my local vet clinic.   I'm normally able to see my main vet (the practice owner) and he is lovely with the dogs, treats me like an intelligent being, and tolerates my use of alternative therapies with the holistic vet we also see .. who does remedial massage, acupuncture, PEMF and laser .. and has an underwater treadmill .. and also uses traditional Chinese medicine as well as the Western therapies.   He is also lovely with the dogs, and knows that I use my local vets as well.  

A chance for possible inflammation to settle. 

5 minutes ago, Tassie said:

It's such a complicated thing isn't it .. we're so fortunate that they get to get old ... but it gets hard for us.     That sounds like a productive consult though ..

It was a great consult - I really liked her. & really appreciated her frankness 

• Like 2

I knew a dog who had hurt his back lost the use of his hind quarters, these people who went to my vet, so xrays were done and my vet gave them three options, PTS, this was out of the question at the time, have expensive surgery or the third option was to do accupuncture, they opted for third, our vet is also a registered accupuncturist, so they did this for six weeks, he had to be confined, they borrowed my lidded puppy pen, only to be let out with a sling under the belly attached to a lead for toileting. 

Well after the six weeks this dog was up and walking around albeit  slow to start with, he was only two years old, slowly but surely he gained 100% of his muscle tone, had bi weekly checkups with the vet for the first three months, then went on to live a full active life until he was about ten years old.

He damaged his back by jumping and bouncing off of the fence at the dog next door, never got that opportunity again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the dog chiro the other day - she was excellent and seems to have made a really positive impact on him. He's moving a lot more freely. So that's great. She's also given me some massages to do to help keep him a bit more limber and we'll see her again in 2 weeks when she's next in the region. She made similar observations about my vets, without even prompting. Which was re-assuring and not at the same time. 

Wish I'd called her first thing! :( 

• Like 3

On 05/03/2017 at 0:43 PM, Papillon Kisses said:

I agree with you on many points Airedaler. GP vets do seem to treat symptoms instead of getting to the cause. I found that with my own dog.

But I disagree with pain being used as a restraint. :(

http://www.primalpaws.com/blog/pain-should-never-be-used-as-a-restraint

sometimes its not such a good idea to mask pain entirely, otherwise they wont rest the injoured area.

• 2 weeks later...

So we finished our initial course of pain killers. Long story short - he's started a new course of pentasan & been given a re-fill of pain meds. 

I've also started him on glucosamine and chondroitin & the chiro should be here this week.

The pentasan / glucosamine and chondroitin combo seems to be working well. He had his pentsan injection on Friday morning & tonight was the first time in a really long time that he actually trotted along on his walk and didn't slow down or drag his feet since this all started. So that's great.  I really wish I had pushed for pentasan 5 weeks ago when this started.  I asked for it and was told it wouldn't be much help. I really wish I'd stuck to my guns. :( 

• Like 3