Ectopic ureta

Diseysan

Hi everyone!

we have rescued a Goldie pup who we think may have ectopic ureta but she's not always wet. Anyone had this and found out it was vulva vaginal stentonotis ( sorry spelling is prob way off) ???

With ectopic ureta, dribbling of urine can be intermittent, so the pup would not necessarily always be wet. The condition is well known in Golden Retrievers.

If stenosis is suspected, a dye can be introduced into the urinary system under anaesthetic and X-rays or scans taken to establish if a stenosis is present, but ectopic ureta is more common than stenosis.

My Goldie had a vulva vaginalnstenosis. We had an MRI and lots to tests done at the Animal Referral Hospital in Homebush NSW. It was complicated but what appeared to be happening is that urine would pool in her urethral because of the stenosis, this would happen when she was lying down. Sometimes urine would leak out while she was lying down and when she stood up she would have a pool of urine under her flanks. Also when she first stood up she would leak. The vet loosened the stenosis under anaesthetic which helped a bit but her final diagnosis was that she needed a medication called Propalin to strengthen her bladder control.
I am sorry that my details are a bit vague but this happened 5 years ago and I don't remember all the details.
She was on Propalin from the time she was 6 months old. It is a very strong medication and I was not really happy about her being on it
Unfortunately she died very suddenly when she was 3 1/2 years old. The vet could not find a reason for her sudden death (we did not do an autopsy) but he thought it was a stroke
If it is just a stenosis, as I said, the vet could open it up. I am not sure of the details now but I know she did try that and it did help.
Speak to your vet about that.
I am a bit upset to hear of another Goldie with the same problem, good luck with your puppy
If you are in Sydney try to get to the Animal Referral Hospital - they are very good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk