Wanted two puppys - small lowshedding

Hi all, I have a friend who is looking to add two puppy's to their family. They are looking for low shedding and definitely want puppy's and small in size. They are looking for Maltese, poodles x's and open to anything but must be low shedding.

They are a wonderful family and have three children one who has just been through cancer. They would love to do rescue but have not had much luck. If anyone knows any puppy's currently in rescue needing homes pls let me know. The family are based in Sydney.

Thanks all.

check HERE.

Your friends may also not be aware that most dogs that don't shed will need proper grooming/clipping   very regularly . They are more work than shedding dogs ;) 

Some more info  just so they make a good choice> HERE and  HERE

With regard to getting two pups ..this can be a bit tricky . Some explanation is HERE  for them :)

I wish them good luck :)

• Like 1

Thanks, persephone for all the links. Yes they are very aware of the regular grooming and both parents have had dogs and cats their whole life so they know what they are letting themselves in for. :-) We have been looking on Petrescue regularly but nothing seems to come up.

You have to be fast for little breed pups, especially fluffies. :) Though some are born in rescue or come in as neonates. Many in Sydney are adopted straight from the pound (rescue gets 2nd choice over the public). If you still can't find one maybe the AWL or RSPCA may have had litters or surrenders. Join all the pound & ethical rescue FB pages too as not everyone uses PetRescue. And some interstate rescues will fly their pets to new homes but not all.

But in all cases be fast to get your application in. Even with the smooth coated pups we've had received about 20 applications each and many more PetRescue inquiries. Our inbox exploded! :eek:

• Like 3

A lot of rescues won't adopt small breeds out to families with lots of little kids as they can be rough with them . There are plenty for sale on gumtree , they don't need rescue because they sell easily . 

• Like 1

The children are late primary school and knowing the family they are very gentle. Anyway I thought I would ask here first as the family had been looking on gumtree so I gave them some education :-). At the end of the day they might end up buying from gumtree if they can't find a rescue one. I can only do so much to help.  I have a rescue cat 15 years old and a rescue dog 6 years and the children are so gentle with ours.

Edited by sydneygirl
  • Like 1

If they don't want a purebred that doesn't shed ( no guarantee with a X it won't) , they are going to be sourcing them from less than genuine sources . Any that did make rescue would have come from the same source anyway that didn't sell. Why not tell them to get a well bred purebred that doesn't shed ? Any reason they don't want a pure poodle or malt ?

Edited by juice
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, sydneygirl said:

Thanks for the suggestions ..... but no.

We have been trying to contact this one but can't even get an answer or leave a message

https://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/526794

Hmmm  ... my radar went 'ping'  ;) Facebook page link doesn't  work , website link doesn't work ...and twitter account last entry was 2011!!!

Edited by persephone
  • Like 1

Small fluffy dogs generally are hard to find in rescue, even harder to find ones that aren't troubled with behaviour & separation issues etc. small fluffy puppies, near impossible! 

Over here in SA I'd been looking around for a smaller dog for a while. I was happy to take an adult dog, but I had to find the right one, not just one for the sake of it. By complete chance while looking at the RSPCA shelter, having found only the usual working dog mixes, staffy crosses, foxy/Jack Russell types, I was talking to a staff member about my situation and what I was looking for. After a good 10 mins she says hang on I think we have a small dog who's not in the adoption area yet. She called up to see if someone could bring him down. He seemed promising on first sight, and after spending 1/2 hrs with him, was able to put a hold on him. He needed his vet  work done before adoption. So I waited almost 2 weeks and finally got a call I could come and collect him. That was 2 weeks ago now, and 6.5 yo 'Tits' has settled in perfectly. I guess the point of my story is that sometimes it pays to scratch beneath the surface, and as others have already said, to get a little fluffy in shelter/ rescue, you pretty much have to be in the right place at the right time. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by mingaling
  • Like 3