Importing new breeds

AshleyS

Hello, A friend advised me to sign up and ask for opinions here. I've seen similar threads on this forum but I don't want to necro such old threads.

I'm making it my life goal to bring the Eurasier breed to Australia. Although it still won't be for several years as I'd like to own a large property first as well as finish my veterinary course. I've done lots of research into the process but I would love to hear other peoples thoughts.

My current plan is to contact the UK Eurasier Club and find two breeders who would help me out. I will be travelling to London in 2021 for a family event. Since puppies need to be at least 10 months old before they can be imported, I was thinking of purchasing two pups from different bloodlines in 2020, making an agreement with the breeder to hold them until I travel there, and bring them back with me. That way I can meet the puppy and parent dogs and be sure they are from good bloodlines and raised in a good environment.

I'm aware it will cost a lot. From what I can tell, the puppy, vet records, import permit and quarantine alone will be around $9000 per dog. 

Becoming a registered breeder shouldn't be too hard since the Eurasier is already a recognized breed. 

Am I overlooking something that could cause a problem? My biggest concern is that nobody in Australia has any knowledge of the breed, so the only people who would inquire about future litters are people who are only interest in "rare, exotic" dogs, not the breed itself. 

• Like 1

An example here

Umm there are certainly Eurasiers here and for quite a few yrs. 

ive personally met some at shows in SA several yrs ago and groomer friends currently service some here in SA too. 

That said it's always great to get new bloodlines into Australia but I'd do more research on what is and has been brought here already. 

Edited by mingaling

The breed was established here but I don't think anyone has continued with them .They where shown regularly .

There not exotic there a breed of dog and you don't base your decision on who will buy puppies .

its either a breed you are committed to owning no matter what the outcome or your not ,if you plan to keep breeding them then you will need to bring semen in or new dogs in over long term or simply breed the two for multi litters and stop ,

i would suggest that the costs to bring them in will be much more buy then .

If you were going to bring in 2 dogs then I would bring in bitches and then import semen down the track. You can't actually bring them back with you. There is quite a process to go through and being able to line up everything so that they are on the same plane would be, I think, near impossible. Then of course there is quarantine. I'd say you would be closer to $15,000 per dog then 9.

I'd be busy getting to know the breeders now and once in England meet with them and then look at buying something while being guided by the breeders.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Back in 2002 when I was lucky enough to adopt my Eurasier there were about 23 in the country. I knew of mine, one in QLD and one in SA. My beauty passed away 2 years ago and I know one of the others passed in 2014. The lady that brought them in also passed away a few years ago - a terrible shame, she was an advocate for the breed. When I was looking for my lady, the adoption process was extremely strict both here and overseas. Eurasiers are not backyard dogs - they need to be with their family at all times. They are extremely loyal to one or two members of the household but also love the others. You will need to do a lot of research before any of the decent breeders will deal with you. They are very passionate about the breed as are a lot of breeders of other dogs.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi AshleyS, I have started researching the Eurasian and am disappointed that I can’t seem to find breeders here in Australia. 

It would be great if you could provide updates on your progress with this project!

Thanks,

H

• Like 1

Sorry if this is off topic slightly, are we able to bring to Australia a pet dog purchased overseas if they’re not a breed recognised here? 

Not a proscribed (?) breed or prohibited one or anything, just one which 99.99% of people wouldn’t have ever seen here or heard of before?

Assuming they were legal to own in the country you went to buy them from, you’ve got their vet checks etc done ready for our quarantine requirements, would it be the same as coming back from a year overseas with your newly acquired CockAPoo in tow?

Yes, it just needs to go through the required vetwork, checks and quarantine etc. Only prohibited breeds are not allowed. 

I might be wrong but I remember a guy who did a long solo trek/ride through Mongolia ended up going through the rigamorole to get the dog he met and adopted over there brought back to Aus and it was of unknown heritage in an area where wolves and restricted breeds are around. 

47 minutes ago, CharbearsMa said:

Sorry if this is off topic slightly, are we able to bring to Australia a pet dog purchased overseas if they’re not a breed recognised here? 

Not a proscribed (?) breed or prohibited one or anything, just one which 99.99% of people wouldn’t have ever seen here or heard of before?

Assuming they were legal to own in the country you went to buy them from, you’ve got their vet checks etc done ready for our quarantine requirements, would it be the same as coming back from a year overseas with your newly acquired CockAPoo in tow?

No problems except the usual paperwork, quarantine etc

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi AshleyS and Howie,

I am also interested in any update on this thread, as a fellow Eurasier fan. I’ve been periodically checking this thread and scanning the web for a few years now.

I do believe their might be some in the country, however still rare and I think even misrepresented... it is an unfamiliar breed here and in 2002 my family found “chow” puppies in Brisbane... I believe that our pup, and the rest of the litter, were very likely Eurasiers - our boy was tall and slender, athletic, wonderful and loyal temperament and incredibly intelligent. He was not stubborn like our previous chow and current chow, but wanted to please. He could have been a cross, but he looked and acted like a Eurasier. I also showed photos of him to a vet when I was in Europe and she instantly identified him as a Eurasier. 

Mel - your comment also peaked my interest. I wonder how you found yours and learned of the others, back in 2002 (!)

12 hours ago, Tabbyw said:

Hi AshleyS and Howie,

I am also interested in any update on this thread, as a fellow Eurasier fan. I’ve been periodically checking this thread and scanning the web for a few years now.

I do believe their might be some in the country, however still rare and I think even misrepresented... it is an unfamiliar breed here and in 2002 my family found “chow” puppies in Brisbane... I believe that our pup, and the rest of the litter, were very likely Eurasiers - our boy was tall and slender, athletic, wonderful and loyal temperament and incredibly intelligent. He was not stubborn like our previous chow and current chow, but wanted to please. He could have been a cross, but he looked and acted like a Eurasier. I also showed photos of him to a vet when I was in Europe and she instantly identified him as a Eurasier. 

Mel - your comment also peaked my interest. I wonder how you found yours and learned of the others, back in 2002 (!)

The people who brought them in where very well known in the show world so the breed was easy to learn about back then & well promoted by those that had them .

Your chow could simply be a chow or have Finnish Lapphund in it ,the Lappies are quite common in Australia & a better chance of one of those being used in a cross breeding than a Eurasier

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi

i am just wondering if you went ahead with your idea.  My partner has always loved the Euraisier breed and we have been looking how we could import from maybe America. If there was a breeder in Australia that would be amazing 

9 hours ago, Staceylea said:

Hi

i am just wondering if you went ahead with your idea.  My partner has always loved the Euraisier breed and we have been looking how we could import from maybe America. If there was a breeder in Australia that would be amazing 

It’s probably very unlikely you’ll get a response. Looking at the OP’s profile - they haven’t visited DOL since 2018. 

You could try to message them to see if it triggers an email notification.