help save buddy petition

asal

I have no idea if it is too late and the dog has already been killed but this is on FB

and I am a little suprised no one is talking about it here?

a woman attemped to kill her two sons, one is dead the dog saved the other childs life and is facing death

or have i missed the story here?  anway here is the link it it is not too late to protest the dogs destruction

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/help-save-buddy.html?sh=v%2FV3Fm36pW6jlhzNG4jPGcA7u65RcEHvSZmMq0GwMkS6mN0b8Cao

Probably because of conflicting media reports, mainly ones that say the boy was attacked when he was trying to escape from his mother and got bitten in the process.   Badly enough to require surgery.

Not sure why the dog was loose though, I'll wait till more of the story comes out before I sign anything.

Terrible tragedy all round. 

Edited by Cazablanca
to clarify
  • Like 1

I believe Buddy bit the mother and son ...

I also believe it was not a pre meditated thing .. as I've seen a similar thing here when we work in sheep yards. :( A dog just gets 'switched on' by the movement and noise ..and bites away ... 

That case is just so horribly sad  anyhow .. the poor little boy who survived - what scars and memories will always be with him ? :cry:

That's what I thought as well Perse, reacting to the goings on...earlier media reports say he was bitten in the water, now saying when he was on the bank running away.

And the owners are saying the dog was trying to save the boy, but if that was the case, he would have only attacked the mother, still haven't heard why the dog was loose though, so I'm not quite buying the owners version of events just yet.

Agree the boy will be scarred (mentally & physically) for life.  :(

• Like 1

Such a unimaginable tragedy all around.  Unless the little boy in hospital can remember with any clarity, we will never know the full story.  My immediate thoughts are with what Persephone said.  Can you imagine the emotional charge in the air that the dog would have picked up on?  Poor dog would have been driven into a frenzy of conflicting actions as well, I imagine.  I just hope there is someone in the pound with some sense and gives Buddy the benefit of the doubt.   

I also read on FB that the father who never even met the little boy (and his fatherhood is questioned) who died and hasn’t seen the other for about 6 years, started a crowd funding operation so he could travel to the hospital and funeral.  :eek: :eek:

When I was growing up and even into adulthood, the thing that always gave me comfort was that, no matter what the situation, I could always turn to my parents for help and/or comfort.  For some children not to have that must be just about the worst thing ever.  

I just hope the grandmother is emotionally strong enough to help him (and herself) through this terrible terrible time which will never entirely end.   

• Like 1

no body today would admit their dog is a pitty. looking at the photos of the dog, if that is Buddy, he is identical to the puppies I was asked to chip whose proud owner said they were pure red nosed pitties.  but that was before bsl.

I dont know about any one here, has anyone ever seen a staffie that that colour? english staffy I mean.

americn staffy and pit bull are one in the same in america, many are double registered, funny how a trip overseas  to the land of oz they become seperate breeds even x 's

from my days of breeding I only see that colouring when the dog has the gold gene and two chocolate genes, anyone seen a different gentic combination to get the same look?

either way, in such an awful situation that occured that day, I dont know what the reaction of any dog would have been regardless of breed

I just read that Buddy is going home ( don't know how to post a link )

from the Riverine Herald

UPDATE 4.25pm: THE dog involved in the Moama river tragedy on Thursday will be returned to its owners.

The pitbull was seized by Murray River Council rangers on Thursday night at the request of NSW Police.

Murray River Council interim general manager Margot Stork said NSW Police had since advised council their investigations found the dog was responding to extreme circumstances.

‘‘It is likely that the dog was acting in reasonable defence of the nine-year-old boy that was subsequently hospitalised,’’ she said.

‘‘The NSW Police have advised council that they will not be seeking an order to destroy this animal.’’

A petition ‘Help Save Buddy’ was launched on the weekend to protect the pitbull, who many believe had saved the nine-year-old boy.

‘‘The dog is well and presently being cared for in a Murray River Council facility,’’ Ms Stork said.

‘‘Since the incident, we have microchipped the dog and are working with the dog’s owner to register the dog and set up the appropriate conditions to enable the dog to return home.

‘‘The owner has visited the dog at council’s facility and is working with us to ensure compliance with all obligations under the Companion Animals Act.’’

I wonder if that means it getting a dangerous dog tag and has to be on an enclosure ? 

I thought it sounded like he got over  stimulated by it all . Only the boy can say . 

Poor kid , living with the knowledge his mum tried to kill him and guilt he made it and his brother didn't . 

I read there were 2 different dads to the boys ? 

• Like 1

I thought the dog broke out of his yard when hearing the commotion and then bit the boy and woman. I thought as the time he was doing what so many other dogs would do, get in on the fun and bite. I doubt he was trying to save the boy at all but was way over stimulated by the screams etc. Of course his owners are going to put a positive spin on it and I don't blame them but I hope they fix up the fences

• Like 3

AND note, he wasnt microchipped.  that I believe applies to the majority of dogs in this country.

stupid stupid pollies, busy passing laws to stop puppy farms, to micromange the idiots who do the right thing and register their dogs and do follow the ever increasing rules being used to smother those who try to keep their breed going.

the dogs filling the pounds are the ones comming from the invisibles and it will be the invisibles that keep dogs and dog breeds going. the KCC's will implode, there are less and less members and less and less main registered puppies every year.

Edited by asal

12 minutes ago, Tempus Fugit said:

Is it normal for farm dogs to be registered?

In my Shire, farm dogs are given a discount on registration but they are certainly supposed to be registered with the Shire, and if picked up roaming and impounded the owner will have to register them when claiming.

Not sure what the rules are in every state.

I am not sure if Moama is in the Central Division or the Western Division of NSW – hard to say, looks border line but these are the rules on the 3 divisions of the state regarding working dog, assuming Buddy was a working dog.

Livestock working dog If your livestock working dog is ordinarily kept in the Western Division of NSW that does not fall within a local government area or on land rated as farmland, it does not have to be microchipped or registered

http://workingdogalliance.com.au/resources/legislation/nsw/

It goes on to say

A livestock working dog that has been declared as a nuisance dog, a restricted dog or a declared dangerous dog, must be microchipped and registered with your local council.

So I think you might be right Juice. A dangerous dog classification.

I read somewhere on msn that the property backs onto the river so don't think there were any fences along the river.

NSW_Land_Divisions.png

Edited by Dogdragon
spelling spelling spelling

Well, according to the NSW Companion Animals Regulations Part 3 Section 16:

(l) a working dog that is ordinarily kept in a part of the Western Division of the State that is not within a local government area,
(m) a working dog that is ordinarily kept on land categorised as farmland for the purposes of Part 3 of Chapter 15 of the Local Government Act 1993 .
doesn't have to be registered in accordance with Section 9 of the Companion Animals Act.
I wonder how many farmers actually bother to register a dog kept on their property whether or not it is used for livestock herding?
I think they still have to be chipped though.